SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Hogue Handall Sleeve
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Hogue Handall Sleeve Login/Join 
Member
posted
As cold weather approaches, I'm planning to use my S&W .40 Shield 2.0 for EDC, once again. It was a favorite before I discovered the P365. The Shield grip has always been too thin for my hand. Talon rubber grips were my solution in the past. I bought a Hogue Handall grip sleeve, this weekend. I've tried them on my Sig pistols (P239, for instance) in the past, but my problem is that the finger groove molded into the Handall sits too close to the trigger guard on the small Shield. Although the sleeve offers a nice palm swell (Talon tape does not), it is not a confident feel with my middle finger riding on top of the finger groove swell. I am tempted to cut or grind the thing off. Has anyone tried removing the finger groove on one these Handalls? I am hoping there is not metal, or other material under the molded rubber which prohibits such a practical alteration.
 
Posts: 304 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't the Handall Jr. be a better fit for that size weapon? It's shorter and would allow you to place the finger wherever you like within reason.
I have used one on a Walther PPS M1 for 15 years.
 
Posts: 7965 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
All the Handalls I put on were a bitch to get on the gun.


End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles
 
Posts: 17814 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
All the Handalls I put on were a bitch to get on the gun.

Agree...but once on they were a good choice.
 
Posts: 1259 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
The Handall I've purchased has a beavertail which helps with recoil. The Junior model looks like a band which is only intended to wrap around the center of the grip. Too abbreviated for me. In order to clear the magazine well my Handall needs to ride fully up against the Shield's own beavertail. There is no way to place it lower to create more finger clearance around the trigger guard. Shaving off the finger groove swell is the only option, I suspect.
 
Posts: 304 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I called Hogue CS this morning and posed my idea. It's a no-go. Under the molded rubber finger groove "swell" is a lump of nylon reinforcement. Any attempt to cut or grind away the rubber ridge would damage/expose the nylon material beneath it. It is not possible to just scrape away the rubber ridge, as I'd hoped. There are no other Handall grip sleeves with a beavertail for the Shield 2.0. It's back to the Talon grips for me.
 
Posts: 304 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
I've sacrificed a few bicycle tubes of the right size to mimic the Handall. They were a PITA to put on too but don't budge. I'm always afraid I'll rip the Handall but some plastic cut outs (shims) from the packaging helps it slide over the back and front. I suppose you can lower the sleeve on the grip to give more space between the groove and guard and remove to bottom excess?
 
Posts: 4010 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I've used bike tubes on other pistols. I'm trying to obtain the thicker, more recoil taming response that the Handall provides. With the beavertail on this sleeve, some comfort is provided to the web of the hand, also. Unfortunately, I can't slide the sleeve lower and trim around the magazine well without leaving a gap between the sleeve and the pistol's beavertails. After a longer shooting session with this small .40, the extra rubber cushioning is appreciated.
 
Posts: 304 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Would this fit your need?

https://www.amazon.com/Ideagle...91239936&sr=8-5&th=1



"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards
 
Posts: 17195 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
W-Bob: Lots of options on Amazon I'd never considered. Looks like a secure fit on the ultra slim Shield grip could be a challenge. Many products specify their sleeves are for Glocks, only, or require scissor and trimming work. Since most of these options are cheap, I might try a couple Thanks for the info.
 
Posts: 304 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Hogwash! Figuring I had no further use for the Hogue Handall beavertail sleeve I removed it from my Shield and went to work on it for about five minutes with my Dremel. Problem solved. The finger groove swell was easily ground away. There was no nylon base material encountered and the grip is perfect for my carrying purposes now that it is reinstalled. I guess I can understand why Hogue would discourage customers from modifying their products, but this is exactly the solution I desired. The finger groove is gone. If I knew how to download photos to this site I would do so.
 
Posts: 304 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of stormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Samps:
The Handall I've purchased has a beavertail which helps with recoil. The Junior model looks like a band which is only intended to wrap around the center of the grip. Too abbreviated for me. In order to clear the magazine well my Handall needs to ride fully up against the Shield's own beavertail. There is no way to place it lower to create more finger clearance around the trigger guard. Shaving off the finger groove swell is the only option, I suspect.


I use the Handall Jr on all of my G43’s and G43X’s. I actually prefer it over the dedicated Beavertail versions because I can place it exactly where I want (with regard to the finger groove). What I really like is that it provides just enough traction and palm swell without changing the overall shape and size of the grip.
 
Posts: 470 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Hogue Handall Sleeve

© SIGforum 2026