SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Am I crazy for wanting a Staccato P?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Am I crazy for wanting a Staccato P? Login/Join 
posted
So I have a number of handguns that every time a buy a new one it becomes my new bedside/home defense gun. Over the years I always wanted a 1911 In my collection shot them a lot with my dad as a kid loved the trigger hated the capacity. Was looking at SA TRP or higher, Wilson or Nighthawk are over the budget I want to spend.

The Staccato seems to fit the bill in everything I could want and need in the ultimate go to gun. Single action 1911 trigger, 9mm my round of choice, rail for my surefire turbo, high capacity, full size, excellent fit and finish, and optics ready. Want to get into red dot game.

Where I live will have to pay a premium to get one, money is not a issue but still expensive. When I buy something I tend to go all out.

My current nightstand gun is a Glock 19 simply works night sights, extended mag and slide release.

Trigger is fine but the slowest and least favourite of the collection.

Will be used to have fun at the range and go to gun when at home.

For those of you who own or shot one, would you use and keep it if money wasn't going to a problem? Or am I looking at a over priced toy?

Posts: 968 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I have the 2019 version of the P (4.15"). Grip is kind of fat for me but I make it work. I have the C2 as well.

Their new CS has a slimmer grip.
But I'm probably going to buy the C2 Duo for Christmas so I can mount an optic on it. I could just get my current C2 slide milled but why not just get a spare gun. It is Christmas.

or a new P Duo since it's got a longer slide?

decisions, decisions. lol

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8025 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Never crazy to want a firearm. Now, go buy.

Q

Posts: 26441 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Life is short. It’s shorter with the wrong gun. Be happy Smile

Posts: 13818 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Not crazy, but if a TRP is too expensive then the Staccato is way out of budget. As long as you don't get one of the comp models that requires more maintenance than I want to deal with, they'll all shoot lights out. If you're wanting to add CCW then the C2 will do the job as well with the P being a little big. You can also get the grip stippled and reduced if they're too big.

A big suggestion is if you're ordering anyway, get the Tac Grip. It's a little smaller and has more traction than the normal Gen 2 grip.

Posts: 4204 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Just one?

Yeah, that is crazy! Wink

Posts: 9166 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Loved the Staccato P we had as a rental at a vendor event earlier this year. Probably put a couple hundred rounds through it.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15364 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I have a Staccato P, steel frame model, and it is one of my favorite pistols. Yes, it checks off all of the boxes you have listed, and it has replaced my G17 as my home defense handgun, it sports an OEM 20 rd mag.

quote:
Originally posted by dfens:
Where I live will have to pay a premium to get one, money is not a issue but still expensive. When I buy something I tend to go all out.

IF you live in CA, the P can go for $4k, and IMO, just not worth that 100% increase in price. At 2 grand retail, yes, it is worth it IMO. But not at off-roster pricing, if you're in CA.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16719 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's not for me, but if you want it, go for it. I have lots of crazy guns other people don't understand me wanting.

Posts: 17147 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
I had an aluminum-framed P and just sold it. Even with the lightweight frame compared to the steel it was just too bulky and heavy compared to the 1911's or Glocks I'm used to. It also seemed less refined than my Wilson CQB which is similarly priced.

I think if I were going to chase the 2011 urge again it would have to be a Wilson EDC X9, but honestly, I shoot my slightly modified Glock 19 just as well.

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4202 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got a Staccato P, C2, XC, and an older STI. Love the 2011 platform. The current Staccato guns are really well made and I recommend them.

Posts: 5165 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chino101
posted Hide Post
If you can buy one without compromising your finances, then it is not crazy at all. I have a C2, with the threaded barrel, and Leupold Delta Point. The aid of the red dot combined with its mechanical build quality makes this gun an absolute tack driver.

The selling points of the C2 are:
-1911 style trigger and safety
-double stack mags (these are pricey)
-about 25 oz. unloaded vs. a 38 oz. steel 1911
-Red dot mount
-light mount
-factory threaded barrel

If you do buy a Staccato, I suggest keeping the Glock handy until it proves to be just as reliable.

Posts: 510 | Location: Maryland | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
I have seriously been considering selling a few of my Glocks for a C2 Duo.

Posts: 3447 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes……

But then I have a number of guns other people consider crazy and I like them.

It’s a free world (for now) you be you

Posts: 276 | Location: Pa | Registered: September 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chino101:
If you do buy a Staccato, I suggest keeping the Glock handy until it proves to be just as reliable.

Speaking of which, while Staccatos are awesome, they will run dirty, but they won't run dry. Use a good oil like Wilson Ultima Lube oil or another synthetic oil. DO NOT USE GREASE! The slide to frame fit is tight enough that in colder temperatures that it can affect slide travel. My Staccato also came with a quick guide of where to touch up spots without taking the gun apart.

Posts: 4204 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
quote:
Originally posted by chino101:

Speaking of which, while Staccatos are awesome, they will run dirty, but they won't run dry. Use a good oil like Wilson Ultima Lube oil or another synthetic oil. DO NOT USE GREASE! The slide to frame fit is tight enough that in colder temperatures that it can affect slide travel. My Staccato also came with a quick guide of where to touch up spots without taking the gun apart.

I agree with this. I ran my XC past 5k without cleaning. Just added oil every 750 rounds or so.

Posts: 5165 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Life is too short not to have a pretty gun. I own three Staccato's: XL, P and C2. All Duo's. The XL is my favorite to shoot.

Posts: 1454 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UCPOPO
posted Hide Post
I’ve owned 4 different Staccatos. While I find them nice, they just don’t wow me like they do others. I still prefer my favorite Glock 34 and my Zevs. I’m thinking I’m just not a 2011 guy after training and carry Glocks for 25+ years for work.

Posts: 655 | Location: OKLAHOMA | Registered: February 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of D4Heavy
posted Hide Post
I have 2 of them. the STI costa comp and dvc limited. It’s all I shoot now at the range. I cc my P365. I have shot my costa comp so much that the finish around the comp is coming off. STI will fix it. Just need to send the slide in.

If you ever shoot a 2011 you will not be disappointed. They are so smooth and in 9mm the recoil is non existent. 21 round mags shooting as fast as you want. Very easy to keep on target.

I have been looking at the Staccato P. I will evenly pull the trigger on one Big Grin

Posts: 398 | Location: Alabama | Registered: December 23, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
My Staccato R is unquestionably my finest-shooting handgun, bar none.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post