SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Ruger 57 for Concealed Carry
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger 57 for Concealed Carry Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ace31:
A good 5.7 round comparison for CCW if desired.
https://youtu.be/kh_WxeOAcxo

Thank you for the reference and I have seen Paul's video on this before and it was good to watch again. I like his test with the ribs and the watermelon and the denim which is different than how some others would do the tests such as Chris Baker Lucky Gunner which uses denim, cotton, and ballistic gel. I think all of the people who do these tests provide helpful information and no one caliber meets the needs of everyone. There are advantages and disadvantages to all of the calibers.

Here is a reference to an interesting article I found which is a little off the topic but it summarizes the FBI tests between the 9 mm another calibers. The article is entitled: will this debate ever be settled? https://www.outdoorlife.com/bl...es-it-really-matter/

I believe this article is similar to the 5.7 for self-defense in that there will always be debate on this issue. I particularly like Paul's comments that the 5.7 caliber is a "Niche" that need some people's needs and for some individuals it works out very well. I have always been intrigued by the caliber because of the velocity, lightweight ammo, low recoil, flat shooting, and ability to penetrate. If I am not mistaken I believe the primary reason for developing the round was penetration and weight in that NATO troops could carry much larger amounts of ammunition.

One reference I came across said that Germany was against this round being adopted on a large scale for NATO troops because they wanted their version, 4.6X30mm, to be adopted instead. I do not know if that statement is true but if NATO had adopted the 5.7 round then we would probably see much greater availability and lower prices.

Thank you and Merry Christmas.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 883 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
quote:
Originally posted by SSAreGreat:
Yes abnmacv, At 8.5 inches the Ruger 57 is a little long for an outside the waistband holster. It can be done but the pistol will be below the belt a bit. It would work well in a vertical shoulder holster.

It's the same overall length as a full size 1911, just a little taller in the grip and a little thicker. Or, between a G17 and G34. So, if you can carry one of the others...

I did not realize but I have a holster that fits the Ruger 57, my Safari GLS paddle holster. I bought it for my Walter PPQ 22LR 5 inch. I tried the 57 and it fits the holster fine. I tried it with the sports jacket and 1 of my vest that I wear in the summer and the firearm conceals well. I found that drawing the firearm was easy. The 57 is unloaded but has an unloaded magazine in it. When I lift my arm up to reach for something the bottom of the holster does show a little on my vest but there are other options for holsters available Such as the Mitch Rosen OWB pancake style holster. I prefer leather versus Kydex but that is just my personal choice.

Of course the issue with carrying this firearm is when will I find ammo at reasonable prices . Have a great day.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

posted Hide Post
Remember, the 5.7 round was designed for a NATO requirement for a weapon that could be used by troops who (at the time) would normally only carry a 9mm sidearm. So it had specifications like improved range, accuracy, and penetration against targets, who would likely be wearing body armor, over 9mm. By those specifications, the 5.7 round and associated P90, a compact machine gun with a 50 round magazine, was superior to 9mm. Things like concealability and engaging unarmored civilian targets at typical pistol self-defense ranges weren’t a primary consideration in the design of the round.

That said, the watermelon results in the YouTube video, plus the Fort Hood shooting, do show that 5.7 can be an effective round. Whether the designs of the current 5.7 pistols are the best for concealed carry is a separate issue.

Posts: 3336 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ace31
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
RBy those specifications, the 5.7 round and associated P90, a compact machine gun with a 50 round magazine, was superior to 9mm. Things like concealability and engaging unarmored civilian targets at typical pistol self-defense ranges weren’t a primary consideration in the design of the round.

That said, the watermelon results in the YouTube video, plus the Fort Hood shooting, do show that 5.7 can be an effective round. Whether the designs of the current 5.7 pistols are the best for concealed carry is a separate issue.

That is what most folks overlook and where the 5.7 really shines in the P90 subgun. A specific cartridge and gun for a purpose. Unlike the pistol where you never see the full 5.7 cartridge potential as developed. As a 5.7 shooter myself would I carry the FN or Ruger as a self defense pistol? Perhaps someday if I had a very specific use for the round.

Posts: 2162 | Location: Wherever the voices in my head tell me to go | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Somewhat large

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arflattop
posted Hide Post
I carry the Ruger 57 in a Garrett OWB holster. I wear a solid colored Hawaiian shirt in the summer, flannel in the winter, so concealment is no problem. It is large, but like the round and the capacity. When absolutely necessary I revert back to a Sig P365XL IWB.

JPFO Life Member

Posts: 1216 | Location: Heartland of KY | Registered: January 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 15908 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
$2/rd for 27gr HP:

https://www.ammunitiondepot.co...tm_content=Message+1

Since August I have been seeing 5.7 x 28mm on Ammoseek selling from $1 to $3.50 $1-$3. It is unfortunate that the prices are so high especially at the time I win a free Ruger 57. A manager of one gun store told me to hold it and eventually the prices will come down but when you see prices for $2 per round it does not seem very hopeful.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arflattop:
I carry the Ruger 57 in a Garrett OWB holster. I wear a solid colored Hawaiian shirt in the summer, flannel in the winter, so concealment is no problem. It is large, but like the round and the capacity. When absolutely necessary I revert back to a Sig P365XL IWB.

I would like the Hawaiian shirt for concealment of a large pistol. Good idea.

Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
Both. We don't get good self defense 5.7 ammo easily and when I looked online the price of the even the not so good stuff was well above $1.50 per round. It makes no sense to practice at that price. And the round without the best stuff is ho hum. I wouldn't carry it versus other choices. But that's just me.

I am curious what do you consider to be good 5.7X28mm ammo? Are you referring to the FNSS197?

Not sure what hrcjon was referring to, but these guys make some interesting 5.7x28 stuff: Elite Ammunition

Posts: 15031 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
Both. We don't get good self defense 5.7 ammo easily and when I looked online the price of the even the not so good stuff was well above $1.50 per round. It makes no sense to practice at that price. And the round without the best stuff is ho hum. I wouldn't carry it versus other choices. But that's just me.

I am curious what do you consider to be good 5.7X28mm ammo? Are you referring to the FNSS197?

Not sure what hrcjon was referring to, but these guys make some interesting 5.7x28 stuff: Elite Ammunition

Thanks joel9507, Elite Ammo certainly has some interesting rounds for the 5.7. I was not aware of them.