SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Help ID Inscription on 3rd Gen S&W 4506
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help ID Inscription on 3rd Gen S&W 4506 Login/Join 
Picture of hjs157
posted
Can anyone identify the "R1" scribed on the mag well lip of this S&W 4506? I'm mostly interested in determining if it is an internal S&W factory code or perhaps a PD ownership mark. I picked this pistol up locally from the consignment case of my LGS. It was filthy when I took possession but otherwise the pistol is in excellent condition. Thanks for looking.

1992 S&W 4506-1

Posts: 3508 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
That does not look like something S&W would have done, wouldn't they have punched it or whatever the term is called?

That looks like a police armorer and his electric engraver pen to me.

Posts: 33839 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
It designates Revision 1. There were three revisions of the 4506-1. Not counting the Revision 4 4506-1s that were made in small batches (minimum order of 50) to fill LE orders after the "official" end of production to the public in 1999.

One of my 4506-1s has the same marking. It was a former LE deparment trade in that I rescued from a pawn shop. It has a flash chromed hammer and trigger. The revisions themselves are not detailed anywhere that I can find. And a 4506-1 is still a fine 45, regardless of which revision it is. Wink Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
I just checked mine. It is a TYN serial prefix. Made in 1995. It came from the Mendotta IL Police Department. It is inscribed "190" in the magwell. That mark is an inventory control number put there by the armorer. Regards 18DAI

Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 18DAI:
I just checked mine. It is a TYN serial prefix. Made in 1995. It came from the Mendotta IL Police Department. It is inscribed "190" in the magwell. That mark is an inventory control number put there by the armorer. Regards 18DAI

My serial number prefix is TYP. There are no numbers in the magwell - as far as I can tell without removing the grip. S&W Wesson CS indicated mine was manufactured in September 1992. Is the alphabetic serial number prefix a date code? Thanks for the info!

Posts: 3508 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
Nice score on a nice S&W. Pickle Rick.

Posts: 2878 | Location: Lancaster, PA. | Registered: February 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
No, the serial prefix SOMETIMES can give you an idea of the time frame the gun was made, but the Julian date code on the box is difinitive.

Or, a call to customer service as you did. Congrats! Very nice 4506-1. I look forward to your range report. Regards 18DAI

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Yep revision 1. There are certain Thread topics that when you see certain posters pop up, you have to stop and read cause you know it’s gonna be good.

18DAI and Third Gen Smiths is just that kind of topic.

Bonus points if you can tell me what the first revision on the 1076 means work wise. And how was it marked?

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37118 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
Thank you sir for the kind words! Thats why I always stop and read your posts. Wink

Was the revision 1 on the 1076 for the decocker mods? I believe the mark for it is two dimples stamped below the head of the decocker lever.

While I have you "on the line" Mr Jones, any word from Apex on new 3rd gen spare parts? Smile Regards 18DAI

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 18DAI:
Thank you sir for the kind words! Thats why I always stop and read your posts. Wink

Was the revision 1 on the 1076 for the decocker mods? I believe the mark for it is two dimples stamped below the head of the decocker lever.

While I have you "on the line" Mr Jones, any word from Apex on new 3rd gen spare parts? Smile Regards 18DAI

That’s the one.

It’s supposedly still in the works. The CZ project as I understand it is about complete.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37118 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Apex is possibly going to make 3rd gen parts?

In the sense that one would be able to keep a 3rd gen trade in pistol running for a while if something broke?

Another question. Can a 3rd gen be converted to decock only? I know they made some like this, but I am talking about one that has the safety function.

Posts: 525 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
Thank you Mr Jones! Much appreciated! Smile I have been shooting my 4506-1 a lot lately. In a few more years, something may wear out or break.

TheNewbie - yes, SOME 3rd gen pistols can be converted to decock only BUT it takes the decock only parts and a different sear....IIRC.

Plus, the slide must be already machined to accept the decock only assembly and spring.

And once you check all the boxes and jump through those hoops - you have to check the timing of the decock only assembly so that it is safe to use. There is a specific way to do it.

If you are still interested, there is a guy over on the Smith forum - BMCM - he is very talented. You might contact him and see if he can do the work for you. Good luck! hope this helps! Wink Regards 18DAI