Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

357Sig Login/Join 
posted
I have a P229 in 40S&W that I am going to purchase a 357Sig barrel for. I finally got 500 rounds of Starline brass and some dies so it's time to buy a barrel. There is a LGS that handles a lot of Sig stuff that has barrels, 150 bucks, or I can order one from somewhere else. I have had experience with Barsto in the past and they have quality stuff but apparently are not drop in barrels, the Sig barrel is and cheaper. This gun is very accurate with the factory 40S&W barrel, and I certainly want to maintain that with the new barrel. So, what advice do the experienced guys have? What is the best barrel to get?

Posts: 23 | Location: st louis | Registered: April 02, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Get the SIG Barrel. It drops right in and it's the ONLY thing you need to convert your P229 to .357SIG. If you like the way it shoots in 40S&W, you're gonna LOVE the way it shoots in .357SIG! Cool

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8787 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
Yep get the factory bbl and carry on.

I have three P229’s two are factory .357 guns and one .40S&W all have extra bbls to complete the multi cal package. Also have two complete 229/9mm slides with locking blocks and one Barsto 9mm conversion bbl and 229-1 9mm mags to round out the multi caliber conversions on the 229’s.

Very simple and reliable conversions.

Posts: 18016 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Paratus
Picture of sj4550
posted Hide Post

Posts: 373 | Location: Ovilla, TX | Registered: May 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Ditto the comments on using a factory barrel.

As also already alluded to, prepare yourself: .357 SIG from the likes of a P229 is a true delight to shoot. A bit of boom-and-flash but without the accompanying recoil - if you’re shooting at an indoor range you will get some folks asking what the heck you’re having so much fun shooting there haha…

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TheFrontRange:if you’re shooting at an indoor range you will get some folks asking what the heck you’re having so much fun shooting there haha…

This happens at every firearms school we go to. Everyone's shooting and then we start and everyone stops and looks over to see what we're shooting. At one class, I started shooting from inside the car and just the amount of dust flying out the car was funny.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^In .357SIG the Trigger is a 'Giggle Switch'... Razz

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8787 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sig specifies that the front sight on a .40 is different than on the .357 and 9mm. So you may find that your point of impact is slightly off.

I find the .357 recoil is like a hot 9mm, but with .40 there is much more muzzle jump.

-c1steve

Posts: 4041 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my 229 I found the poi about the same for the .357 sig and the .40.

The recoil was different but I did not notice any more muzzle flip.

The .40 had a quicker pulse, the 357 was a longer harder pulse.

If I stood by the wall when I was shooting the .357 you could feel the pressure wave come off the wall.

The first two shots of the .357 always had everyone stop and look.

I have three barrels for the P229 and the P239

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig M11
posted Hide Post
Years ago, I got a OEM 357 Sig barrel for my workhorse P229.

Was a great up. I love the 357 Sig round, it is just so hard to find ammo for it these days.

I have a Glock 23 that is set up for it now. It doesn't eat recoil like the P229 did it is much easier to carry.

Posts: 1406 | Location: Wilmington, Delaware | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sig M11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig2392:

The first two shots of the .357 always had everyone stop and look.

Very true.

I also believe that folks that are good with that round...are serious shooters.

I remember reading about the guy who took down that church shooter a few years ago. I got to the part where they said he was carrying a Sig Sauer P229 in 357 Sig and was like...

Done. I don't need to read any more of this story. Big Grin

Posts: 1406 | Location: Wilmington, Delaware | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Own a pair of non rail 229s, and will not part with my 357 sig variant that also has the 40 barrel. As others have said the 229 is made for 357sig.

Posts: 1621 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get the Sig barrel, and shoot through the 40sw pipe at the range when you absolutely must save on ammo costs.

As has been observed countless times on this forum and elsewhere, the 229 was designed around that cartridge, and it really is wonderful. Also, it's awesome in the 226 as well.

Both of these are 40s with Sig 357 barrels.

Happiness is a warm gun.

Posts: 444 | Location: Shenandoah Valley | Registered: February 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just offering an option.
https://efkfiredragon.com/prod...hp?prod=SS229357SBBK
Barrel maker has been in the game a long time. I've got a pair 9mm conversion barrels for my Beretta Vertec, one is a 4.6" 357Sig and the other is a ported 9mm. Love the fit, finish and performance of both.
Always good to have options.
LaMont in AZ

Posts: 41 | Location: Apache Junction, AZ | Registered: November 08, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
It makes me sad even seeing the caliber. In 2019 there was a store selling LE trade in Speer lawman for 13.00 a box and I bought 1 case. It should have been 10 cases. Now it is 50 bucks a box and you cant even find it at that Frown

Posts: 7791 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of my ammo cans from Georgia Arms .357sig was marked $85.

Not sure how many rounds came in it or when I bought it.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I know the sights are NOT going to work to give the same POI. I just aim LOW when I use a 357 Sig pistol with a 40 S&W barrel. You may need to aim high.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin101:
It makes me sad even seeing the caliber. In 2019 there was a store selling LE trade in Speer lawman for 13.00 a box and I bought 1 case. It should have been 10 cases. Now it is 50 bucks a box and you cant even find it at that Frown

I had 3 pistols in that caliber some years back. Not reloading for it, it became quite the chore looking for ammo, just for my plinking.

Forget buying by the case. I sold them, not long ago was in a store, and picked up a box of FMJ off brand 357 Sig,with no price label.

When I went to checkout, the ammo rang up $69 / for 50 rounds. Robbery. Of course I didn't buy.

But I do have a conversion barrel for my Glockfor the ammo I already gave.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig M11:
I remember reading about the guy who took down that church shooter a few years ago. I got to the part where they said he was carrying a Sig Sauer P229 in 357 Sig and was like...

Done. I don't need to read any more of this story. Big Grin

That was Jack Wilson. He used a P229 Legion DA/SA loaded w/ 135gr Hornady Critical Duty 357SIG. One round into the head from about 15 yds took out the active shooter.

Remembering the West Freeway Church of Christ Shooting

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go with factory barrel, simple drop in and less expensive than Barsto. I have used both.

Jeeps...guns...German Shepherds!

Posts: 81 | Registered: September 29, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post