New
Find
Notify
Tools

Steyr GB Login/Join 
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted
I have a friend wanting to swap one for a GP100. The GP100 is like new in the box. The Steyer is shooter grade and comes with one magazine.

Anybody have any experience with the Steyr? It’s an interesting design, but kind of big and heavy.

Posts: 27180 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my opinion a pistol that was without question ahead of its time when it was introduced 1982.

Fixed barrel, SUPER ACCURATE, SA/DA and utilized an 18 round mag (magazines super expensive now - in the $150 - $200 range a piece). I have owned three over the years, and like an idiot, sold all three.

They also came in two different finishes on the lowers, slick and textured. I think there are several forum members that own this pistol today. I just cannot remember who.

If you get it please post pictures.

Posts: 3346 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
The GP100 is a "practical gun" so to speak. Easily replaceable, no additional parts/mags to run down, ubiquitous really.

The GB, assuming its in good shape is a helluva a cool gun but not really as "practical"

So it comes down to whether or not you want want utilitarian or wicked cool. Personally I think I'd go with wicked cool and buy another GP100 any day of the week and twice on Sunday. I mean hell you could do that basically in any state of the Union no muss no fuss.

Keep in mind when I say practical, ANY functioning firearm this side of the 19th century can be perfectly practical and useable. I just mean practical in terms of would you WANT to use it on the regular or as a carry gun or home defense gun etc. etc. Also like was said, if you want additional magazines you will hunt and pay for them.

Like above, I'd love pictures if you make the trade.

Take care, shoot safe,
Chris

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7889 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
If you are the type who likes to collect and occasionally (remember it is also obsolete, so no parts if you break any) shoot unusual guns, why not? Back when I could afford to, I did.

Posts: 28685 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a friend years ago that carried a Steyr GB as a duty/carry gun. It was an amazing gun and very accurate. Eventually he was told he could no longer carry it for duty and got an issued Beretta instead. In retrospect, it was better for him and the Steyr, so it wouldn't destroy the finish.

Value wise, you would be making out quite a bit. Not sure if I would shoot it, as they are more so a collector gun to me but are pretty rugged.

Posts: 7072 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't shot mine in quite some time but the only issue I can recall is that the double action trigger pull is pretty awful. The incredible accuracy more that makes up for that IMO.

Posts: 83 | Registered: September 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Before you jump, try to locate and price magazines for the GB. And prepare for sticker shock.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16391 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I love my GP100, but that Steyr is cool enough that I'd be tempted to let it go just for the chance to own and play with one. I've never had (or even shot) a gas-delayed handgun before.

Posts: 9243 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shoot gun,
get check
Picture of Scoobaru
posted Hide Post
I've always wanted a Steyr GB. I'd be tempted to do the trade.

Posts: 634 | Location: The pointy part of Nevada | Registered: March 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
You could swap the GP100 for the Steyr GB, turn around and sell it and get enough $$ to buy 3 more GP100s. The steyr GB's are collector items now.

Posts: 10846 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Paul Harrell likes his GB if that makes any difference to you. They are cool pistols.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3295 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for your input. I’m not sure I want to do the trade but will try to get a couple of pictures. As I said, the GB isn’t a collector grade pistol-it has some fine pitting in places from poor storage.

Posts: 27180 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
For those curious people who asked for pictures:

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
A face only a mother could love... Big Grin

Posts: 33101 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
A face only a mother could love... Big Grin

I used to sort of agree but in today’s world where EVERYTHING is a polymer framed, striker fired, 9mm that looks the same as the next one, I have to say I’ve grown to miss guns with “personality”

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7889 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
It does have the interesting distinction of being one of the very few commercially produced pistols that used a double stack double feed magazine. Common in rifles, but rarely seen in handguns.

It also uses a gas delayed blowback action, which is nearly as uncommon in pistols.

Posts: 33101 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That appears to be in really good condition.

Posts: 7072 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had the Styer rep show up at our dept. a lot of Officers were still carrying revolvers. And, 1911’s. He sold quite a few. And most Officers that carried them, didn’t even bother with an extra mag. “Hell, it Carry’s more rounds that my revolver and two speedloaders!”

As I recall, they were pretty reasonable. Ran well.

I stuck with a 1911.

Posts: 892 | Location: High desert. Nevada | Registered: April 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RB211
posted Hide Post
If you do end up getting it, shoot jacketed bullets only. It is a gas powered pistol, lead will clog the piston and lock the gun up. A friend of mine learned that lesson the hard way...

Posts: 2058 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I had the opportunity, I'd grab a GB in a heart beat. Tough to find in my AO.

Ignem Feram

Posts: 544 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post