SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Warantee return experience?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Warantee return experience? Login/Join 
posted
My relatively new Legion 226 (500 +/- rounds fired ) is in need of a warranty repair for a failed decocking lever and trigger issue.

When I contacted Sig, I was told that I had to send it back through a FFL rather than simply shipping it back myself as I had done previously with other pistols.

My FFL wants to charge me shipping AND a transfer fee to send it back.

Apparently this is now SIG policy and has nothing to do with NJ State or federal regulations. My FFL actually said "I don't know why they're doing this".

So much for the Legion "Brotherhood". Has anyone else had this experience?

Thanks

Posts: 3 | Registered: November 22, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m in NY and SIG sent me a RMA and I shipped it back to them. You can do that without a FFL since you are the owner. There are some restrictions like it has to be identified as a firearm (which is stupid since it helps identify the box to steal).

Recently they seem to only want to deal with a FFL. I used the shop I purchased it at to take care of the entire process and it worked well with no charges for the transfer.

When they send it back SIG will want to send it to a FFL as well. It is not required in NY, but it is a good idea. I had a Kimber pistol left at my neighbors front door with no signature and a Giant orange “Firearm” sticker on it

Posts: 15 | Registered: November 17, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
Never heard of that, and tell them you want a call tag. Why should you pay shipping to fix a defective gun?

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are a lot of good guns on the market today. Sounds like I may change my policy too, and not buy Sigs in the future, if a simple warranty fix requires a substantial investment in fees.

Posts: 38 | Location: South-Central Pennsylvania | Registered: May 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NYTrooper:
My relatively new Legion 226 (500 +/- rounds fired ) is in need of a warranty repair for a failed decocking lever and trigger issue.

When I contacted Sig, I was told that I had to send it back through a FFL rather than simply shipping it back myself as I had done previously with other pistols.

Apparently this is now SIG policy and has nothing to do with NJ State or federal regulations.

Did you request to talk to the CS Super to make sure that is in fact their "new policy"? Because, many times, some clueless low level CSRs simply pull shit out of thin air.

If that is truly their new policy, they're about to lose a lot of customers, imo. So, you now have to ship your SIG in, through your FFL, for their tune-up service? Total BS.

Q

Posts: 26322 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:

So much for the Legion "Brotherhood". Has anyone else had this experience?

Thanks

While I hope this information is wrong and a CSR was just confused, buying a Legion doesn't put you in the Delta Miles Club, you won't get any special treatment, it's marketing.

You're not gonna all of a sudden start doing a subtle wave to every other Legion owner in passing as if you bought a motorcycle.

A firearm is a firearm, no matter what fancy make up they put on it. Hope the let you send it straight in, or at least pay for it the shipping, but you're still out dealer fees likely. Unless it's the dealer you bought it from, then they should eat the fees.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6300 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Welcome to SIGforum.

I have only had one that had to go back to SIG.

My experience was exceptional. Granted, my experience was in the early 2000's.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
The last gun I shipped to Sig got shipped straight there, then straight back to my house. That was 3-4 years ago. But I also live in a state without draconian gun laws, so that might be a factor.

I sent a gun to Ruger a couple of months back and they scheduled a pickup for Fedex at my front door, but the replacement gun had to go through an FFL because it was a new gun to replace the defective one. The dealer (from whom I'd bought the original, defective gun) charged me a transfer fee for the warranty replacement, which I thought was kinda crappy (not blaming Ruger...that was on the dealer).

Posts: 8528 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
One I've shipped (1911-22, cycling issues) and one I hand delivered (P320RX sight issues).

Neither one was an issue, the one I sent went FedEx there and back, no FFL either way.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
Sig sucks if they don't issue labels and cover shipping both ways for warranty work.

Posts: 18028 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think what we have here is a failure to communicate.

I'd call Sig back.

Posts: 7016 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've always received return shipping labels from SIG, with scheduled FedEx pickup from my house.

My experience with SIG service is that if you don't like what a rep tells you, call back and talk to a different rep.

Posts: 841 | Registered: December 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by toivo:
I've always received return shipping labels from SIG, with scheduled FedEx pickup from my house.

My experience with SIG service is that if you don't like what a rep tells you, call back and talk to a different rep.

They leave history notes about your calls/emails, so don't try to pretend that you didn't call before about the same issue.

Posts: 3183 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A guy I know called Sig earlier today about the dead trigger on his 365. They immediately sent him a shipping label and he sent it off to them before the end of the day.

Posts: 597 | Registered: October 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think a lot of the base response from SIG is dependent on your State. NY has some screwy laws and SIG does not want to get into an issue.

When I was at SIG academy last summer this topic came up. We all had different experiences and it seemed NY and Massachusetts customers had the most issues.

In NY It is not illegal for the owner to ship a firearm, but if I were a customer service representative I would be scared of all our crazy laws as well. Everything worked well when I went back to my Dealer whose is a SIG dealer and they took care of it without any cost to me.

I would try the dealer I purchased it from….. If that doesn’t work I would go to my future firearm supplier

Posts: 15 | Registered: November 17, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Good to hear about such experiences, but I agree that some customer service reps are clueless about many things and a call back would be appropriate.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47394 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies.

I called Sig back and spoke to a supervisor. The issue is the fact that I live in NJ. Only NJ residents are required to go thru an FFL although previously CA and CT were also included. If I'd been able to ship the pistol from any other State and had it returned there, no FFL required.

It's not an issue of State regs, just some wonky policy that Sig's legal department came up with. Crazy!

Posts: 3 | Registered: November 22, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:

I sent a gun to Ruger a couple of months back and they scheduled a pickup for Fedex at my front door, but the replacement gun had to go through an FFL because it was a new gun to replace the defective one. The dealer (from whom I'd bought the original, defective gun) charged me a transfer fee for the warranty replacement, which I thought was kinda crappy (not blaming Ruger...that was on the dealer).
I had a very similar situation about a year ago. Bought a new Ruger GP100, it fired two rounds and then locked up. Ruger sent me a pre-paid shipping label to return it directly. They did not repair it, they replaced it with a new revolver and shipped it to my FFL.

That is where my experience differed from yours. Ruger customer service told me to pay the FFL transfer fee and send them a copy of the receipt. They promptly issued a check to reimburse me for that cost. I did not ask them to cover the incoming FFL fee, they volunteered to do that.

You might want to check with Ruger's customer service again, check with a manager. I'll bet that they will reimburse you for the FFL fees.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30639 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks for all the replies.

I called Sig back and spoke to a supervisor. The issue is the fact that I live in NJ. Only NJ residents are required to go thru an FFL although previously CA and CT were also included. If I'd been able to ship the pistol from any other State and had it returned there, no FFL required.

It's not an issue of State regs, just some wonky policy that Sig's legal department came up with. Crazy!

Would be nice to know the reasoning they came up with such a policy for NJ only? Ridiculous!

Q

Posts: 26322 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's as ridiculous as the "adult signature required" rule for ammo shipping that they cannot waive, and cannot allow anyone else to sign for, and cannot direct the carrier to hold at the depot. They have to let the carrier try to deliver 3 times (because normal people go to work and can't stay home all day to wait for a package) and then hold it at the depot for non-delivery.

No other company is this difficult regarding ammo.

Posts: 4700 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post