SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Carrying the P320 concerns
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Carrying the P320 concerns Login/Join 
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
No. If I did remotely buy into the hype, I’d just carry a Glock or M&P instead.

Too many good choices to stress over BS.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Now, this is an established member, gentlemen, not a troll. The topic is a SIG-Sauer product, in a SIG-Sauer discussion forum, and the OP's question is legitimate, regardless of any opinions we may hold. Let's act accordingly.

quote:
Originally posted by inspcalahan:
If the problems weren't a problem, then why do they continue year after year??? Open to current experiences and opinions.
Primarily, I use Glocks these days, with Walther striker pistols thrown in for good measure. All those pistols have a safety blade in the trigger.

If you're asking for opinions, my opinion is that all these reports of P320 pistols supposedly firing spontaneously stem from the P320 having a non-bladed trigger, combined with an inadvertant trigger press.

What got the ball rolling and what really made it a rough go for SIG-Sauer and the P320 was the "drop-safe" frenzy, which in my opinion has nothing at all to do with these pistols discharging when the trigger is pressed, intentionally or otherwise.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I need to play around with my P365. I don’t actually know what the thumb safety does.

Does it block the trigger movement or, mechanically block the sear.. Striker..

Even in a Sig without a manual safety, it would seem a cascade of failures would have to occur for the gun to fire.

But, I suppose it’s possible as the energy is stored for the gun to fire. Unlike a revolver or a traditional P series.

Posts: 881 | Location: High desert. Nevada | Registered: April 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Honestly I think your concerns lay more with striker fired guns in general vs the 320 specifically. The vast number of striker fired guns have fairly light trigger pulls with fairly short trigger pull distances. When you couple that with guns like the 320 or PPQ etc. that are essentially single action without a safety you are absolutely introducing a layer of extra caution and concern. The trade off being the guns are wicked easy to shoot well but are far less forgiving to holster choice and technique. I just think one needs to know this going in.

I’ve carried strikers without issue and don’t find them inherently unsafe but for me personally I am just more comfortable with a traditional hammer fired gun.

I do think SIG should have included a “dingus” on the guns, however.

ALL GUNS are dangerous and handling them comes with a level of risk. Know your platform and its drawbacks/idiosyncrasies and make sure you train to them. Know yourself and what you are personally comfortable with. The 320 is just another striker with a light short trigger no better no worse and it comes with all the same pros and cons as the rest IMO.

So sayeth’ the DA/SA troglodyte. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where there's smoke,
there's fire!!
Picture of techguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
Honestly I think your concerns lay more with striker fired guns in general vs the 320 specifically. The vast number of striker fired guns have fairly light trigger pulls with fairly short trigger pull distances. When you couple that with guns like the 320 or PPQ etc. that are essentially single action without a safety you are absolutely introducing a layer of extra caution and concern. The trade off being the guns are wicked easy to shoot well but are far less forgiving to holster choice and technique. I just think one needs to know this going in.

I’ve carried strikers without issue and don’t find them inherently unsafe but for me personally I am just more comfortable with a traditional hammer fired gun.

I do think SIG should have included a “dingus” on the guns, however.

ALL GUNS are dangerous and handling them comes with a level of risk. Know your platform and its drawbacks/idiosyncrasies and make sure you train to them. Know yourself and what you are personally comfortable with. The 320 is just another striker with a light short trigger no better no worse and it comes with all the same pros and cons as the rest IMO.

So sayeth’ the DA/SA troglodyte. Smile

I’ve carried Glocks since the mid 90’s. I’ve also carried striker fired S&W’s for years. I’ve never had concerns carrying those pistols.

Posts: 1770 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: February 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
If it is a concern, Agency Arms makes a P320 trigger with a dingus:

https://www.agencyarms.com/sig...ible-drop-in-trigger

The only downside is that it won’t work in an AXG frame, but every other one is a go.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
If it is a concern, Agency Arms makes a P320 trigger with a dingus:

Thanks. That looks like a quality part. It won’t make the internal P320 mechanism any safer or prevent the gun from firing if the trigger is pulled, but it would eliminate any worries about a discharge the next time I threw the gun out of a helicopter.

I may have to try one just to see how I like it. Before my next helicopter ride. Wink

Being concerned about something that is subject to unrelenting scaremongering hype is understandable. Many other things that get discussed here come to mind, and “Oh, don’t worry about it,” is often much easier said than done. The key to overcoming our concerns is of course studying and understanding the issue. That’s what I’ve done regarding the P320’s mechanism and my knowledge and rational thought process have convinced me that the gun can’t go off without pulling the trigger either directly or though some indirect means such as dropping it out of a helicopter. Anything else would be superstition of the black cat variety, and even though at one time I might have felt a twinge of hesitation about sitting down at a table with 12 other people, thinking such superstitions through consigns them to where they belong.

But no one has to walk under ladders or put hats on beds or carry a P320 if the thought bothers us. There are plenty of other options.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That does look like a quality part. Not sure if it is even remotely necessary but if I had 75 semolinons laying around without absolutely no purpose I might give it a whirl. I don't so I won't but it seems interesting.

Posts: 7344 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have 3 320s. For me, I make sure that the holster used fits properly and is constructed to hold its shape over time. And I return the gun to the holster properly (slow and unobstructed) if I am doing draw / fire drills. I do the same with Glocks, too.
If a bag or pocket carry is needed, I use a trigger guard holster or proper pocket holster that covers the trigger fully.
And I keep my finger off the trigger until I am prepared to shoot.
So far, so good!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I have 3 320s. For me, I make sure that the holster used fits properly and is constructed to hold its shape over time. And I return the gun to the holster properly (slow and unobstructed) if I am doing draw / fire drills. I do the same with Glocks, too.
If a bag or pocket carry is needed, I use a trigger guard holster or proper pocket holster that covers the trigger fully.
And I keep my finger off the trigger until I am prepared to shoot.
So far, so good!

This right here. The design is safe. If you pull the trigger it will go off, so don't touch the trigger when you shouldn't, and take appropriate steps to ensure that it doesn't get pulled inadvertently. I personally prefer a long DA trigger for pocket or bag carry, but that's a personal choice that I apply across the board, not just to the P320.

It's kind of amusing to me that these threads keep popping up about the P320, with concerns being expressed by people who have no issue with carrying (even pocket carrying Eek!) a P365. While they are different guns with completely different parts, the designs are very similar and the theory of operation is identical (fully-cocked striker, with a short light trigger pull that lowers the sear and allows the striker to fall). Yet because of the early pre-upgrade drop safety issues and subsequent ambulance chasers, the P320 gets all the scrutiny regarding NDs while the P365 gets virtually none.

Posts: 8414 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Training, proper holster selection and personal preference. As mentioned by several other posters.

Here's a fable for you. Some nobody named JM Browning invented a funny pistol with a funny lever on it. Later, some nobody named Jeff Cooper promoted it as a superb SD pistol. Soon, many in the realm began carrying it for SD purposes. Eventually, it even bamboozled members of elite SWAT teams who sought agency exemptions to be allowed to carry/use the dang thing.

Over the course of a few decades, critics arose in the realm decrying the dangers of carrying a "cocked and locked" 1911. An accident waiting to happen. What if the mechanism(s) malfunctioned? What if the gun was holstered with the thingy lever not properly engaged? What if a passing granny noticed somebody was carrying a pistol with the hammer back? What if, in the heat of the moment, the trigger was pulled without pushing the thingy DOWN? Etc...etc...etc.

Alas!!! This dangerous relic of a dark past was replaced with striker fired pistols. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know it isn't a popular opinion, but I did not care for the P320 and owned one that was an early model and WOULD fire if dropped. I even tested it with a loaded magazine and a primed cartridge casing. I decided that the P320 I had did nothing better than my G19 or M&P 2.0 compact, and that neither of those guns would fire if dropped, so I sold it and haven't looked back.

I dont know about these in holster discharges, but there are a lot of accusations.

Posts: 545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Texaspoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ranger3:
A couple weeks ago I texted with the Texas DPS Range Master asking if they had seen any of these issues. Keep in mind, the DPS has over 4K P320s in the field. He advised they have not had one single instance where a P320 went off without the trigger being pulled.

I'm with you as I use them for my data point in regards to the 320. They shoot a lot more than most agencies as well, so if there was still an issue with the 320, they would have likely found it.

TXPO

Coldborecustom.com

Posts: 258 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackwater
posted Hide Post
You'd think, if bumping the holster made the P320 go off, DPS and many other well trained/equipped agencies would be reporting on it.

Those reports/videos of what some end users say is the P320 magically discharging while in the holster is mechanically impossible without the trigger being pulled (garment or object caught in the trigger guard)

Sig Guy on you tube has some excellent vids on the mechanical underpinnings, and redundant safeties the P320.

There have been the same and as many, reports against Glock and I think the more prevalent the manufacturer in the field the more cases of dumbassery are bound to happen.

Joe

Posts: 2525 | Location: Az | Registered: October 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
And an interesting point about the Milwaukee video.

If you google Milwaukee PD and Glock you’ll find the same gloom and doom garbage about the Glock “gettin ya kilt in da streetz” in around 2010 if I remember right. Eventually, you have to look at the training (or lack there of) of your employees before you continually blame the equipment......

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
I’ve owned three P320’s and they were excellent guns - just not for me. Not because they were ever inherently unsafe - just that I’ve been used to Glocks for so long I just prefer them. (But please don’t tell them about the M&P 2.0 in my work locker…they get jealous…)

The P320 in its modularity was really revolutionary.

Posts: 1957 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
And an interesting point about the Milwaukee video.

If you google Milwaukee PD and Glock you’ll find the same gloom and doom garbage about the Glock “gettin ya kilt in da streetz” in around 2010 if I remember right. Eventually, you have to look at the training (or lack there of) of your employees before you continually blame the equipment......

But it's always easiest to blame an inanimate object. It can't defend itself.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
quote:
decided that the P320 I had did nothing better than my G19 or M&P 2.0 compact

To each his own. I on the other hand went to the range with my newly acquired P320 and a Glock 19 that I had owner for over 15 years and had put several thousand rounds through. Guess what, the P320 outshot (groupings) the Glock by a wide margin. I was able to put 10rds from the p320 into the size of a quarter at 10 yards but coudn't do the same with the Glock 19.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IF it were an actual issue with solely the pistol, there would be videos showing it replicated. The drop firing issue was able to be replicated, this issue is currently not. Glock leg would have been real if it could have been replicated. This issue currently appears to simply be an example of glock leg for sig.

You know good and well the sig haters have tried and tried to duplicate it, as well as many others simply trying to figure out if it is real or not. Plus sig no doubt looked into it - especially after the drop firing issue.

After a couple years and no one can explain or duplicate it - well, with as many 320 pistols out there, it is very, very, very doubtful it is real.

For now, it is sort of like bigfoot shows. Rehash of some reported sighting with no real new credible evidence. But it sure has some followers and makes some think about it. In a way that is not a bad thing when talking gun safety, one should always be careful. Plus, some folks may have never heard or experienced/witnessed an unintentional discharge due to shirts, debris, poor holster design, etc. It is a good lesson to learn/see on video, vs personally doing it..

Posts: 166 | Registered: September 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Obviously, this comes down to money. If Glock and Glock fans can keep this rumor going, less people will by them. They already cost a bit more than a Glock, so rumored safety issues don't help SIg.

Posts: 14 | Registered: November 05, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post