SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Primer drag on brand-new P365
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Primer drag on brand-new P365 Login/Join 
posted
Went to the range with my buddy who just bought a brand-new P365 with manual safety. Apparently made in May 2019. He let me shoot his P365 and I gave him my G43X. We both shot 115-gr FMJ ammo from Sig and also some WWB.
The P365 grip felt good to me, but not as comfortable as G43X, maybe because it is much smaller. We are limited by 10-rd capacity anyway here in MA. What amazed me is every single casing fired from P365 had a very pronounced primer drag. Judging by the posts on this Forum, it sounded like this issue should have been solved by now. So from my first-hand experience, it has not. By looking at the holes in the primer, you could tell where the round was fired from, my G43x or his P365. I do not get it, as the guns are similar in size (except for the grip length). Otherwise the Sig fired reliably, but had a couple of failures to lock back or go fully into battery, so it needed a little smack in the back. But it was its first trip to the range. Just observations. There is a craze buying P365, and I am interested, too. But I think waiting for it would make sense. Besides, i already got the Glock.

Posts: 287 | Registered: November 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do not think Sig is trying to fix the primer drag is sure. Not be sarcastic.

Posts: 2033 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
No offense but you are getting excited about nothing. Sig has said they have primer drag and that most small guns tend to do it. My Kahrs did it, my G43, although I will admit they were less pronounced than the P365.

That being said I have 3500 trouble free rounds thru my primary P365 and 1500 trouble free rounds thru my spare P365. Both exhibit primer drag and run fine with zero parts breakages.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigarms229,

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4523 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
And this is a problem why?

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37118 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This ^^^^^^

Posts: 875 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: May 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
This primer drag nonsense keeps getting recycled. It's a nothingburger.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4359 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RR
posted Hide Post
Agree with others above. I believe the kinks are worked out. Mine is a November 18 build and it has the primer drag. I have approximately 500 rounds through it without a single malfunction of any kind. I will come right out and say I'm a P365 fanboy. Really considering getting one of those Lipsey NRA special editions in coyote also!

Posts: 449 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: October 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of throwingdown
posted Hide Post
The first gen had an issue with improper heat treatment or something along those lines.

Since then they changed the design of the striker which seems to have fixed the issue. New strikers have a beefier base.

I know some people are still concerned about breakage with higher round counts.

If I were worried, I'd just drop 37.00 for a new striker assembly and after range use throw in the new striker while cleaning the pistol. Takes two minutes. Swap back out for range time.

I have about 600 rounds down range. Last cleaning I disassembled the slide. Inspected striker. Looks new.

Posts: 423 | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mrprovy
posted Hide Post
I agree with others in regard to the striker/primer (non)issue.

As for the battery issue; this had happened to me a few times, and I'm pretty confident it's more because of my grip. With glocks, I've gotten into the habit of pressing my left thumb up against the frame when shooting. The Sig has less real estate to accommodate my thumb, and I think that my thumb is slowing the slide down and stopping it just out of battery. Again, in over 1k rounds, this had only happened 2 or 3 times.

Posts: 62 | Location: New Yorkistan | Registered: April 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hessy2000:
Went to the range with my buddy who just bought a brand-new P365 with manual safety. Apparently made in May 2019. He let me shoot his P365 and I gave him my G43X. We both shot 115-gr FMJ ammo from Sig and also some WWB.
The P365 grip felt good to me, but not as comfortable as G43X, maybe because it is much smaller. We are limited by 10-rd capacity anyway here in MA. What amazed me is every single casing fired from P365 had a very pronounced primer drag. Judging by the posts on this Forum, it sounded like this issue should have been solved by now. So from my first-hand experience, it has not. By looking at the holes in the primer, you could tell where the round was fired from, my G43x or his P365. I do not get it, as the guns are similar in size (except for the grip length). Otherwise the Sig fired reliably, but had a couple of failures to lock back or go fully into battery, so it needed a little smack in the back. But it was its first trip to the range. Just observations. There is a craze buying P365, and I am interested, too. But I think waiting for it would make sense. Besides, i already got the Glock.

So you're 'amazed' by the primer drag?

Were there actually 'holes' in the primers??

Your post strikes me as a tad over board/exaggerating a non-issue.

How much longer do you want to wait on a pistol that's already reliable?

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
A hessy fit... Razz

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I posted my review of my P365, I mentioned the primer drag. I also mentioned the same drag was on casings fired from a full size M&P .40. Non-issue. I believe that since the spring drives the striker forward, and the striker is not re-set until the slide begins rearward movement, that the striker will still be in contact with the casing in the initial unlocking. Result is primer drag, and is probably inherent to all striker fired guns. I know at least three that do so (M&P, PPQ and P365). But again, that’s my opinion.

Posts: 177 | Registered: May 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I have primer drag on one of my 50+ year old striker fired pocket pistols.

So this is not new.

Posts: 9166 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
Not just striker fired pistols. My P229 does it.

Posts: 8274 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fine, I am glad the primer drag is a non-issue. Your pistols, not mine. I am not buying P365 anytime soon. My G43X has none of that. I did shoot one brand-new P365 and simply posted observations. Best to all.

Posts: 287 | Registered: November 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Someone recently posted that they'd installed the Lightning Strike Products striker, and the drag had diminished or stopped.

Sig has a habit of saying "it's not a problem." They said this about dropping firearms that discharged. Wasn't a problem...though they'd already developed a "fix" for their military version...but vehemently denied it was a problem for civilian sales. Finally came clean (kind of) under overwhelming public pressure.

The P365 primer drag isn't an issue they've said, though numerous posters have provided first hand accounts on this site of striker failures.

Sig redesigned the striker. They did this frivolously, for no reason? No.

Does the Lightning Strike product make a difference? I don't know. I'm thinking of ordering one, though I can't see how changing the striker would alter the design or function of the pistol and eliminate primer drag.

There are a number of posters here with first hand experience with the P365 who have not experienced striker breakage. We've all experienced the drag marks; everybody knows about it, it's been well documented and heavily discussed. I have several thousand rounds through one of my P365's without issue.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sns3guppy,

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
My steel challenge gun (M&P 9 Pro) has had primer drag since the day I bought it (2+ years ago), many thousands of rounds. Never a problem.
Makes it very easy to identify my brass when picking them up after a match. Big Grin

Posts: 3810 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I inspect all my primers on spent casings from new guns. If 10% or more are off center by as much as a tenth of a millimeter, I take them to the chop saw.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15611 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
I inspect all my primers on spent casings from new guns. If 10% or more are off center by as much as a tenth of a millimeter, I take them to the chop saw.

Sweet.

Posts: 3810 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post