SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Beretta 85FS Cheetah with typo on slide
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Beretta 85FS Cheetah with typo on slide Login/Join 
Smarter than the
average bear
posted
I recently became aware of this Beretta with an apparent typo on the slide, as it says "DOES NOT FIRES WITHOUT MAGAZINE" instead of "DOES NOT FIRE..." In searching I've found exactly one reference to this on another forum, with no meaningful response. Has anyone else seen this? Have any idea how this happened?

Posts: 3425 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Typos aside, it's obscene what Beretta did to these beautiful pistols, with all that lawyer-driven horse shit stamped on it.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
The engraver was eating a Milky Way.

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The engraver was Squirrelly Dan?

Posts: 102 | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Could be the angle, but the engraving on "does not" looks a little different from the rest. Could the plan at one time have been to stamp those pistols without a magazine safety with "fires without magazine" and simply add "does not" and subtract the "s" in "fires" to pistols with magazine safeties?

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Typos aside, it's obscene what Beretta did to these beautiful pistols, with all that lawyer-driven horse shit stamped on it.

Agreed. It was what kept me from buying a nickel one several years ago. I opted for the black instead but definitely would have gone nickel had it not been for the engraving.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Could be the angle, but the engraving on "does not" looks a little different from the rest. Could the plan at one time have been to stamp those pistols without a magazine safety with "fires without magazine" and simply add "does not" and subtract the "s" in "fires" to pistols with magazine safeties?

I was thinking something similar. My nephew bought this gun, and he says that the entire line looks a little deeper than the line above it, as in “DOES NOT” does NOT appear darker than the rest of that line in person. I think some of it has to be deeper, but it’s mostly the lighting. For example “READ” looks darker in the line “READ MANUAL BEFORE USE”. And there’s certainly no reason that “READ” would have been added later.

And I certainly agree that it would look better without all the extra verbiage, but I still think it’s a beautiful gun.

Posts: 3425 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It sounds correct if you read it in a cheesy Italian accent. Big Grin

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8322 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
I was finally able to reach Beretta customer service, and was told that they have heard reports from time to time about typos on roll marks, and while not common, they are not exceedingly rare. From the serial number he told me that this pistol came from one of the last batches made, sometime in 2017.

posted Hide Post
I have a 84 says the same thing! Drop the mag clear chamber (point in a safe direction) and pull the trigger. Mine is a sloppy mess without a mag.

Posts: 632 | Location: Cajun Country, Sportsman Paradise  | Registered: March 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
PICS !!!

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8637 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
It sounds correct if you read it in a cheesy Italian accent. Big Grin

Ok, I laughed. :Big Grin

As to how it happened? Simple mistake by someone not paying attention is my best guess.

I’m also not a fan of warning labels on guns. I have a Ruger New Vaquero with similar warnings about reading the manual and whatnot, but they put the rollmark on the underside of the barrel, where it isn’t really noticeable.

Posts: 17061 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Those markings are not engraved one at a time by hand by someone who might not pay attention.
You would have to assume the guy grinding the roll stamps was not paying attention and there would be a lot of guns marked the same.

Smith and Wesson turned out a bunch of revolvers erroneously marked 1950 instead of 1955.

Posts: 3278 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^ That actually makes me feel better (oddly enough) - one mistake versus a series of mistakes.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post