SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Light on Legion X5?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Light on Legion X5? Login/Join 
posted
Is this a huge no-no? I know the X5 legion is really more of a competition pistol.

Posts: 41 | Registered: May 18, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
It's your gun. Why is it a no-no?

Q

Posts: 26514 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
Well, there are about eight guys carrying them on-duty at my police department with and optic and a light attached, so I'm not sure what would be a "no-no" about it. I would have no interest in carrying one just due to weight.

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4204 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sig makes a point with their TXG frame of stipulating that it's not for duty or carry use; the theory (aside from the liability) is that the frame could crack or split. I don't know anyone that's had such a problem with the TXG frame, and I own several and haven't had issues of any knid with them (and wouldn't hesitate to carry them).

A light on the frame, however, does place an additional load on the dust cover which may or may not contribute to failure of that part. I probably wouldn't. Anyone who has seen high speed film of a flexible glock frame moving around with a light on the front can visualize the stresses.

The TXG frame is weighted to enhance handling when shooting fast; more weight, lower recoil, yada, yada. For a competitor who carries the pistol through 15 seconds of a state, that's one thing. For someone who carries the pistol on duty, a few extra ounces is more back pain at the end of the day; lighter may be better.

If guys are carrying the pistol with lights and not having issues, the question is how much they're shooting them like that. If they're dumping twenty thousand rounds and having zero issues, then it speaks for itself. If they're putting 50 ruonds downrange to quality every few months, then that doesn't mean a lot.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
Sig makes a point with their TXG frame of stipulating that it's not for duty or carry use; the theory (aside from the liability) is that the frame could crack or split. I don't know anyone that's had such a problem with the TXG frame, and I own several and haven't had issues of any knid with them (and wouldn't hesitate to carry them).

A light on the frame, however, does place an additional load on the dust cover which may or may not contribute to failure of that part. I probably wouldn't. Anyone who has seen high speed film of a flexible glock frame moving around with a light on the front can visualize the stresses.

The TXG frame is weighted to enhance handling when shooting fast; more weight, lower recoil, yada, yada. For a competitor who carries the pistol through 15 seconds of a state, that's one thing. For someone who carries the pistol on duty, a few extra ounces is more back pain at the end of the day; lighter may be better.

If guys are carrying the pistol with lights and not having issues, the question is how much they're shooting them like that. If they're dumping twenty thousand rounds and having zero issues, then it speaks for itself. If they're putting 50 ruonds downrange to quality every few months, then that doesn't mean a lot.

Thats what I kinda meant, I don't think Sig had carry/duty in mind. For me, I wanted to use it as a nightstand/range gun, but I like lights on pistols for obvious reasons for a nightstand pistol

Posts: 41 | Registered: May 18, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know the X5 legion is really more of a competition pistol.

Believe it or not a gun can have many purposes so why not add a light of your choice?

Posts: 22952 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wanted to use it as a nightstand/range gun

Put a light on it and don't worry about it. Big Grin

Posts: 12544 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dgrdvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gman010:
Is this a huge no-no? I know the X5 legion is really more of a competition pistol.

USPSA just changed some rules for the Carry Optics division, where many people shoot this gun, to allow flashlights. Along with an increase in the weight limits, many top shooters are experimenting with adding a light/frame weight to their competition X5. So there will be options, and if you want to, go for it.

Laser still gets you bumped to open, though

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are stupider than that'
George Carlin

Posts: 504 | Location: St Louis | Registered: June 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Definitely throw a light on it. I wouldn't skimp either. Surefire X300.

Posts: 493 | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Benderx4
posted Hide Post
Surefire 300! Excllent light for an excellent gun!

Posts: 490 | Location: NE FL, JAX | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post