SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    210CA - Good, Bad, Ugly
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

210CA - Good, Bad, Ugly Login/Join 
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
I disagree with your definition. If I pull through to the “wall” and then there is more travel to the break, gritty or not, that is creep.

Most people would call that "overtravel." Creep refers to any movement of the trigger at the wall, prior to the sear releasing.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3212 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Austin228 You may be right - 500 rounds probably will make a difference even on this superbly machined and fitted pistol. At 30 cents a round, that would be some $150 worth of ammo and hours of effort. - I performed a serious cleaning and found that it took many cycles of brush/patches to get the barrel really clean. [More cycles than with other 9mm pistols] That suggests that the barrel is not quite at steady-state.
Reinserting the recoil assembly was a bit more easy (still hard to do), but need to craft a solid-plastic gripping tool to help. Still, if the hammer is down, I find it very difficult to retract the slide enough to be able to strip a cartridge from the magazine. I need to cock the hammer before retracting the slide. Am I the only one with this issue?

Mac in Michigan

Posts: 504 | Location: Below the Bridge in Michigan | Registered: July 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don’t understand making a safe queen out of an American P210, but to each his own.

Posts: 222 | Registered: July 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P320Mac:
I performed a serious cleaning and found that it took many cycles of brush/patches to get the barrel really clean. [More cycles than with other 9mm pistols] ...
... Still, if the hammer is down, I find it very difficult to retract the slide enough to be able to strip a cartridge from the magazine. I need to cock the hammer before retracting the slide. Am I the only one with this issue?
One suspects you're the only one with any of these issues.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Poppy6x
posted Hide Post
I’m retired and I have this disease that compels me to get new pistol models when they come out from the major manufacturers. So of course I got the first P210 Carry that showed up at LGS. Here’s my take:
It’s very slim and easy to carry IWB. (My reference)
Kind of an ugly pistol with a funky “scalloped” safety lever. Even so, very comfortable as I ride the safety when shooting 1911’s.
Trigger did not bother me, but I was surprised at the lack of legendary P210 accuracy. My groups were no better than what I get with my G19. Also, my P226 Legion SAO beats them both. This was my biggest “huh” with P210c.
Finally, as far as carry goes, why opt for pistol with half the capacity of a double stack? So, the P210c never made it into my carry rotation and it sits in the safe. I will eventually sell or trade it.

Sigs, HKs, S&Ws, Rugers, Wilsons, Nighthawks, Colts

Posts: 234 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: June 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Haven’t read here in awhile. I disagree 1kperday. Overtravel is movement AFTER the break, hence why overtravel set screws work. Once you take up the slack in a trigger any movement before the sear trips is creep, movement after is overtravel.

Unless I’ve misunderstood it my whole life I stand by my definition as accurate.

Posts: 7524 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Haven’t read here in awhile. I disagree 1kperday. Overtravel is movement AFTER the break, hence why overtravel set screws work. Once you take up the slack in a trigger any movement before the sear trips is creep, movement after is overtravel.

Unless I’ve misunderstood it my whole life I stand by my definition as accurate.

I think we're actually saying the same thing. I may have misunderstood what you originally posted.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3212 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do that all the time. lol

Posts: 7524 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ensigmatic - if true that I am the only one with issues with needed slide force and lack of accuracy (groups not at all near where expected), then that suggests need for verification by having another tester. [side story: back in serious rifle competition long ago, A true loss of precision was verified by another shooter - barrel had an almost invisible constriction - some of the time it is the firearm] Your comment is helpful.

austintx: firearms that either lack accuracy or precision (or both) are just not interesting for shooting. The 210CA is still an interesting example in the history of firearms - an old Luger or C90 are in the same category.

Poppy6X: Too limited testing suggests that 210CA is reasonably precise (small group considering the sights), but is far from being accurate as groups are a long way from where they should be (and SIG's manual says that the sighting is on at 25 yards). I wonder if being retired you found difficulty returning the recoil-spring-assembly after cleaning, and whether you found difficulty racking the slide.

good group on here. Thanks

Mac in Michigan

Posts: 504 | Location: Below the Bridge in Michigan | Registered: July 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
austintx: firearms that either lack accuracy or precision (or both) are just not interesting for shooting. The 210CA is still an interesting example in the history of firearms - an old Luger or C90 are in the same category.

No argument there. But your original post, in which you stated that you would like make a safe queen out of the pistol, contained no mention of accuracy and/or precision issues. Hence my puzzlement.

I wouldn't describe a Luger as you have, though, unless it's one that has been shot to death. A Luger in good condition is typically very accurate.

Posts: 222 | Registered: July 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
That's not creep. It's a two-stage trigger. Has two "walls." Creep has grittiness. You'll notice that short second travel with slightly increased resistance has no grittiness. Or at least mine doesn't. Nor have I seen others complain of it.

This is it. People new to the P210 will often complain about the "creep", when they don't realize it's the nature of the trigger system. Don't believe us? Just ask member OTD, whom I consider the foremost authority on the P210 on here.

Yeah, I'm one of those whose personal definition of "2-stage" as formed on rifles doesn't neatly fit the scaled down feel of my P210 experiences, regardless of the pistol's country of origin. The P210's initial stage certainly is miniscule in comparison and the complete antithesis of the HK P30 V3 experience (commonly know as 'crappy', not creepy), but that's where the "problem" of perception comes. On a 1911 that small amount of initial trigger takeup is commonly interpreted as creep, but on a P210 it's called out as trigger staging. Both are SAOs, yet contextually so different.

So much to learn. Or is it unlearn? Roll Eyes

-MG

Posts: 1994 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have planned to buy one when I can find one.
Any further experience with its accuracy would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Posts: 826 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post