SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P320 M18 stovepipe
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P320 M18 stovepipe Login/Join 
posted
Hello, I am new to the forum. I own two P365s, a P226 I bought in Germany, and now a P320 M18. I shot the gun for the first time today. I shot 100 rounds of a brand ammo with no issues. In between I used the ammo the gun store/range had due to shortage of ammo. I am very sure it was reloads. The range ammo would either stovepipe or the casings would come back and hit me. I am very sure the range was skimping on the powder, but I have the doubt in my head. This will be one of my home defense/carry pistols. Anyone else had this issue with the M18? Also, what would you recommend for defense ammo for this particular firearm. Thank you!!

Posts: 2 | Location: Texas | Registered: August 01, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
If the gun ran fine with factory ammo, and choked on the cheap reloads, I'd be inclined to conclude that the problem is the with the ammo, not the gun. Go buy another box of factory ammo to put through it and see what happens. I'd be willing to bet it will run fine.

Posts: 8567 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
What you described, the failure to eject and poor ejection that results in being hit by the cases, are classic symptoms of low-powered ammunition. Range reloads are often underpowered to save money. In addition, sometimes new guns are more susceptible to problems with wimpy ammunition until they have been broken in a bit.

If the pistol functions properly with factory ammunition, especially more powerful loads, I wouldn’t be concerned about your experience.

Welcome to the forum, BTW.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your replies. I figured as much, but I never had an issue with any of my Sigs before. Plus..the need of an ease of mind knowing the gun was purchased to save my backside..lol. Thank you for your welcomes. Does the pistol run better with +P ammo? The spring is made for NATO rounds...

Posts: 2 | Location: Texas | Registered: August 01, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DomenicoMyers:
Does the pistol run better with +P ammo?

“Better” is a somewhat subjective term. For me, nothing can be better than fires and functions properly every time.

I own several P320s myself and it’s the pistol my agency issues as a duty handgun.
I haven’t experienced or seen any actual malfunctions with any factory ammunition, from somewhat low powered 115 grain training stuff to the hottest 124 grain Gold Dot +P load that my agency issues as duty ammunition. In between are things like Winchester’s 124 grain NATO (Q4318) and the M1152 115 grain load that is touted as the same stuff that’s issued for US military use.

Some loads eject their cases straight back at the shooter which is, to reiterate, characteristic of low power. It has happened to me, but I don’t recall any details because it’s not something I pay any attention to: I wear a billed cap and ignore it. The only time it’s been something I’ve had to worry about was when it happens to a trainee and they complain about it. I’d prefer it didn’t happen for that reason, but I purchase and we use what ammunition is available, and am happy to have it.

Better ejection usually occurs with ammunition that generates greater projectile momentum and therefore higher slide velocity. I haven’t conducted many velocity measurements with P320 pistols, but in general the less expensive 115 grain loads that many of us use for training have lower velocities and that coupled with the lighter weight bullets produce the lowest slide velocities. Going to 124 grains often helps, as does anything that produces higher velocities. That is frequently true of +P loads, but not always. I have chronographed at least one +P load that wasn’t any hotter than typical normal pressure stuff. And as a final note and based on what I’ve seen, commercial “remanufactured” ammunition is usually loaded to the lowest power levels.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Most modern pistols are designed around defensive / NATO spec / +P ammo. In many cases out of the box they may have some issues feeding the powder puff stuff especially light weight powder puff stuff like cheap 115 grain.

Typically if you run them with a box or three of hotter and or heavier ammo they will loosen up and start running darn near anything.

I cannot speak directly to the 320 platform but I suspect as you run it more you will find it will reliably run even the cheap range ammo. Manually cycling the slide and dry firing as well as keep the slide locked back for a day or so can help as well.

Make sure the new gun is stripped, cleaned and well lubed as well.

Like I said, my guess is you will see it run damn near anything in no time barring really suspect / lightly loaded ammo.

Chris

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I back the people calling out the ammo. There is *ALOT* of soft loaded ammo on the market these days. Between game shooters and people making smooth edit youtube highlight reels to talk about “how flat” they can shoot, ive picked up some 9mm that clocked sub 800fps.

Its ridiculous, and why you see some people calling for 12-13lb recoil springs in glocks.

Just run factory loaded ammo and youll be grg.

Posts: 99 | Location: Virginia | Registered: August 03, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jerod
posted Hide Post
Unknown spec reloads..... nuff said . Not your pistols fault.

Sig 551
W. German P228
W. German P226
Spec. Conf.P220
Navy MK 25
Non rail P229

Posts: 168 | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post