SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Seecamp- are you kidding!!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seecamp- are you kidding!! Login/Join 
Picture of jack32586
posted
Im beside myself- and both of us are befuddled. I purchased a brand new Seecamp yesterday. $800 after all was said and done. Bought the suggested ammo. Put a tiny( and I mean very little) amount of oil on just the “ rail” cause it was bone dry. Off to the range. Put the target close enough that I could see where it was going to keyhole. Pulled the trigger- bang. All was well. It fired, I could see a hole in the target, recoil was snappy but no big deal and it seemed to have chambered the next .380 Hydro-shok. I pulled the trigger again- bang. I could see the second hole near the first one. Thats cool, except the slide launched farther down range than the target. Is this a perk? You shoot twice and then the slide hits them too? Needless to say, after a VERY embarrassing conversation with the range guy about ceasefire and can retrieving my slide and springs, I fired off a phone call and then email to Seecamp. And this came today.

I am sorry this happened to you. We recommend only using a very light gun oil like eezox and very lightly lubricating the slide. Over lubricating the slide can cause the slide to come off. Please send me your name, address and phone number and I will get you a label, rma number and all the information to send the firearm in for the gunsmith to look over.

Over lubing the slide causes it to come off? Seriously? How much. I put barely enough to see on the various parts collected from the floor. Less? Can you reverse lube? Sand maybe, baby powder, British humor? The little sucker doesn’t look broken. All the stuff seems in working order.
I understand guns. I have built many. I have even broken a few. Timing causes jams. Too fast, too slow- jams or failure to feed. Theres a spring loaded takedown button inside. Its quite springy, and not globbed up (technical term) with oil or baby powder. The only way the slide comes off is by depressing the springy thing. And its east/west on the gun. I could even understand if it was up/down- it could depress from recoil. But its not- its side mounted.
Can anyone tell me, or at least help me understand how lubricants can cause a slide to launch down range? I want to like this gun. I rarely submerge a firearm in a vat of petroleum jelly overnight before a range session.

Posts: 206 | Location: S/W Florida | Registered: October 10, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jack32586:
British humor?

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
What in the freaking hell is this nonsense, overlubricating can cause the slide to fly off? I don't think even the Lorcin does that. Lol.

Q

Posts: 26407 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
"....I was down to my last shot. But there were 2 of them. I didn't know what to do, but I had some TW-25 with me. I quickly lubed down the slide knowing it was my only chance. I pulled the trigger. Sure enough, the bullet caught the first perp in the heart. The slide blasted past the first guy and got the second guy right between the eyes. I knew the fight was over. If it wasn't for Seecamp, I wouldn't be here today......"

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10928 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jack32586
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
quote:
Originally posted by jack32586:
British humor?

Yes, Sir I apparently bought the wrong one. I am inquiring, as we speak, about the doesn’t fall off one.

Posts: 206 | Location: S/W Florida | Registered: October 10, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Part of the problem is that, in my opinion, .380 is an over-pressure load - virtually a proof load - in that tiny little gun, barely a fraction of an inch bigger than the .32. But still, launching the slide off is a bit much. At least it didn't blow back at you.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Over lubricating the slide can cause the slide to come off.

Say again? Lol...I can't believe they actually said that. Those little Seecamps aren't cheap, either. I have a Jennings J-22 that will do that, but it's absolutely a POS, and somebody gave me one and a half of them for free. I've always thought the Seecamps was a nicely made little gun, although I've never shot the .380.

Posts: 8574 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Jesus I use a food grade super lubricant on a lot of guns. Would that be like a +P+ slide?

In all honesty that is one of the stupidest firearms related things I’ve ever heard.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I looked over their website and landed on the ammo recommendation page, in hopes of reading something about the OPs experience.
They were talking about "air pressure" and a "jet stream" when discussing hollow point bullet performance.
Cant say I ever heard that said in print before.
And not one word about slide launching.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16097 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
No way would I ever trust that gun after being told that over lubrication can cause the slide to fly off. Especially after the first two shots.

I’m probably being unreasonable but I’d be after Seecamp or the selling dealer to refund me. And if refused by either of them that would be my last dealings with them, period.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8108 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
Seecamps have been around a long time and it to me would seem that if this was a known problem it would have surfaced before now.

If it were mine doing this you would be calling me an EX seecamp owner.

Posts: 18035 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I looked over their website and landed on the ammo recommendation page, in hopes of reading something about the OPs experience.
They were talking about "air pressure" and a "jet stream" when discussing hollow point bullet performance.
Cant say I ever heard that said in print before.
And not one word about slide launching.

Strange comments indeed. Along with Seecamp advising the OP to use minimal lube to prevent slide launches. Sounds like defensive verbiage to me. The Seecamp .32 was decently reliable with the recommended ammo. I’m wondering how long the Seecamp .380 has been around.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8960 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
Wow, somehow that would require the detent to be depressed to allow the slide to lift up to come off the frame. I believe it happened, but can’t for the life of me figure out how over lubing can cause it. How stiff is the detent spring?

I have a 25, 32, and 380 Seecamps and bought a 32 for my adult son. All are Milford pistols from long before Larry sold the company. I’m not sure I would buy the newer guns, and the 380 was unpleasant enough to keep me from carrying it over the 32. I wouldn’t ever trust that gun, something is wrong with it.

Posts: 2960 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
The OP’s issue has been discussed here before:

“Seecamp 380 FAIL”
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...0601935/m/4930085064

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8960 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
At some fairly recent gun shows, a vendor had Seecamps in .32 and .380. The .32, IIRC, was priced around half a grand, the .380 a C-note more. Almost no one even picked one up, I'm guessing because of the price tag, double that of an LCP. The tiny size and total lack of sights are probably another factor, but one has to realize what this gun's intended use is. The machining, fit and finish is almost jewel-like. I could see myself having the .32 if A, I had a good source of proper ammunition for it; B, the trigger is so far forward in the guard that I doubt my ability to get my finger through it; C, I can't spare half a grand for what is essentially a frivolous purchase right now.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I've got a Milford (Larry's) .380 and it's worked fine for me using the recommended ammunition (Federal Hydra Shok and Winchester Silvertip). Send it back and at least give them the opportunity to make things right. Good luck with yours.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10199 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
What in the freaking hell is this nonsense, overlubricating can cause the slide to fly off?

I don't think I can even comprehend the assertion that lube will cause a slide to fly off?

Posts: 22912 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
I have a Milford (Larry's) .32ACP and it's worked fine for me using the recommended ammunition. Speer Gold Dot, in my case for the .32ACP.
Back in the day, I was a Member of the Seecamp Forum (it's done/gone now with the Seecamp ownership change) and that statement about excessive lubrication is true.
Being reasonably close to the Seecamp Factory, and being a Seecamp Forum Member at the time, I toured the Milford, CT Seecamp Factory, Larry Seecamp was the tour guide.

Here's a funny from a long time ago. An acquaintance of mine (long dead and gone now) was the Town Justice in a small town nearby. He carried a Seecamp .32 for everyday carry. Also in Court.
One day at the local coffee shop, he confided that he wanted to change out the ammunition in his Seecamp and load it up with some fresh ammo. His problem? The slide would not retract.
We tried retracting the slide in the coffee shop and the little Seecamp was loaded up with pocket lint in every nook and cranny.
My friend decided to shoot the existing ammo out of the Seecamp so he could unload/clean the gun/replace ammo.

The next time I saw my friend in the coffee shop I asked him how his Seecamp had worked. He told me the first two shots had blown out clouds of pocket lint, but the Seecamp had worked just fine.
He then decided to perform routine maintenance and ammo replacement somewhat more frequently.

On my Seecamp, I place one very small drop of oil on each side slide/frame rail. I've never launched my slide downrange.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1545 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
The spring loaded plunger that retains the slide on a Seecamp is on the left rear on the frame of the pistol.
That plunger has a protruding male rectangular section the physically rides in the female interior groove in the slide.
Excessive lubrication in the left side slide/frame rail groove is scraped off the groove as the slide reciprocates during operation.
Since fluids are non compressible, the resultant hydraulic pressure from the excessive lubrication depresses the plunger like a piston in a hydraulic cylinder.
Then your Seecamp slide launches downrange.
That's why Eezox is the recommended lubricant. Apply, let it dry, wipe off the excess.
Seecamp pistols work exactly as advertised when run virtually dry.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1545 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've NEVER heard of such a thing and the older thread from 2019 must have either escaped my notice or gotten lost in the vast volume of garbage that lives in my brain.

I've wanted a Seacamp forever, but years ago, it would have been an extravagance I just couldn't justify. Lately I've seen a couple for sale and have been seriously considering one, but now...not a chance.

I've got the LCP Max in 380 and I put larger night sights on it (those small front sights are, for an old guy, hard to see) and I'll make do with it. It works every time and that's all I need.

Bob

Posts: 1575 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post