SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P220 reliability with Speer 230 Gold Dots?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P220 reliability with Speer 230 Gold Dots? Login/Join 
Uppity Helot
posted
I am taking a hard look at a P220. I mostly shoot my home cast bullet handloads. What limited factory ammo I have in .45, is military ball and commercial FMJ. I have seen a relatively limited amount of Speer .45 230 good dot that is not obscenely priced.

I understand that every pistol needs to be individually tested etc. I am asking the Sig brain trust if people tested and or carry the Speer 230 grain gold dot in their p220’s. I will be using factory 7 & 8 round mags exclusively. Is this combination generally considered reliable or is there some factor that makes this particular combination problematic?

Thanks,

Divil

Posts: 3158 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I owned a P220 Legion for a couple years and it was 100% with ball, Gold Dots, and HST.
Not one single stoppage.

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I have found gold dot .45 to be the most consistently reliable defensive round across numerous platforms.

I have never had issue with it in a P220.

PLEASE NOTE - This is not me saying everything else sucks or is a jammomatic etc. I’ve had great luck with HST, Golden Sabre, PDX/Ranger, WWB etc. I am just saying they Gold Dots in my experience seems to just run without a second thought in anything I’ve run it in. In .45 it’s my go to, and again no issues specifically with a P220.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7686 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I've got 5 220s and all of them are 100% with 230 grain Gold Dots.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I've had no issue with gold dots. To be honest, I've never had a malfunction with either P220's on any ammunition, include white box JHP's. The only time was using a 10rd promag which I quickly threw away.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7079 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have two P220s. An old folded slide model and an Elite Stainless.
I believe both of them will chamber a 16 inch concrete block.
Current carry load is 230 HST non +P but I have used Gold Dots with no problems in the past.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16110 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
None of my P220s have ever choked. On anything. Even import steel case.
And gold dots are my preferred load for everything when I can get it.
I don’t know what it is about the P220, but it seems everything just “gelled” with that platform.

Edited for spelling. I just noticed auto correct had “good dogs” instead of “Gold Dots”. Oh my.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: hudr,

Posts: 6308 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input gents. I feel better about this combination now.

Posts: 3158 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
I have a P220 Combat, for 10+ years I fed it Speer 230gr +P without issue until I switched to Federal HSTs. Never had an issue with Speer whatsoever.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3451 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Clem Eastwood
posted Hide Post
Both my old early 90s P220 and my 2012 model shoot everything without an problems.

Posts: 2068 | Location: North Texas | Registered: January 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No problemo with GD 230 GR....or +P.

Posts: 3233 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back when I still had mine it had no issues with gold dots or hst.

Posts: 1633 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
I fed my P220 nothing but lead semi-wad cutters. Never balked. I'm a big P220 fan.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I’ve had several 220s over the years. Never ended up hanging on to one long term, but reliability was never an issue. I’ve never seen one choke with any round that would fit in the magazine. I want to say that I did find one factory round that was just a hair long for the magazine, but honestly I might be thinking of a different pistol and can’t recall what the load was. Critical Duty maybe? I know my Glock 21 didn’t like those.

I’ve never had any of my pistols fail to feed Gold Dot.

Posts: 2594 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
I have 3 220’s
A super match, a SAS carry, and just bought a Legion
All are SAO
All feed gold dots like they’re shucking corn
And those gold dots will fuck up your world if hit with them

________,_____________________________
Guns don't kill people - Alec Baldwin kills people.

Posts: 1309 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
You are talking about a SIG P220 . . .

I own and shoot many P220s at the moment.
I have owned more than a dozen over the decades, my Family members owned them as well

I bought my first P220 in 1978 and still own that one.
I carried a P220 for many years as my primary sidearm and had one confrontation with it

I can not recall any ammunition from the major manufacturers that ever gave me trouble.
That includes Gold Dot, XTPs, Hydrashok, Black Talon and any of their descendants

I currently carry the Hornady XTP 230 grain +P ammunition simply because I have a big stock of it.

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5180 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
I appreciate everyone’s replies on this topic. The P220 is now on the back burner. I spied an excellent condition S&W 4566 for a (in current times) good price and jumped on it. The P220 is now a 2023 acquisition project but I am glad that they are not ammo sensitive.