SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P-220 archive project
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P-220 archive project Login/Join 
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted
Not to derail the other thread I posted in.

As you may have guessed, I am a long time fan of the P-220.

Before I started using a computer, I saved articles from gun magazines, that pertained to the P-220.

After the computer came along, for me, it was the late 90's/early 2000's, there was no need for me to save articles any longer, as most were available on-line.

I dug out my binder of P-220 articles, dating from 1977 to 2001. These are are all black and white copies of the magazine articles, as color copies were very expensive at the time. I even have a floppy disc that I believe I may have copied the article to.

I also have many Sig catalogs from the 90's.

I also have a very old copy of the blue prints for Pistole P 220, that I bought off of Ebay, dated 17.7.73 and another dated 17.11.71. I don't believe these are complete, but something I saw on Ebay and thought it would be cool to have.

I do not personally have the time to devote to a P-220 archive project, but will be happy to share what I have if someone does have the time.

I think I may also have a complete set of SIGARMS Quarterly and Velocity.

Anyone up for a project?

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
P-220, I'm sorry that I don't have the time to put into a project like this due to academy scheduling, but please let me be the first to offer verbal support for this project if someone has the time to engage in it! This needs to happen!

I've read and re-read 12131's exceptional P228 Factoids thread probably a dozen times. It is superb. As a long-time P220 owner, I would love to see a variation of this done for the best .45 pistol in the world!

Posts: 1087 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mech
posted Hide Post
I do have a scanner at home, would be happy to help scan some of these and make them into PDF Smile (I presume you were talking about converting them into digital format, yes?)

Posts: 1160 | Location: SW Washington, Support Sporting Systems! | Registered: March 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Sounds like fun.

While I don't have the knowledge of many members here, this should make for an interesting endeavor.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcs1564
posted Hide Post
Steve,
I recently got rid of my scanner, but, quite interested in seeing this come to fruition. Are there any places in your area that offer document scanning? If so, I’ll contribute to having it done and will compile everything into a single file.

Drop me a line if this is of interest.

Mike

------------
SP2022 - 9mm

Posts: 1260 | Location: CT | Registered: January 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Udo
posted Hide Post
I'll start things off with a published tidbit.
The first 34 p220's were retained at the factory except for one pistol. No resource records which one of the thirty four left.

Posts: 1762 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: January 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
Steve, where are you located? This is something that two people can crank out in a weekend.

Posts: 5326 | Location: The Virginia side of DC | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Thank you to all who have responded to this thread.

I am thrilled it is not just me who is interested in this.

I will need to assemble everything I have regarding the P-220 and separate it from all of the other Sig material, ie… pics, articles and ads from Sigarms Quarterly, Velocity, catalogs, gun rags and even Wikepedia.

I even found flash cards that Sig released at one time. I believe these were produced for a very short period of time. I happened to find some on e-bay a long time ago.

Once I have all of the exclusive P-220 information segregated, it should make this process a little more efficient.

I am in Cincinnati and if I just shut the door and focused on it, I am pretty confident I could knock it out in a day or two.

There is a lot that has happened with the P-220 since 2001, ie. P-220ST, Elite, Stainless Elite, Langdon, Combat, Carry, Compact, Scorpion, Legion and so many more.

I do have one of the early P-220ST/Nitrons. At one time there was a member who provided a great report about this model. These were an early T & E model for some Law Enforcement Agency. I will have to see if I have saved that report, which was quite extensive.

I even found a magazine article on the prototype Sig P-221 (a double stack P-220), I guess it could be considered the forerunner to the P-227.

If I spend 15 minutes a day for the next week or two, I hope to be able to assemble what I have in some sort of order, which will make this project a little easier to make some sense of.

A project like this would have sure been easy, when the P-220 took a single page in the Sig Sauer catalog. You could have your P-220 in blue or electroless nickel. N/S were not available and the wood grips could be found in the accessories page.

Perhaps that is the beauty of the P-220. Sig has seen that in order to stay relevant, there would have to be an evolution, an evolution I hope to fully document.

Please feel free to add any information you may have here.

Thanks again for the interest.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I cant wait to see what this becomes. You are dedicated by golly with 24 years of information on the pistol. Bring it P220.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post