SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    1911's in 9mm
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1911's in 9mm Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I love me a 9mm 1911 (or 5)!

Everybody knows that the dice are loaded

Posts: 368 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My stainless CQB Compact, with a new trigger and new grips, and the newest member of the 9mm 1911 family, Wilson EDC X9 after a range trip Sunday.
Pretty close to a 1911.

Everybody knows that the dice are loaded

Posts: 368 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TexasRaider:
Years ago Colt made their Combat Commander series 70 in 9mm (pic is from the 'Net, not mine). I'd love to have one just like it, my Pop has one identical but in .45 ACP.

I always thought the Commander was more suited to the 9mm as it's more shootable. My Dad's in .45 (with warm to hot ammo) bucks and jumps like a ticked off wild mustang trying to be saddled. It's just a bit much....

I thought the combat commander was to 9mm as well, till I bought one. A 70BS 9mm combat commander blued. I hated it, the shorter commander grip safety digs right into the webbing of my hand, and the slight muzzle flip I didn't like about it so I sold it. Replaced it with a series 70 government and the government is a great pattern to shoot 9mm out of it.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you handled and compared the Browning Highpower to the compact or Commander size 1911?

The 9mm Highpower is a great size and smooth shooter. Also designed by John Browning, I consider it a refined 1911.

Mine was built by FN and has a very nice stock trigger.

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nero
posted Hide Post
I've only owned one: a Kimber Stainless Target II 9mm, and it was a costly jammamatic/paperweight. It was enough to cured me of 1911s in 9mm fever...Though there are times that I still dream of a 1911 Colt high-gloss nickel in .38 Super.

nero

Posts: 4639 | Location: Tampa Bay Area | Registered: August 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, I know several guys like that... They get the 1911 bug, buy a Kimber, it has problems, and it turns them off to 1911s altogether.

Frown

Posts: 32487 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I just ran 150 rds of some consider 'junk' WINCHESTER White Box 115gr and BLAZER Brass 115gr through my KIMBER Ultra 9mm...a 3" at that.

Not a single malfunction that day and none in the previous multiple range sessions (@ 800 rds). I must be doing something wrong since it hasn't failed. My only complaint...not enough magazines to shoot it more.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Being this is the Sigforum I am surprised no one
mentioned the 1911UT-9 Ultra Compact.

Posts: 80 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: May 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dan Wesson ECO 9mm was my toe dip into 1911 platform. I am hooked. Considering selling my Sigs to buy another 1911.

Posts: 2033 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
I really love my Dan Wesson Valor in 9mm. It's a super sweet shooter.

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1307 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Colt competition series in 9mm is worth a look. Less than $900 with fit an finish like the old times. I own the competition series in all 3 cal, 9mm 38 super and 45acp. All shoot with no fte or ftf ever.

Posts: 7 | Registered: January 05, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
I have both ends of the scale. Rock Island 5” that shoots much better than I would have expected (under $400 used). The other end of the scale, two Wilson Combats (EDC X9, and Commander sized Ultra Lite Carry).

You can’t go wrong with the Dan Wesson’s. Mine are either .45acp or 10mm.

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I'm very happy with a SPRINGFIELD EMP4 LW CHAMPION in 9mm I recently acquired.

Reading some internet reviews initially concerned me. One range trip of 300rds w/o issue and I realized it was just typical internet whining.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by paceac:
So what are people's thoughts on Ed Brown vs Wilson Combat?

I have a Brown in 45 and a Wilson in 9mm. Both are excellent pistols -- great feel, flawless workmanship, great trigger, excellent accuracy. You can't go wrong with either one.

At this level of firearm, your decision is likely based around color, finish, and grips. Which ever model suits your desired look and feel will be the one that works best for you.

Posts: 7866 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back in Black
posted Hide Post
I just let this one go. I already miss it.

Posts: 1147 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post