SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    In your experience which 1911 .22 upper is best?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

In your experience which 1911 .22 upper is best? Login/Join 
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted
Title says it all. My brother has a WW2 Remington Rand 1911 and I want to get him a good .22 upper for it. By good I mean "goes bang 99.99% of the time in my actual shooting experience (or something similar but ammo sensitive)", not an upper capable of making one hole at 50 yards and not a Ruger Mark 4 22/45 because that is so much better.

What says the Forum? Please and thank you for your time.

:-)

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1957 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Advantage Arms in my experience. Very reliable, inexpensive mags, slide locks open when empty. If you use the recommended ammo it's nearly 100% IME.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3212 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
you want a marvel. but I've no serious issues with my Kimber, AA or tacsol with ammunition they like.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know about "best", but the Marvel unit I had was accurate and reliable.

Posts: 937 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
I have a Cierner made Kimber 22 conversion that runs like a clock.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Nelson - based on Marvel design - shoots very well.

Posts: 3288 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've owned two Ciener .22 conversions for my 1911's over the years. No bobbles, reasonable price.

Friend had one also. Ciener's been around for decades.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've used Marvel and Nelson. Nelson is my preference.

Ignem Feram

Posts: 528 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mlazarus:
Nelson is my preference.

Another vote for Nelson. For a little extra $, they custom-milled the upper to mount my Burris Fastfire 2 red dot sight.

Posts: 842 | Registered: December 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Cierner closed pre Covid. 40 year run--then retired.

Posts: 2304 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
My Marvel runs great and is accurate enough, that I used to use it in bullseye competitions. It was supposed to lock the slide back after the last round was fired, but that feature was never reliable for me.

Posts: 13681 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of usp_fan
posted Hide Post
A friend has a Colt conversion kit with the floating chamber. It is awesome until the chamber freezes due to lead build up. Then it’s not awesome. I love that it’s original, but it’s a lot of work to keep running.

Posts: 2504 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: March 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^ Yeah, I owned one several decades ago. Got rid of it for that reason. My understanding was that the leading issues were near random. Some had it, some didn't. Mine had it.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
My conversion unit runs great. I wouldn’t pick it however due to expensive and fiddly magazines.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3212 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Remington Rand--leave it as is--lot of value in that pistol. Leave it as is.

Posts: 2304 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
TANSTAAFL
posted Hide Post
I liked my tacsol better than the kimber I had. But I don’t think tacsol does .22 conversions for 1911’s anymore.

Posts: 715 | Location: Baltimore til I can get out of there. | Registered: June 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I have three Marvels, but it sounds like an Advantage Arms would would suit you for about $200 less.

Posts: 7076 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
I have three Marvels, but it sounds like an Advantage Arms would would suit you for about $200 less.

Thanks. This was in my head because all he needs is a cheap plinker he can use.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Posts: 1957 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:
Remington Rand--leave it as is--lot of value in that pistol. Leave it as is.

It's not in original shape, my father "bullseyed" it back in the day putting a new front sight and bomar sights on the end. Plus the thought was to use the upper to not mess it up any more. The upper just comes off and on like the "original (see above)" slide without the PITA of getting a new gun in CA.

Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone, I think Advantage is the way to go. Appreciate this!