SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    A question from r .38 super shooters.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A question from r .38 super shooters. Login/Join 
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nojoy:
quote:
Originally posted by dc54:
Would a 38 Super slide fit on a 227? Magazines would be an issue too. Sounds very intriguing though!

Sorry to dig up an old thread Razz
I have tried my older 38 Super 220 slide on a 227 frame. Works just fine. I do not know if 38 Super would load or feed properly from the stock 227 magazine though. I think the follower might be too big. But if I could load up a 227 magazine with 38 Super without issue (15 rounds),the next step would be to shoot it with the "220 38 Super" upper. Man that would be sweet if it worked without a glitch.
Smile

I'd love to hear what you find if you do.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know which locking insert one would use? I always assumed the easy path would be a fitted aftermarket barrel (if BarSto could be talked into making it), a modified modern slide and maybe a different extractor.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any round that actually has it's own term, "Super Face" is just awesome.

Posts: 4658 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DNS:
Reload it like the original load,130gr. @ 1300fps. Almost the same as the 357 SIG.

I am a big fan of the Super 38, but think it is an urban legend that it was ever factory loaded that fast. I have researched old catalogs and actually tested ammo from the 30's, 40's, and 50's (including some GI), and nothing yet has gotten close to 1300.

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1859 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^^ Cool The twin sciences of powder making and bullet making keep marching on.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Watson:
Pictures, we need pictures of a $4000 Commander.

I sold a first year production, (3 digit) Colt Commercial for $6K ($6000) just a few months ago,

all original, some wear,

I could see a Lightweight Commander or Commander in the same caliber (early made gun, not a series 70) go for similar money,

BTW
since the gun laws in Mexico and some other companies will not allow a person to own a gun in the same caliber that the military/police use (law may have changed) 38 super is very popular with Hispanics, and some Europeans,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10422 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
FWIW, they changed the laws in Mexico. It's now a maximum of .380 ACP for semiautos, and .38 Special for revolvers.

Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nojoy:
quote:
Originally posted by dc54:
Would a 38 Super slide fit on a 227? Magazines would be an issue too. Sounds very intriguing though!

Sorry to dig up an old thread Razz
I have tried my older 38 Super 220 slide on a 227 frame. Works just fine. I do not know if 38 Super would load or feed properly from the stock 227 magazine though. I think the follower might be too big. But if I could load up a 227 magazine with 38 Super without issue (15 rounds),the next step would be to shoot it with the "220 38 Super" upper. Man that would be sweet if it worked without a glitch.
Smile
Just tried loading some .38 Super rounds in a P227 Magazine with negative results. The top lips on the mag are too far apart to retain the round, it just pops out the top when you try and load it.

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1312 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dc54
posted Hide Post
Tooky13, Thanks for giving it a try. Nice to not have a reason to pick up a 227!

Sigs, HKs, 1911s, Berettas, Glocks and SW revolvers

Posts: 1034 | Location: GA | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Yeah, yeah, yeah, wait until we figure out the mag problem. Razz Fricker-frackin' EAA magazines bein' a degree or two off rumblemuttercuss...

posted Hide Post
The only 1911 I regret selling was a Mil Spec 38 Super. Crazy accurate with the stock sights. Should have kept it and picked up a 9mm barrel to make shooting cheap. The price of factory 38 Super is crazy these days. Reloading for it was easy if you had good dies. Redding was my choice.

Posts: 4658 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the mid 50's my dad wanted to buy a 1911 type pistol. He wandered in to a hardware store in Peoria, IL and bought a prewar 38 Super with "BPD 13" engraved on the front strap. Turns out it was one of 33 sent to the Burlington, VT PD in the 30's.
Started my enthusiasm for the 38 Super round.

I love it because it's fast and loud and fun to shoot. I think the easiest way to a hi cap 38 Super is a EAA Witness. I have a Witness Match that is a dream to shoot, accurate and heavy so felt recoil is mild. I just came across a Para P18 38 super I haven't had a chance to shoot yet.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Posts: 209 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: July 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^^ Have you had to resort to EAA's customer service yet? Internutz scuttlebutt is that it's particularly not good.