Find
Notify
Tools

New Colt Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
Well in a moment of weakness I gave into temptation, Colt Gold Cup Trophy in .45 ACP. Growing up in the 70's and 80's the Gold Cups had this mystique about them being the end all be all of 1911's. So this kind of is a grail gun for me.

It's also a kind of replacement. I had a blued Smith & Wesson 1911 with Bomar sights on it that I sold on consignment back in the days of unemployment. I always regretted selling that gun and have want another 1911 with adjustable sights ever since.

Hoping it shoots half as good as it looks...

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's a nice one. Give us a range report when you can. I'm not much on blue grips but they go with that Colt. Do you have a holster for it yet.

Posts: 1570 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Congrats and enjoy! I’ve been eyeballing one of those for a while now, and it’s not likely to happen. Do give us a range report when you get a chance. Smile

Posts: 17125 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
Curious as to what you think of the metal work. There was someone else, thought on this forum, that was complaining about it from Shot Show. That's the exact 1911 I've been looking at minus a different front sight.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3627 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Fitting is great and the finish is consistent. I'm not a fan of Colt's standard stainless finish. The matte portions are a rough texture and the polished flats are not done to a high level of polish at all. The finish is consistent, I just prefer the stainless finish on my Dan Wesson 1911's. It's not that it is a bad job of finishing, I'd just prefer a bit more polish to it.

That said, I got the gun for shooting and the Gold Cup seems to be about the right level of quality vs. cost for me.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blue Dog:
Do you have a holster for it yet.

I've got plenty of holsters for 1911's. This one will probably spend most of its time inside my Galco Gunsite holster. It's mostly going to be a range toy and IDPA gun if/when I get back involved with that.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
quote:
Do you have a holster for it yet.

I've got plenty of holsters for 1911's. This one will probably spend most of its time inside my Galco Gunsite holster. It's mostly going to be a range toy and IDPA gun if/when I get back involved with that.

Today is your lucky day. Check your email in a few.

Posts: 1570 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
Very nice! I just got my wife the non GC version. Great pistols.

Posts: 823 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Nice! I just picked up a Colt SAA grail gun a month back. It’s always fun adding to the stable!

Posts: 4611 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Today is your lucky day. Check your email in a few.

Blue Dog, got the e-mail. Thank you for the generous gift. Proof once again why SigForum is the best gun forum on the web.

posted Hide Post
It's a very good looking gun with the Blue VZ grips. I bought a s/s Colt Competition in 9mm 1-2 years ago and the barrel/bushing fit and the slide to frame fit is extremely tight and it's a great shooter.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
Congrats! She’s a beaut!

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1681 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice, congrats!

Recently purchased a Colt 1911 in part of a group by. Built in Jan 2019. There were ~46 pistols in the buy, and a good 1/3 of them (so far) have had issues with extracting, ejecting, going into battery.

Mine's back at Colt now getting fixed (hopefully).

They were not Gold Cups, just their basic 1911.

Here's hoping it was just a fluke in our batch, and yours runs perfect!

Posts: 760 | Location: Athol, ID | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on the new addition

I have been a BIG fan of the Gold Cups since I bought one back in 1977

quote:
Fitting is great and the finish is consistent. I'm not a fan of Colt's standard stainless finish. The matte portions are a rough texture and the polished flats are not done to a high level of polish at all. The finish is consistent, I just prefer the stainless finish on my Dan Wesson 1911's. It's not that it is a bad job of finishing, I'd just prefer a bit more polish to it.

That said, I got the gun for shooting and the Gold Cup seems to be about the right level of quality vs. cost for me.
Colt offers, or at least used to offer. a finish usually called Ultimate Stainless (sometimes Bright Stainless). This finish has the flat surfaces polished mirror bright. I am not sure of the differences on the rounds.

I have a Bright Stainless Officers ACP at the house, I need to pull it out for photographs anyway

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
That is one good looking pistol....!

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2088 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
I really like those colts nice job !

0:01

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Son of a son
of a Sailor
Picture of wxdave
posted Hide Post
My first gun was a Gold Cup in bright stainless. My dad bought it for me as a high school graduation present. It will be the last gun I ever part with. The trigger is spectacular.

--------------------------------------------
Floridian by birth, Seminole by the grace of God

Posts: 986 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by colt_saa:
Congratulations on the new addition

I have been a BIG fan of the Gold Cups since I bought one back in 1977

quote:

Colt offers, or at least used to offer. a finish usually called Ultimate Stainless (sometimes Bright Stainless). This finish has the flat surfaces polished mirror bright. I am not sure of the differences on the rounds.

I have a Bright Stainless Officers ACP at the house, I need to pull it out for photographs anyway

They still offer the bright stainless but only in a .38 super government.

OP- there should be a small tube in the plastic box that has a green and a blue vile for the front site if you prefer a different color than the red it has.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jimmy123x,

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I had a couple of 70 series GC's in the 70's and loved them. Ended up selling them when I needed cash. Frown

I never thought I'd ever say this, but those blue grips look great. I always liked the walnut and cherry wood grips. I'm looking forward to getting your range report on it.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post