SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New Hellcat and thoughts on shooting
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Hellcat and thoughts on shooting Login/Join 
posted
1st firearm purchase since December 2019 and I'm happy with the Springfield. I know the story with the company and the 2nd Amendment. I think that's water under the bridge by now.
Nice pistol and it's going to replace my Kahr K9 Elite which is single stack and I only have a 6 rnd and 7 rnd magazine for. I now have better magazine capacity with the Hellcat.
This is also the 1st time I've shot anything since October of last year. Life happens and some things got in the way.
The pistol is well... a pistol. It's nothing special and it fires rounds just like every other pistol I own. I do like the grip texture and the U notch rear plus the bold green night sight up front. Easy to see and my eyes aren't what they used to be anymore.
Yes I was a bit rusty from the months of not shooting but it only took one magazine to get back on track really. Like riding a bike.
So 50 rounds of Blazer Brass and 25 rounds of Critical Duty with no issues. Ready to carry? I'd like to put a few 100 more through it but don't want to dig into my supply as the LGS still didn't have any 9mm target. I'll weigh the decision and make a call I guess. The Kahr has ~800 rounds through it and not a hitch.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joatmonv:

Yes I was a bit rusty from the months of not shooting but it only took one magazine to get back on track really. Like riding a bike.

To go off topic a bit, I've always contended that if you get to a certain level of expertise in shooting, the skill is not as perishable as a lot of people believe.

I once quit shooting trap for 20 years and when I came back I was only down around 2 or 3 birds per round. Three rounds later I was back where I was 20 years prior.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:

To go off topic a bit, I've always contended that if you get to a certain level of expertise in shooting, the skill is not as perishable as a lot of people believe.

I once quit shooting trap for 20 years and when I came back I was only down around 2 or 3 birds per round. Three rounds later I was back where I was 20 years prior.

I'm pretty sure you're correct. I'm 53 years old and have been shooting since I was about 12 when my father taught me. Years of deer, bear, rabbit and other animal hunting plus just recreational shooting is pretty learned at this point.
My daughter came to see me today and she's in her early 20's and I taught her to shoot. She owns a handgun and it's been a while for her and she still did good.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
They are good guns. I've never been a big Springfield Armory fan but I was pleasantly surprised by Hellcat.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4832 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:

A number of years back, I stopped shooting for over a year because of an eye issue. Once I started back, I practiced a couple of weeks before the match and managed win the match that included at least a couple of Master class shooters using my non-dominant eye. All those years of repetition come back to you pretty quickly.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4832 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jupiter:
They are good guns. I've never been a big Springfield Armory fan but I was pleasantly surprised by Hellcat.

I have a soft spot in my heart for Springfield as I shoot their pistols lights out.
They are not the most ergonomic pistols but personally, they're my favorite.
The Hellcat was a purchase that I knew would work.

Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I have a soft spot in my heart for Springfield as I shoot their pistols lights out.

In all fairness, my opinion of Springfield is based mostly on early experiences with an XD Tactical.
I sent one of their brand new base 1911s off to Wilson Combat for a full treatment so it was not the same pistol when I got it back.

-- George Orwell

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

In all fairness, my opinion of Springfield is based mostly on early experiences with an XD Tactical.
I sent one of their brand new base 1911s off to Wilson Combat for a full treatment so it was not the same pistol when I got it back.

I've owned a few from the XD and XDM line and loved them. Never a problem with any of them. Good pistols IMO.

Picture of photohause
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:

Yes off topic...Yes I strongly agree with the two of you. Cheers.

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

Posts: 1630 | Location:  | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
Some good news for Hellcat owners.

Springfield HELLCAT® customized by LTT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEgNDzC9gNs

-- George Orwell

posted Hide Post
quote:
Some good news for Hellcat owners.

Springfield HELLCAT® customized by LTT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEgNDzC9gNs

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DEgNDzC9gNs" title="YouTube video player" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

Although that looks really nice, I've never done anything to a pistol I carry to lessen trigger pull or anything.
Sights maybe depending on the pistol but that's about it.

34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
I almost bought a Hellcat about 2 months ago, but after playing with one side-by-side with a Sig P365, I opted for the 365 instead... and absolutely love the little thing! It now gets nearly 100% of my attention and everything else just sits in the safe. Big Grin

Posts: 4584 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
I have handled a couple Hellcats and really liked the feel of them. I've done the same with P365s.

I'm still stuck on my small Glocks, though. I keep going back to my P228 when I don't need a small carry piece.

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redlickranch
posted Hide Post
I bought a Hellcat a few weeks ago and just came across a factory 15 round mag. Haven't tried it out yet, but fits my hand nicely.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1047 | Location: Bluegrass State GO CARDS!!! | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bronicabill:
I almost bought a Hellcat about 2 months ago, but after playing with one side-by-side with a Sig P365, I opted for the 365 instead... and absolutely love the little thing! It now gets nearly 100% of my attention and everything else just sits in the safe. Big Grin

Those P365s are great guns. I can see why you love it.

I had a P365 but the grip was a little too small for me. I can drop the magazine on the Hellcat without shifting my grip. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

I was actually quite impressed the first time I held a Hellcat.
They seem to be well-designed pistols.

quote:
Originally posted by redlickranch:
I bought a Hellcat a few weeks ago and just came across a factory 15 round mag. Haven't tried it out yet, but fits my hand nicely.

While I don't care for the extended length magazines as the primary, I do like them as a backup. I may pick one up at some point.

quote:
Originally posted by BennerP220:
I'm still stuck on my small Glocks, though. I keep going back to my P228 when I don't need a small carry piece.

It's hard to get away from those damn Glocks. Big Grin

-- George Orwell