SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    AIWB - the tragic hidden cost...my shirts!!!???
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AIWB - the tragic hidden cost...my shirts!!!??? Login/Join 
Picture of bcjwriter
posted
OK, so I've completely switched over to AIWB for everything but my larger revolvers. Today I realized my umpteenth shirt had all these little holes worn into it from the gun. (I think it's from the sights, but I'm not certain.)

Is anyone else having a similar issue?

Posts: 1965 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcjwriter:
OK, so I've completely switched over to AIWB for everything but my larger revolvers. Today I realized my umpteenth shirt had all these little holes worn into it from the gun. (I think it's from the sights, but I'm not certain.)

Although I won't carry appendix style, just carrying IWB has done the same to a lot of my shirts also.
These shirts quickly turn into work shirts or something to wear when I know I'm going to get dirty.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of photohause
posted Hide Post
I carry shoulder (225)or model 60 IWB. I live in FLA so baggy shirts work year round. J frame is so small shirt is not an issue.

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

Posts: 1631 | Location:  | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Not AIWB, but 4:00 IWB.

The belt clips wear small holes in my shirts & the grip texture on the P320 pills the inside where it rubs/snags.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15328 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Once you've been carrying long enough, all cover garments will develop wear from the gun, no matter the manner of carry. But some guns/sights/holsters will wear your clothing faster than others.

It's just the cost of doing business.

Guns and magazines worn on the side/back of the waist will eventually start wearing on your car upholstery too.

Posts: 32512 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the rough texture on the grips of my S&W Shield 2.0 is playing hell with my cover t-shirts. Even the heavy duty ones (Duluth long tails). I wear it about 3:00 IWB.

Posts: 7268 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
For us in So Cal, where formal wear is a “nice” T-Shirt I’ve ruined a few. Back in the day CCW was an under t-shirt with an untucked button up to cover your gun (for those days you didn’t want to ankle carry a J Frame.). With these smaller 9’s, and better kydex holsters AIWB is so much easier - even for those of us with a little “tactical girth”.

Posts: 1965 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I carry IWB at 4:30 and my t-shirts all end up with a bunch of small holes in that area. I buy around 6 or so new t-shirts every year to replace the ones with holes.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
Part of the issue too is the thin build of most T-shirt’s anymore. I don’t AIWB carry but still end up with the holes in the front of my shirts as the pants/shorts button underneath rubs along counter tops and such. My wife who only carries in her purse has the same problem. The lightweight shirts are more prone to it, but even some of my heavier stuff will eventually exhibit it. Carrying at 3-3:30 does the same, but it usually takes much longer for the holes to develop, at least in my experience.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcjwriter:

Yes, absolutely, especially if sights have sharp edges and especially training shirts that get pulled up vigorously and repetitively during the draw. One of the reasons I don't like tall sights.

Posts: 481 | Registered: April 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Its cottonworms.

[j]Add a couple tablespoons of permethrin to the laundry load. [/j]

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 98XJRC
posted Hide Post
Short and simple answer is yes. I’ve had shirts I’ve only worn a few times end up with a hole where the rear sore pokes through while AWIB. Even with that small inconvenience it’s still the most concealable method for me and honestly comfortable at this point.

I did have shirts get holes in them from the site though no matter what position I carried in.

Posts: 782 | Location: PA  | Registered: December 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Styles change. Men wear T shirts and Underwear until the have the consistency of gauze. Think of it as a reason to produce spare shop rags and, get classy new shirts.

Posts: 882 | Location: High desert. Nevada | Registered: April 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Ive noticed that no matter what sights you have, it can and will still happen.

I accidentally bumped into the edge of the car door somewhat hard, and heard the distinct "thonk" sound as it hit, then held my shirt out and noticed a new hole right where the shirt draped over the rear corner of the slide.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Raven makes a holster called the Morrigan. It has a body shield on both sides of the holster which prevents the sights from damaging the users outer garment. I carry my 30S in one and no more damaged shirts.

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wish all I destroyed was T-Shirts. While working, I destroyed suit jackets, coat linings and dress shirts. Was getting real expensive until I learned you can have a tailor sew in extra reinforcement in wear areas in suit jackets and jackets/coats and not alter the "hang" of the material by much. The shirts were always sacrificial however.

Tony

Posts: 314 | Registered: December 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
IWB with untucked button down shirt no problem. Would carry OWB but holster would often peek out unless bought oversized shirts.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't like sweat guards on my AIWB holsters. Therefore my issue is that my undershirts tend to get stained with oil/carbon residue that will eventually work its way out of the slide/frame rails, regardless of how clean or how sparingly lubed the pistol is.

Posts: 820 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Friend of mine who used to wear suits or sport coats regularly had a tailor put a thin leather patch over the area that would wear. First few times he took a suit in for attention tailor simply said “gun rub right?”

Posts: 3292 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
When I was still working, all my sport coats had shredded linings held together with iron-on patches from a P226 on my hip

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post