SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    M1911 vs M9 Beretta: The battle of the best combat pistol
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

M1911 vs M9 Beretta: The battle of the best combat pistol Login/Join 
posted
M1911 vs M9 Beretta: The battle of the best combat pistol

Which hip blaster reigns supreme?

BY JOSHUA SKOVLUND | PUBLISHED JAN 22, 2024 9:42 PM EST

Two combat pistols ruled in different eras, though some units continued using their favorite. The M1911 is the OG pistol that’s been used in combat from 1911 well into the 2020s. The Beretta M9 pistol was introduced to the ranks as a replacement for the M1911 starting in 1985.

It wasn’t until recently that both pistols were removed from service and replaced with the more modern Sig Sauer M17, M18, and MK25 pistols. Though they have been phased out, the pistols have remained a favorite for soldiers and gun enthusiasts alike. But which one is actually the best?

Kyle Lamb has extensive experience with both pistols but argues they have served their purpose in combat tenfold. But when pressed on what he would take into combat, his answer may surprise you.

Fresh out of the box, with no alterations, Lamb thinks the M9 is better than the M1911. Lamb explained how a rack-grade 1911 will rattle if you shake it because of manufacturing missteps, whereas the M9 is a solid-built pistol, but a rack-grade trigger leaves a lot to be desired. The trigger issue doesn’t outweigh the inaccuracy of the rack-grade 1911, though...

Complete article:

https://taskandpurpose.com/mil...-best-combat-pistol/

Posts: 15909 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Can't say I don't disagree.
I would take the Beretta any day.

Posts: 22933 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Holy 1986!

DPR

Posts: 657 | Registered: March 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
I’d also agree. While the M1911 had its day and purpose, the M9 would be my choice today.

Posts: 18046 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
I dig both and would happily take a 1911 as a sidearm if that was what was available. The Beretta M9 on the other hand I would take over the 1911 and I would happily carry it today.

Posts: 3158 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
Which hip blaster reigns supreme?

Apparently, the P320.

“They’re all great weapons, but the gun that the military is shooting right now — the M17 and M18 — are superior weapons systems to the 1911 and to the M9,” Lamb said. “There’s no doubt about it.”

Posts: 32538 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back in '81, some shipmates and I were sent to the range to qual with the 1911A1. The rangemaster handed me one made by Union Switch and Signal..and it was very accurate. No rattles.

Both have a special place in my heart.

Posts: 3226 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did tours in Iraq and Afghanistan with the M9. I actually shoot it better than a rack grade M1911A1. I had complete confidence in the gun and my ability to use it. Thankfully it never came to that

Posts: 3298 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I like the 1911 platform and carry one from time to time. I’ve also performed well with the M9 and even better with LTT & WC variants.

Posts: 13818 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
Ok, lets look at this from another angle, instead of comparing worn, well used 1911's to new Beretta M9s, how bout we compare a new production 1911 (lets say a Springfield Armory MilSpec .45acp) to a new production Beretta M9. Then for another curve both with ball ammo.

I'm taking the 1911 all day.

Change it to quality HP ammo, I'd probably go Beretta

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4523 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
The 1911 lends itself to smaller hands more than the Beretta does.
And, a new 1911 won't 'rattle' like a worn-out one kept in service too long.

I have multiple specimens of both; while the Beretta offers an advantage in capacity, I prefer the 1911.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16528 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I've shot them both. I carried an M-9 on duty.

I'd take an M-9 any day of the week, and twice on Sunday.

Fun fact: In three years of M-9 quals, I shot 100% every single time. That gun just works for me.

Other fun fact: I own three 1911s, don't own a single M-9. That thing is simply incapable of being carried outside of a duty holster. It's a brick.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12794 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
My first gun, which I CCWed regularly, was a full-size 92FS. It can be done...but I stopped doing it the minute I got a different gun, lol.

I like 1911s, I like the M9/92FS, and I like the P320/M117. IMO the military has definitely progressed forward over the years in their choice of sidearm. I'd rather carry an M17 than an M9 as a duty gun, and I'd take an M9 over any mil-spec 1911. They were all good choices for their particular era, but it's also good to see them moving forward with tech advances.

Edited to correct typo

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 92fstech,

Posts: 8614 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yea ok. just go look at the trials for the 1911 replacement that lead to the M9 adoption and the numbers speak for themselves. on every single test and category.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11010 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
I like 1911s, I like the M9/92FS, and I like the P320/M11. IMO the military has definitely progressed forward over the years in their choice of sidearm. I'd rather carry an M11 than an M9 as a duty gun, and I'd take an M9 over any mil-spec 1911.

The P320 is the M17 (full sized) and M18 (carry).

The M11 is the designation for the P228, which was adopted and used in small numbers by the US military, primarily by criminal investigators and pilots.

Posts: 32538 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ranger41
posted Hide Post
Had both the 1911 and the M9. Still have the 1911 (many). The 1911 is the first centerfire pistol I ever shot. It was 1961 and I was among 1100 or so trying to qualify with the 1911. Not only did I qualify, I had the third highest score. For some reason the 1911 in A1 configuration fits my hand like no other pistol and I shoot it better than any other. I'm not making the argument that the 1911 is superior to the M9, but that I am more accurate with it.

I love accurate pistols and rack grade 1911s are often not particularly accurate. So my 1911s are Wilson Combat plus a wadcutter pistol built by a Navy armorer who built for the Navy Pistol Team and a hardball pistol built by a Marine armorer who built for the Marine Corps Pistol Team. With any of them I can outshoot my Swiss/German made P210s, which are the most accurate factory pistols I've come across.

Was the move to the M9 the right choice? Probably, but if I had to carry a pistol into combat it would be one of my 1911s.

"The world is too dangerous to live in-not because of the people who do evil, but because of the people who sit and let it happen." (Albert Einstein)

Posts: 957 | Location: Rural Virginia - USA | Registered: May 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
I like 1911s, I like the M9/92FS, and I like the P320/M11. IMO the military has definitely progressed forward over the years in their choice of sidearm. I'd rather carry an M11 than an M9 as a duty gun, and I'd take an M9 over any mil-spec 1911.

The P320 is the M17 (full sized) and M18 (carry).

The M11 is the designation for the P228, which was adopted and used in small numbers by the US military, primarily by criminal investigators and pilots.

I'm very aware...not sure where that came from. I'd like to blame my stupid tablet keyboard, but it may have just as easily been my stupid self. Edited to correct. Thanks for catching that.

Posts: 8614 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth, I did a range experiment with an assortment of pistols. Took them all out and placed them side by side on a table, with targets set up at 25 yards. Goal was to shoot each pistol in turn, then repeat. Same day, same conditions, same range, only difference was me.

I was most accurate with a Ruger MK III .22 pistol.
Second most accurate with my Sig p226.
Third most accurate was my Beretta 92.
Forth most accurate was Metro Arms American Classic II 1911 clone in .45.
Fith (surprising) was a Colt Gold Cup Series 70 MK IV National Match in .45.
Sixth was a Smith Model 10 revolver, .38.

I had thought I'd be most accurate with the 1911's since I've been shooting them since the 70's, or the Beretta since I carried one when in the Army and have shot thousands of rounds thru it.

The Sig is now my favorite pistol, simply because I shoot more accurately with it.

Phu Bai, Vietnam, 68-69
Baghdad, Iraq, 04-05

Posts: 16 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: April 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I'd take a P226 or CZ 75B over either.
45acp may be a better round than 9mm but I'd take a 17+1 9mm over a 7+1 45 any day. (Except if it a P320 blech!)

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
Make mine a 9.

Extra capacity with less recoil makes for better hit %, and the difference in energy isn't enough to warrant the 45.

Just my humble opinion.

I would take a M9, G17, Sig 226 or CZ 75 over the 1911.

I have a 2011 I use for 3 gun and USPSA, but it is too heavy for an actual service pistol.

If you haven't seen one, check out the Stealth Arms Platypus. I got to shoot one a few weeks ago and they are excellent.

Posts: 14124 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post