SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Light on bedside gun?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Light on bedside gun? Login/Join 
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
the hiding in your bedroom.. depends on what state you are in.... it ain't S.C. for sure.

The key here I firmly believe if one is going to use a light on their gun is TRAINING. My fear is too many folks would use that light to scan a suspected area.... then be pointing at someone and make a second mistake... finger on the trigger and a really bad thing can happen. I know for a fact when one's adrenaline is up their perfection can be very skewed.....I've actually been surprised by a person in the darkness and seen then 'morph' from a bad guy to someone I know and I was not on drugs or alcohol. ..

I do have a light on my bed side handgun... it is a laser.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Couple reasons I wouldn't have a wml, first I have the home team advantage I know the layout of my house. Second waking to the sound of an intrusion in the dark and activating a bright white wml is too drastic for eyes to adjust. I have a small handheld led flashlight with a red filter that throws just enough light to see what is necessary without getting blinded by my own light. Also have on nightstand shelf an old 3 D cell Maglite with standard bulb, dual purpose light and club.

Posts: 186 | Registered: December 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
I have one mounted on my riot shotty, a clean and simple setup. Very clean. Very simple. Very efficient. And not expensive. If I were to upgrade I'd get an auto riot shotty, for zero chance of short stroking, since I can't practice stroking a pump under stress. Possible to short stroke under stress, at least for me. But any shotgun without a bunch of crap hung all over it is clean, simple, and efficient.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8655 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My only weapon mounted light is on a .410 shotgun I use to dispatch raccoons and opossum that raid my bird feeders at night. They don't shoot back when I spotlight myself. For defense, I keep a powerful flashlight, a P220 and two German Shepherds sleeping in the house. I was on patrol when Streamlight revolutionized police flashlights in the late 70's. Today's handheld lighting options are outstanding!

Posts: 265 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The whole point of having a WML is to allow you to have both hands on the gun. If something had alerted you and you are clearing your house, you need both hands on the gun. Seconds matter.

Posts: 14 | Registered: November 05, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
We have no children, old enough that even if we did they’d be out of the house.
So it’s just my wife & I .
If I hear a bump in the night I reach over, if she’s in bed then anyone in our home becomes a threat / target & I have zero issues pointing a loaded pistol/ firearm with a light at it.
Others situation may be different but firearms with a WML is perfect for us.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by techguy:
Do you mount a light on your bedside weapon? Is this a good idea or is it better to carry one in the support hand?

Yes, both pistol and rifle have a WML.

PID is an absolute must in a home with more than 1 person.

Posts: 874 | Location: NE Pennsylvania | Registered: December 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WML and a German Shepherd.

Posts: 130 | Location: GA | Registered: April 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ranger3:
The whole point of having a WML is to allow you to have both hands on the gun. If something had alerted you and you are clearing your house, you need both hands on the gun. Seconds matter.

The whole point? No. It's to give you options because things might not work out the way you think they will.

While both hands are great for maintaining control while shooting, i dont think you'll have both hands glued to your gun at all times unless maybe youre held up and guarding a doorway or hallway, probably not even then. What if you have a hand out of commission? Better learn to shoot one handed and with your weak hand. I had a major sholder surgery a few years ago and my dominant arm was almost useless for a year.

A WML allows you to have a hand free while keeping a gun and light on an individual while the other hand makes a phone call or free to open doors while clearing.
Its good to have options to adapt to the situation.

Posts: 2753 | Registered: March 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Living alone has some awesome advantages. One of which being that if I hear a bump in the night I can be certain anything in the house deserves to be lit up with my WML.
I have one on my CZ P-09 that lives on my night stand and another on my AR propped against my dresser.
I'd wager that if you switched on a modern high intensity WML even with your pistol at low ready the whole room would be illuminated enough to see who's who. Especially having just woken up and being used to the dark.

Posts: 10848 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post