SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What ever happened to Para Ordnance?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What ever happened to Para Ordnance? Login/Join 
Picture of elberettas
posted
Hello Everyone,

I remember a time when it almost seemed like they had their own section of every local gun store. The guys behind the counter were always trying to push them, mentioning how all the big name competition shooters used them. I personally never liked them. I don't know why I just thought of this and realized that they're pretty much gone now.

Posts: 1958 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
In 2015, Remington integrated Para USA into Big Green itself, and moved Para USA from North Carolina to Alabama, to join in with several other companies which Freedom was consolidating under the Remington banner. The name Para USA was eliminated, but Para’s lifetime warranty for its firearms (original purchases only, if I am not mistaken) is still being honored by Remington.

Remington probably is putting little effort into the line these days. I'm sure the Freedom Group killed most of what was left.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
Remington killed it off. They have also killed off Bushmaster, DPMS, Storm Lake Barrels, and Tapco this year. I have owned a few Para Ordnance 1911's made at the various factories and have never had an issue with them. I still have a LTC Commander and it is a great gun.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had two paraordnance pistols; a 13.45, and a 10.40, both of which functioned just as advertised, no issues at all.

They definitely felt chunky in the hand, as compared to a 1911.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
My wife had a Para P14 back in the 90s. It had a bit of custom gunwork done on it by a local gunsmith, Tim Backus. She loved that gun, probably her favorite pistol that she has ever owned.

She also had a Colt Officer's Model that was done up to match the Para P14 for her EDC gun at that time.

I knew several Deputies in a neighboring county that were carrying P14s for their duty guns.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1898 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not 100% positive, but I think the Huntsville, AL facility is now operating as Remington Defense, cranking out M4s as opposed to DPMS, Bushmaster, etc. for the civilian market.

Posts: 3221 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rat2306:
Not 100% positive, but I think the Huntsville, AL facility is now operating as Remington Defense, cranking out M4s as opposed to DPMS, Bushmaster, etc. for the civilian market.

quote:
REMINGTON AWARDED ARMY CARBINE CONTRACT
June 25 2018
Huntsville, AL – Remington is pleased to announce the recent award of a contract to supply the US Army with Commercial Off The Shelf (COTS) 5.56mm Carbines.

This is the second significant award for 5.56mm carbines to Remington by the US Army on behalf of key international allies. Remington Chief Executive Officer Anthony Acitelli said of the award: “Remington is proud of our continuing contribution to public safety and our nation’s national security priorities worldwide. “We look forward to continuing our daily dedication to the design, production, and delivery of the highest quality military and law enforcement products for our public safety officers, warfighters, and allies alike.”

https://www.tactical-life.com/...fense-army-carbines/

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^ Thanks for the link to that article. I'd found this one recently while looking for DPMS parts for my pre-ban A2.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com...raqi-special-forces/

Posts: 3221 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd consider an older one on the used market, but these days I won't buy anything remotely connected with Remington. I've been burned too many times.

Posts: 17145 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
I'd consider an older one on the used market, but these days I won't buy anything remotely connected with Remington. I've been burned too many times.

Not tempted by the Remington Pistols? I have exactly 1 remington a 700 BDL is just a rifle nothing special about it. I did have briefly a Remlin model 39a. It was a piece of shit and no longer disgraces my gun cabinet.

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My P12is one of my most reliable (Canadian mgf)

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
I had a P12-45 in stainless and it was a great shooter. I sold it a while back to fund another project, probably a mistake.

Loved the high cap 45 small package.

HK Ag

Posts: 3502 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Remington could fuck up the working parts of a brick.

Posts: 17145 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Freedom group took a crappy company and made it crappier.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7946 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
My Canadian guns and mags were great. I still have a P14-45 limited and it runs like a top.

US mags, followers, and guns were iffy. Remington made it worse. They still sell a version I think. I'd be leery and shoot/vet first before buying if possible.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3211 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well at least Cerberus Capital isn't around to muck it up any further (back 2 grocery stores 4U!!!). But I'm sure Franklin Templeton--currently the majority owner I believe--and JP Morgan Chase (largest minority owner) are still plotting how they're going to get out from under the burden of owning a...*GASP*..."gun company". Both entities had publicly stated anti-gun policies in place when they had to step in after the Remington Ch. 11 bankruptcy in 2018. Definitely not the healthiest of scenarios for any gun company trying to rise from near death. Aside from the declined cash offer from the Navajo Nation in 2018, I'm not aware of anyone else being interested in buying them.

Para as a brand has been gone these past five years, a casualty of the restructuring that the remnants of Freedom Group was performing at the time as it morphed itself into the Remington Outdoors umbrella brand. We got more than a few customers and Para owners who are still in mourning over the loss. Although I'll venture that none of them own any of the company's infamously unreliable double stack 1911s, at least that I'm aware of.

-MG

Posts: 1993 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of T.Webb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4859:
Remington killed it off. They have also killed off Bushmaster, DPMS, Storm Lake Barrels, and Tapco this year. I have owned a few Para Ordnance 1911's made at the various factories and have never had an issue with them. I still have a LTC Commander and it is a great gun.

And Rohrbaugh as well. I'm really debating if I should hold on to my R9 Stealth or put it up for sale.

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by T.Webb:
quote:
Originally posted by 4859:

And Rohrbaugh as well. I'm really debating if I should hold on to my R9 Stealth or put it up for sale.

It keeps getting worse.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
My one Para, bought against my better judgment, made right before they were swallowed up by Remington/Freedom group, was a giant turd.
Looked nice, but was the most inaccurate 1911 I've ever fired. Probably the most inaccurate full sized auto pistol I've ever fired. And it went from a really tight pistol to a rattle trap in about 450 rounds.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who else?
Picture of Jager
posted Hide Post
Had a stainless P14-45. 100% function and the accuracy was great.

It was just too heavy to carry. Having 15 rounds of 45 ACP on tap SOUNDED like a great idea. I tried. After a few hours I wanted to ask people to borrow a wheelbarrow to carry it around in.

Some said use it as a bedside gun. Great idea, actually. But I wanted a handgun, not a towed artillery piece.

It had to go.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post