SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Any Hk Sp5 owners here? What are your thoughts on it
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any Hk Sp5 owners here? What are your thoughts on it Login/Join 
posted
Looking at purchasing one. What are your thoughts? I’ve got an MPX already, which I understand isn’t the same, but how would you compare the 2?

I’m thinking if I get it I need to put collapsible brace on it.

Posts: 1305 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Its hard to know where to start on this question. For openers if you can find one to buy anywhere near MSRP, buy it. As for things that matter after the fact that its a relatively rare HK, what do you want to use the SP5 for? For openers its semi MP5. Sig's MPX design objective was literally to replace that with a modern design. The best part of an SP5 is its a semi MP5. The worst part is that its a semi MP5.
Things that I think matter, the roller locked operating system makes it very soft shooting and its easy to maintain. Its ungodly durable. Mags are expensive even compared to MPX mags (though clones exist with varying levels of good many way cheaper than MPX mags). It doesn't have a rail so you have to add one to get an optic (many choices) and cowitness is pretty hard to do. The aftermarket on parts is huge but you will need some of it to make a modern one with things like a railed forend to match the sig and mount stuff like a light. The HK mag change is comparatively slow and that hurts if you run it in competition. There are a thousand endcaps to mount braces and/or stocks if you SBR it.
The construction (at least mine) just oozes old school firearm quality.
If you just want an MP5 clone the PTR's are pretty good and way cheaper.
Everybody should have one.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11004 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one I bought last year when a local shop got two in. I got an acceptable price and the store owner gave me full retail for a trade-in that also saved me a lot on tax.

The quality of manufacturing and finish is superb, and it's a classic. The trigger is somewhat heavy and a bit rough, but that's how they are.

As for upgrades I've been trying things out:

- Magpul MOE forend installs very easily and gives you M-Lok slots and a small handstop.
- Gearhead Works folding adapter with a Tailhook is the same endcap as a Choate folder with an arm that takes the brace. Very solid but a bit heavy.
- Best brace of all is a real B&T folder endcap with a Tommy Built UMP brace. It looks "right". The B&T endcap with SB tactical folder is OK.
- Magpul grip housing fits a Franklin Binary trigger nicely and can be swapped with the factory housing/trigger in seconds.
- Newest micro mount by MFI will allow cowitness with an Aimpoint H-1 or similar.

Magazines can be had for about $69 at Botach and a few other places when they are in stock. I bought a few extra so that I never have to buy more.

I also have an MPX-K, a Scorpion, and now a Banshee MK17.

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Price isn’t really the issue I know a good dealer Wink it’s well under msrp.

Luckily I never started being a dealer to make a bunch of money it was to make enough to fund my gun habit.

Wow I never even looked at extra mags for it. I thought mpx mags were crazy. Those are even worse. I know factory mags are always best, but anybody try kci mags for them? Less than half the price, still metal mags.

Posts: 1305 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
They are awesome. If for nothing else then simply for pure nostalgia and collection. They will NOT go down in value and honestly could skyrocket if things progress negatively. Built like tanks and reliable as anything ever could be, with a gentle recoil from the roller delay system that has to be felt to be appreciated.

I don’t even care that the mag changes are a little slower and mounting a red dot is a bit of a hassle. It’s been around for over 50 years and is still a viable option, and with how many clones on the market these days? Just like the 1911, the HK MP5/SP5 is and always will be a popular weapon system and for good reason. Sometimes the latest and greatest just can’t dethrone the king. Not entirely anyway.

Posts: 4611 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I run the KCI mags as my range/competition mags to cut wear on my HK ones. Mostly they run fine. Occasionally for no apparent reason they don't and I just trash that one. If I was using the gun for something serious I'd run the real deal ones. The ETS ones are junk.
To the above by LeftySig I think the best (and I think I have truly tested almost all of them) of the braces is the B&T telescopic one and not the folding one. But there are a zillion options as you would expect for a classic.
PS HK 'slap' is worth the price of admission. Also no bolt hold open if that matters to you.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11004 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Alright. Not even sure why I asked. It’s an HK of course it’s good Big Grin

Honestly probably won’t get shot a ton anyways I just think it’s iconic so it needs to join the collection of guns before I lose them all in a boating accident

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kskelton:

Honestly probably won’t get shot a ton anyways I just think it’s iconic so it needs to join the collection of guns before I lose them all in a boating accident

And don't forget you need and SP5K PDW too, so budget for both.

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
quote:

And don't forget you need and SP5K PDW too, so budget for both.

Ahh hell. I do like that too. Guess it’s time to start counting my pennies in case I run across one of those

It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Love mine. It’s just a beautiful firearm and a joy to shoot with a brace or stock. Soft shooting and very accurate.

It’s a work of art and a great conversation piece. The quality and the history is what interests me. Also, I wanted a firearm that holds value that I can hand down to my kids.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have a SP5K and a 8" Gen2 MPX. Straight off I will say that I'm pleased and content with both. But at first I thought I really wanted a SP5 over the 'K', only because I liked the aesthetic of the larger configuration. But after a few months of ownership and use, I'm glad I got the smaller SP5K. While I like both of my subs, now that I've used them side by side for a while I do think that overall I like and prefer the operation of the MPX a bit more, primarily because of its close manual of arms to the AR15. If I had bought the SP5, its configuration and size more or less matches what my MPX already does for me. That HK for the most part would be more of a collectible rather than a go-to firearm, which is how I view my MPX as.

However the smaller SP5K feels and handles different enough that I could see it defined as a distinct tool in my 'bag of tricks', where using the MPX in certain situations might just be too big and a more than a shade cumbersome in those circumstances. The SP5 in either of its configurations captures the iconic nature of the MP5, so for me it comes down to which is more useful for me. I'm not saying that I would pass up on a chance at buying a SP5 to make it a trio if one at the right price came along, but if I were looking at this as which one of the three that down the road I would sell off first, I'm pretty certain that the SP5 would be the first one to go.

The SP5K has not been perfect; the small factory handguard annoys me with how it rattles and moves around; supreme fit it is not. The folding brace mount/support (albeit aftermarket) also has a rattily fit to the gun as well. The HK trigger is rather sucky while the trigger in my MPX is a very sweet 2-stage Timney (and keeping in mind that Bill G. also offers one for the SIG now as well). Because I can take advantage of perks with working for a gun shop I essentially cheat when it comes to my price paid for additional MP5/SP5 mags and guns stuff in general, so the current steep market price with buying extra magazines hasn't been a thing in my case (FWIW when we had them we retail the MP5 magazines for only about $5 or so above what we charge for the factory MPX mags, so suffice to say that both companies are rather proud of their gun magazines in general). That said, the same "bargain-getting" is true with what I actually paid for each of the dozen additional MPX magazines that I've bought over time. I'm not trying to brag, but that's just the reality for someone who works for a FFL dealer.

I definitely don't regret buying the SP5K. And I certainly have been very content with my years of MPX ownership (well, except when a can is onboard). You will enjoy both.

-MG

Posts: 1997 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Price isn’t really the issue I know a good dealer Wink it’s well under msrp.

Luckily I never started being a dealer to make a bunch of money it was to make enough to fund my gun habit.

Wow I never even looked at extra mags for it. I thought mpx mags were crazy. Those are even worse. I know factory mags are always best, but anybody try kci mags for them? Less than half the price, still metal mags.

You can get an SP5 under MSRP and you're posting here instead of ordering it?

Anything $3k and below today is a buy on the spot.

I can't say much more than others. The best accessory for it is an A2 stock. Also very enjoyable suppressed. Smile

Posts: 54 | Registered: February 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
I finally got a SP5K to scratch my SP89 itch that I have had since 1990. I ordered it from Arms Unlimited in December 2020, they import batches which are not marked with the “Warning” on the mag well. I hate those warnings.
I wanted an SP89 from about 1990, but could not afford it and the HK 94 that I bought at that time. The SP89 just accelerated beyond my meager income back then.

OP I would definitely recommend buying one if they speak to you! You can get your DieHard on once you get it.

**Update**
Spring Guns and Ammo (SGA) called me Sunday morning to ask if I wanted a SP5 that they had in inventory and I was next on the list. Well after some finessing of the wife (I totally married up) I am now the proud owner of a contemporary HK built SP5. They offered it to me for $2799 which I could not pass up. SGA is good people to me.

I love its short Navy tri-lug threaded barrel, paddle mag release and the HK quality. My only complaint would be the Beretta like Warning on the mag well, hate that stuff.

Another reason I need to get serious about setting up a trust and get this and some other things SBR'd.

KSkelton if you can get it for under MSRP you should have it by now!

HK Ag

This message has been edited. Last edited by: HK Ag,

Posts: 3502 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post