SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    So how are you guys liking your Glock 43?
Page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So how are you guys liking your Glock 43? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BMR:
And what do you carry yours in? I just ordered one and should be getting it in a few days. I came across a thread where para was talking about getting a Remora IWB (6G-ART) holster for his. I had never heard of this brand, but looked it up and they look really nice for a good price.

I like mine so well that I no longer call it a Glock 43.

I now simply refer to it as, "The Answer."

Posts: 1093 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Far out, man.

Posts: 107612 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truckin' On
Picture of AH.74
posted Hide Post
I just swapped in the new connector from Glock Parts (thanks for the heads-up, Para) and it's definitely a little....softer, I would say. Not quite as brisk in its break. Not a major change, but enough to make the switch worth making IMO.

Love carrying this gun.

Posts: 7344 | Location: Hermit’s Peak | Registered: November 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunguru123:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by duncan:
What's not to like about a single stack 9mm Glock?
If your thumb keeps slide locking the pistol during firing. Wink
Grrr, yeah, I have that problem at times. I've had to modify my G43 to make it work for me. I have TT +2 and +3 base pads, Talon grips, Vickers slide stop and mag release...
Interesting. I bought a Vickers slide stop for the G43 before I realized the actual cause of the premature slide locking, thinking the OEM slide stop was contacting the bullet ogive. After realizing the issue, I never bothered to install the Vickers part, because the top of it juts out more than the OEM part. I figured this would make things worse.

Instead, I purchased a second OEM slide stop and modified it as you see at the top of page 6 of this thread. One pass with a Dremel and a cutoff wheel and a few strokes with a file to smooth the cut edge and I have what you see in the 'shopped photo. The only problem is that there is simply not enough slide stop left to gain an adequate purchase to manually release the slide by pressing down on the lever. This is not how I normally release the slide. I release it by grasping the slide. Nevertheless, it's a bit disconcerting to not be able to drop the slide in the aforementioned fashion if the need arose. Hell, I didn't even try test-firing the pistol with the modified OEM part in place, for this reason. I just reinstalled the original slide stop and my wife now uses this pistol.
However, if you eliminated premature slide locks with the Vickers part, I'm going to give it a try, even though it doesn't make sense to me.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Aight, all set for the range.

Picture of AZnine
posted Hide Post
Nice pistol!!

Posts: 163 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: June 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I'm going to try to get to the range today and try it with my three primary defensive loads- Federal HST 124 grain, which is what the pistol stays loaded with these days and with which I don't experience premature locking; Federal HST 124 grain +P and Speer 124 grain Gold Dot +P, both of with which I experience premature locking. This is due, no doubt, to the greater recoil of these loads. I experienced the same thing with Winchester Q4318, a NATO loading which is noticeably hotter than standard pressure fmj 9x19 ammunition.

If the Vickers part corrects the issue, that would be peachy. In terms of releasing the slide via the slide release lever, the Vickers part is much better than the OEM part. My feeling is that on Glock pistols, the designers treated the slide release as an auxiliary method of closing the action.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Looking good. Hope it functions for you.

My Vickers set up has been perfect, but then again, I don't carry my thumbs high enough to interfere with the slide stop function.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
Looking good. Hope it functions for you.

My Vickers set up has been perfect, but then again, I don't carry my thumbs high enough to interfere with the slide stop function.

Edit to add: 124 HST +P is what I carry in mine, and I've shot 100 rounds without issue.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Well now. That's interesting. I took my G43 to the range and fired the following: 18 rounds Speer GD 124 +P; 24 rounds Federal HST 124 P; 18 rounds Federal HST 124. No malfunctions.

Sixty rounds is a small sample and it will be necessary to really wring out this pistol before trusting it altogether, but this is most promising indeed.

Also, I had installed the new connector. It's lighter than the original connector, of course. The new connector has a nice wall to it, something the Ghost connector lacks. In the case of my pistol, there's a slight bit of creep in the takeup- sort of a little "hitch" in the pull. I'm going to give the pistol a 25 cent trigger job.

As I said before, though, the wife is using this one mainly. I took my Coldbore G26 along today and I shoot this pistol much better than the G43. It's a reaffirmation that the smallest Glock I should rely on should be the G26.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BMR:
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
I've been carrying mine in a Remora as well. I have both the standard no clip and recently ordered the one with the clip. Honestly the clip is too low for my liking so the butt of the gun rides very high...I much prefer the no clip version.

Do you have either the sweat shield or full sweat shield? How about the leather lining?

I have the non-sweat shied for chilly days and I have the Remora w/ sweat shield. With the sweat shield expect a wee (very wee) bit more bulk showing under a T-shirt. Use it daily. Sweat does gather (even here South of Tucson) on the skin side of the holster and sweat shield. Don't think it
penetrates through to G-43. If a very long day__maybe.

Posts: 395 | Location: Green Valley, Arizona | Registered: May 01, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
LOL, you sound like a true Glock fan

Guilty as charged.

There are tons of others I really like. Old W. German Sigs, Berettas, HK's USP series, and such.

But when I need to make a hole, and I need to place it in exactly the right spot, I depend on Glock to get it done.

I have the same gripes as everybody else - dumb grip, blocky feeling, ugly slide, cheap-o plastic sights, and so on. But, when I put all that crap aside - the "feel" or "looks" of the thing, and just concentrate on making the holes - Glock gets the job done.

I'm going to try out my 43 on the Winchster USA steel cased stuff tomorrow. Looking forward to giving it a go.

Posts: 10753 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
The 43 in a Desantis Nemesis pocket carry is my daily carry now.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
If you accept the cause of the premature slide locking in my pistol to be my thumb hitting the lever during firing, it really makes no sense that a part that sticks out farther would be less prone to this happening.
Apparently, there's something else going on here. I do notice that the slide lock feels differently when the action is locked open. I can't really describe it, but it's apparent there are some minor dimensional differences to this part in comparison with the OEM, and more than just the shape of the slide release lever pad itself. I also notice that the bottom end of the lever- the part of it closest to my thumb- lays closer to the frame of the pistol. This is a fraction of a fraction of a millimeter.

In the G42/43 slide lock, the spring is a removable/replaceable part- a coil spring. I used the spring that came with the original slide lock for the pistol, so, no difference there.

I don't know. I do know that one single range session with 60 rounds is not sufficient to prove to me the issue has been corrected with the Vickers part.

I've still yet to fire the pistol with the OEM slide lock I modified as you see below. Before I modified the part, it didn't occur to me that I would encounter any difficulty in actuating the slide release. I figured that the top portion of the lever is where the pressure is being applied, so it should still work. But, no. With the slide locked back and no magazine in place, I can push down as hard as I can with one thumb on top of the other, and still not release the slide! If I pull back ever so slightly on the slide- just the slightest pressure rearward, then I can release the slide, and this, of course, makes the modified part useless for manual release.

posted Hide Post
Para,

Maybe I've missed it, but have you tried shooting it left-handed to eliminate the possibility of hitting the slide stop with your thumb?

Posts: 104 | Registered: February 08, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TENWOLVES
posted Hide Post
Good point, I'm a lefty, and never have a slide problem...and that's with any of my auto's..

P226 Scorpion, P225 A-1, P 226 SAO Legion, P229 Legion, P 22O Hunter SAO, P938, P320 full, P 320X Carry, P365 P365 XL. P365 SAS

Posts: 277 | Location: Grant Pass, Oregon | Registered: April 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I agree with you that there seems to be more to this slide release issue than just the topside geometry. The reason I installed the Vickers release was that with the OEM part, I found it near impossible to release the slide by pushing down on the lever. It could be done, but took a lot of pressure. To the point it was painful on my thumb. I don't usually use the SSL to drop the slide, but I want it there in case I need to do it one handed or speedy mag changes.

With the Vickers part, the release is much easier. I'm sure it's partly because you get a better purchase on the lever, but I think it goes beyond that.

What all that has to do with locking back or not locking back during live fire, I don't know. I never had a lock back issue with the OEM part or so far with the Vickers.

-D.H. Lawrence

Picture of TENWOLVES
posted Hide Post
I have to say, Glocks and a few other Striker fired guns are the only guns I have that have never had a break in period, they worked great from the beginning

P226 Scorpion, P225 A-1, P 226 SAO Legion, P229 Legion, P 22O Hunter SAO, P938, P320 full, P 320X Carry, P365 P365 XL. P365 SAS

Posts: 277 | Location: Grant Pass, Oregon | Registered: April 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I've ordered a Vickers slide stop, which may correct the issue, but the G26 looks awfully good right now. Awfully good.

I like the G26. If you don't have any yet, try the trigger on a gen 3 vs gen 4 before buying. I usually put Ghost connectors in my Glocks. I think it makes the triggers feel more consistent between Glocks. Trigger feel varies from glock to glock, in my experience, using the factory connectors.

With that in mind, in my sample size of one G26 gen 4, the trigger feel using the Ghost connectors is different than my other G19/G26 gen 3 glocks. My gen 3 has some take up and a 'second' stage at the end of the pull. The gen 4 has less take-up and breaks earlier (no second stage) in the trigger pull.

Both are useable. But I prefer the feel of the gen 3 triggers. Not sure if all gen 4's are this way -- sample size of 1. And not sure why it's this way.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12723 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
I like the G26. If you don't have any yet, try the trigger on a gen 3 vs gen 4 before buying.
The G26 and I are old friends.