SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P228 Legion in SAO? A pipe dream?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P228 Legion in SAO? A pipe dream? Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted
SIG doesn’t make them. Their concierge service is all about the P320. The old P-series guns are now their stepchildren. So why not DIY?

Upper assembly: from the KB factory Nickel gun that I abused and managed to crack the frame at 25k three years ago. It's still in outstanding condition, sitting around doing nothing, begging to function again.

Lower assembly: I was able to secure a nearly new complete P229 Legion SAO frame elsewhere. And the rest is history.

12131’s own Part Number for this SIG: E28R-9-LEGION-SAO-TSS Big Grin

Interesting frame color finish, like a darkened ODG, which matches quite well with the Nickel slide to my eyes. Typical P228 with the Hogue G10 Checkered grips, it feels great in hands, made even better with the front strap checkering. The safety lever is just perfectly located for thumb riding without worrying about inadvertently hitting the slide catch. I have P226 SAO Xguns, but the compactness of the P228/229 SAO feels just about perfect. The straight trigger with the smooth face is ok. I’d rather have one with the grooved surface for better purchase. For a production gun, the actual trigger pull is very good/excellent (at 3 lbs 6 oz average of 10 pulls). I know it’s all subjective, but the only reason for me to not rate it outstanding is that it is just a bit mushy right before the sear “breaks”.

Took it to the range a couple of days ago to verify actual function. Shot 200 rounds of Blazer Brass 115 Gr FMJ. There was a single hiccup that was not weapon related, due to a dud primer.

After this, I decided to retire the barrel and replaced it with a brand new one that SIG recrowned and finished in DLC for me 3 years ago. Overall. I am extremely pleased with my FrankenP228LegionSAO. Cool

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 12131,

Q

Posts: 26390 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
great karma. I'm in!!! Big Grin

Posts: 7800 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I like the custom serial number in the top two photos. Smile

Posts: 9514 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beautiful pistol!

Posts: 154 | Registered: December 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous!

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An interesting project and right in tune with the times as Staccato and FN are working to rehabilitate the SAO. It's not just us codgers and our 1911s.

Posts: 3287 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great job!

Posts: 872 | Location: Louisiana and Florida | Registered: February 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
Wow, that’s one sweet 228!
Nicely done sir

Posts: 3548 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Nice!

Posts: 9964 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Well done!!

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks Great!

I think it is awesome how you come up with such nice configurations by taking a part that needs a new home, and then making it all happen. KUDOS!

Did the frame need anything other than the matching Locking Insert (LI) for that old school stamped slide?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lot_45,

Posts: 159 | Location: PA | Registered: December 12, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Looks nice.
Do all P228/229 slide rails protrude at the muzzle end, or is that to do with the hybrid config?

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15327 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lot_45:
Did the frame need anything other than the matching locking block for that old school stamped slide?

Great that you asked, and because I discovered some new thing, the topic deserves a thread of its own, so the answer is here, https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...0601935/m/9670038884
But, the short answer is no, it needed nothing.

quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Looks nice.
Do all P228/229 slide rails protrude at the muzzle end, or is that to do with the hybrid config?

They are all like that. Here is pic of a P228R German.

Q

Posts: 26390 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I guess the contrast just makes it stand out more.
Thanks for the comparison

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15327 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Good looking hybrid Q. The slide is flat wore out from feeding 400 pounds of lead.. Big Grin. Did not anyone see the 12131 in the first pic? Big Grin. Its actually quite a hansome pistol. Oh hell, its on both sides of the TDL.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
This project makes me want to find a Nitron P228 slide and try it on my P229 Legion... I bet the balance of the folded slide feels great.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cokehockey
posted Hide Post
What an ingenious idea! I love the feel of the P229 Legion and bet it's a blast to shoot. Thanks for sharing.

““My mother always used to say: The older you get, the better you get, unless you’re a banana.” —Betty White

Posts: 102 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: February 03, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm content with the guns I have and haven't bought a gun in many years but I would buy a SAO P228 Legion in a heartbeat.

Well done!

Posts: 800 | Location: Southern NH | Registered: October 11, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I want one. I had a 228 years ago and liked it a lot except I could never master the DA/SA. One like it but in SAO would be about perfect. Beautiful gun!

Posts: 7268 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Pretty slick!
Looks nice.

Posts: 1559 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post