SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    PMR-30 is a hoot!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PMR-30 is a hoot! Login/Join 
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted
I had always wanted an AMT Automag II for years and years and never got around to buying one. Then the PMR-30 was announced and released reigniting my interest in a .22 magnum autoloader. With the craziness and relatively low volume production vs. demand, I was not interested in paying way over MSRP for one and did want to see if it initially had teething issues (which evidently it did) so time went on and my interest came and went on and off. Finally a few months ago I came across what I felt was a reasonably priced new Navy Blue frame model and bought it.

For one reason or another I had not taken it to the range yet as others took precedence, but finally got around to trying it out last week. I have to say that it was truly worth the wait! It is absolutely one of the most fun guns to shoot I have ever shot. I'm actually quite impressed with the quality and performance of it so far too. I had two failures to feed (both rounds hung up half way into the chamber) in the first magazine, one in the second full magazine, and one in the third. The last four full magazines had no malfunctions at all so it seems it just needed some break in. The fiber optic sights are nice and mine were dead on all the way to 25 yards where it was incredibly easy to keep all my shots on a 3" Shoot-N-C target. The trigger breaks right aound 3 1/4 lbs. which makes it easy to get good hits, even at a faster shooting pace. Did I mention the muzzle blast is quite amusing and gets the attention of those around you? (especially with the Hornady 30gr V-MAX cartridges) It's not obnoxious or distracting while shooting as there is very minimal recoil, but you do get a nice boom and flash. It shot very well with the Hornady, some Winchester 40gr FMJ, and even the Speer Short Barrel 40gr Gold Dot. The flash was much less noticeable with the Gold Dots though as they are designed for shorter barrels.

All in all a nice, unique, enjoyable pistol that I can recommend if you find one at a good price. Cool

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well lets see the video.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
I'm going to have to record it next time at the range. The flash with the Hornady rounds is pretty impressive. Big Grin

-Dtech

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks look forward to it.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
In the years since its introduction, I have only seen one PMR-30, a black one, at a local gunshop.
And this one wasn't for sale, it was being rarfled in a charity.

I had thought I wanted one, until I gripped it, the front to back of the grip just didn't fit my hand, too large, the rest of the pistol looked like a good build.

Please enjoy yours, and shoot a clip just for Sunset.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, they seem like a fun range toy. Just don't get confused and start carrying it as a defensive pistol.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The pmr 30 is my most fun gun to shoot. I get a Goofy grin on my face after rapid firing 30 rounds every time. It is also my least reliable gun. You have to load the magazine in a very particular way. But even that doesn't guarantee a 30 rounds in succession. It did work good for the first year or so. They have good customer service and told me to send it in at no costfor repair )other than shipping) but I haven't gotten around to it.

Posts: 54 | Location: Myrtle beac SC | Registered: March 31, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
I agree that the elongated wedge-shaped nature of the grip to accommodate the .22 magnum rounds and magazine does feel a little odd when you first pick one up, but you really don't notice it that much when actually shooting it, especially with a two handed grip, even with smaller hands.

As for using it as a defensive weapon, I could think of a lot of other guns that would be much less useful and much worse to depend on for one reason or another than a PMR-30, but I have no plans to use it as a carry gun. I sure wouldn't feel unarmed if I was to carry one though, especially with 31 rounds on tap. Besides, it's illegal to carry a flamethrower in the State of Florida. Wink

-Dtech

The Once and Future SIG Shooter
Picture of Mike S
posted Hide Post
Glad you like your PMR-30. I like mine, too. My situation was similar to yours. I was not about to pay nearly double the MSRP for that gun, which was about all I could ever find it for in my area. Finally in the last year or so, retails started coming down, and I was able to find an all black one at a gunshow for what I considered to be a reasonable price. I snagged it. What a fun pistol!

My wife's sister is very recoil sensitive, and she loved the PMR-30. I think it made the list of guns she's considering for carry. 30+1 rds of .22 mag would definitely hurt somebody's feelings.

Posts: 4524 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: December 08, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Used to have the Grendel P-30, which is the forefather of the PMR-30. Loved shooting the .22 magnum. Such a fun gun.

Internet pic:

Q

Posts: 26412 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post