Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger sp101 Login/Join 
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
I think Ruger revolvers are plenty sexy in their own Ruger way. Always felt that way. And they clean up very, very nicely in the hands of a good revolver smith.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8683 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billnchristy:
My 327

I enjoy it.

Envy

Maybe I will get one of the Henry 327 lever guns...

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love those rugers they just look tank tuff.

Posts: 621 | Location: GA | Registered: September 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Animis Opibusque Parati
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by toivo:
quote:
Originally posted by Minnow:
I sold my SP101 357 and picked up a GP100 in it's place. Everyone has their preferences, but the 357 was not fun to shoot in the SP101.
When I ran across another SP101 3", chambered in 38sp I bought it.

Why not just shoot .38 Special in the .357 gun?

I sold the SP101 357 to help fund the GP100. That satisfied the 357 urge. When I ran across the SP101 chambered in 38spl, that one fit the need. Worked out fine for me since I ended up with 2 of Rugers best! LOL

"Prepared in mind and resources"

Posts: 1353 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

this gun was bought used after it was reportedly thrown from a vehicle. i had the gun cleaned up and sandblasted after confirming it's mechanics were functioning. the grips are badger boot grips.

Posts: 52 | Registered: August 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Looks pretty good for taking a dive out of a vehicle. Nice grips as well!

Posts: 4611 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I bought an SP101 2.25" Spurless over a dozen years ago and it is a solidly built gun. But I could not shoot it as well as all of my other handguns, even with .38 loads. Gave it to my son last year and he shoots it far better than me. He loves it.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16702 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really like my SP101.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Alabama  | Registered: February 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My SP is celebrating its 10th birthday with me. She's one I would never part with:

Posts: 394 | Location: Florida Gulf Coast | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the 2 inch version. Realy nice pistol.

Posts: 735 | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LincolnSixEcho;
I think the cylinder issue you referred to may be the problems some of the SP101's chambered in .327 Fed Mag had early on.
Certain production runs had extraction problems (eg - "sticky" hard-to-extract cases).
Don't know which serial numbers had the problem or when Ruger fixed the issue.
If you go over to RugerForum.com and look at the sub-forum called Ruger Revolvers there is a sticky thread discussing the problems with .327FedMag SP101's.
Also, some of the Ruger experts over there may be able to shed more light on the whole topic.

Now, that being said . . . I own several Ruger revolvers:
=2.25" SP101 in .357mag with regular DA/SA hammer,
=2.25" SP101 in .357mag with DAO hammer,
=3" SP101 in .327FedMag, and
=4" GP100 in .357mag.

All of them are stainless steel, have Hogue monogrips, and Wolff mainsprings in place of the factory mainsprings.
(Mainsprings replaced to reduce the DA trigger pull.)
I'll try to post some pictures later (if I can get Snapfish or PhotoBucket to cooperate).

The Ruger revolvers are tough, good looking, fun to shoot (even with full-load .357's), easy to maintain, and will probably last a life-time.
Something I will probably pass down to kids and grandkids.

Also (IMHO) revolvers are great for teaching beginners how to shoot.
My GF learned to shoot with the 3" .327FedMag.
She then carried it, then one of the 2.25" ones, until I got her a semi-auto last Christmas.
Also taught her daughter and a couple of daughter-in-laws to shoot with these revolvers.

Hope this helps.

Posts: 603 | Registered: December 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love my 2" 101. Shootable and accurate way beyond what I'd expected from a small gun. I once worked over a hillside with clay pigeons on the 50 yard range. Two handed and sitting at the bench I hit a surprising number.

My only concern is the way the action behaves when short stroked in double action. You can catch the mechanism out of time and lock it until forward travel resets it. Can't seem to make a Smith do that.

Posts: 389 | Registered: February 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fuimus
posted Hide Post
I'm looking for a Northern MI woods gun and have been throwing around the 3" SP and 3" GP. I owned the 2" SP and used Buffalo Bore 140 light magnums and it made a great combination.

Posts: 5369 | Location: Ypsilanti Township | Registered: January 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
I think most revolvers can short stroke if you try. I have a M28 that will do it if I run it too fast and get sloppy.

The GP100 would make a great Yoop gun. No worries on the snakes, so it would be just about right size for whatever might be stumbled across. I have a 3" .44spl on order for just this.

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Let us know what you think of that GP100 44spcl when you get it if you will Wink
quote:
Originally posted by entropy:
I think most revolvers can short stroke if you try. I have a M28 that will do it if I run it too fast and get sloppy.

The GP100 would make a great Yoop gun. No worries on the snakes, so it would be just about right size for whatever might be stumbled across. I have a 3" .44spl on order for just this.

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
Will do. Stop by the store once a week..."Nope. Not yet". I walk away disappointed....

"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the GP 100(KGP-161) in 6 in love it.
I carry (part-time) an SP-101 .357 with the 2 1/4 bbl.
I did put Hogue rubber grips on it. Great little gun. I carry it when I am not carrying my C3 Sig.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got my out my revolvers this weekend. Shot my Ruger Super Redhawk in 44mag and my Ruger GP 100 in 357 mag. Forgotten how much fun they are. They really made short work of the plate rack. Will get out my Smith and Wessons next go round. I usually shoot 44 specials in my Redhawk. A little easier on the old hands. Nice change from shoot my semi autos.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post

Her is my 3 inch .357. This was worked on by TK Custom when Tom started out his gunsmithing business.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Beanhead,

Posts: 1352 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
That's sweet.

Went into the local store to see if they had heard any whispers on my GP100 .44spl. Crickets. They did have a 3" SP that cought my eye however.