SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    You will buy a Glock
Page 1 ... 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 ... 564
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You will buy a Glock Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by CRStout:
Glock frame and magazine failures are not uncommon...
Sorry, but I simply do not believe that.

Don't buy a Glock. Really. Just don't do it. OK, all better now.

Parabellum, If my original replies (in need of approval, including links) to this post which questioned my suggestion of the eventual failure were available to be seen, I believe there is overwhelming evidence supporting my opinion, at far less than 40 years as I had originally suggested.

I sincerely enjoy this forum for it's offering of open discussion, not disallowing general perception nor factual presentation.

I mean no offense to you or this forum, but I do not see a Glock making it into the hands of your great grandson as an heirloom piece in the same way as would, say, for example, an 1890 Colt revolver. It will most certainly be be a shelf piece if anything, and inoperable in that amount of time.

Dislike me for not having an affinity for Glock pistols if you like, but I have what I consider to be solid reasons to not ever buy one for myself.

Isn't this the Sig Forum? I'm a Sig fan... that's why I signed up Smile

Posts: 3314 | Location: Surf City, USA | Registered: April 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Road goes on forever
and the Party never ends
Picture of Dyingtime
posted Hide Post
Bought another Glock 27. Its one of the best carrying pistols out there. Hard to beat a glock and yes I have Sigs. Nothing will replace the P6's or 226's.

But Glock makes one hell of a pistol

" The Road goes on forever and the Party never ends"

Posts: 3301 | Location: Blairsville Georgia | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
What impediments have you encountered in this forum that have prevented you from discussing SIG firearms? What or who keeps you from starting your own thread on the subject?

Did you think participation in this thread to be mandatory?

Posts: 108183 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dyingtime:
Bought another Glock 27. Its one of the best carrying pistols out there. Hard to beat a glock and yes I have Sigs. Nothing will replace the P6's or 226's.

Didn't I say in my original post that I admire many things about Glock?

They have some GREAT engineering and much ingenuity...

My ONLY draeback on Glock is that they make their pistols from materials which do not give me confidence...

Glock, build a pistol which has (not even all steel, but) and all metal frame, and we could do business! Smile

Posts: 3314 | Location: Surf City, USA | Registered: April 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vsp39o2
posted Hide Post
Until mine fails, Ima shoot the ever-loving shit out of it.

I'll let y'all know how it turns out...

Posts: 1814 | Location: greater metro Tar Bay | Registered: March 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess the score is finally settled Sig 1 Glock 1. For Glock you can shoot upward of 600,000 rounds to Sig 50,000 rounds. Who would want to spend $60,000+ on ammo only to see his $600 sig fail. But Sigs don't melt in space and vacume so it evens out. I still have to see these arguments made by anyone who shoots more than 500 rounds a year or an astronaut. I love Sigs but to me Glocks make sense a lot of sense.
5 million Glocks sold must count for something.

Posts: 212 | Location: Arizona | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
What impediments have you encountered in this forum that have prevented you from discussing SIG firearms? What or who keeps you from starting your own thread on the subject?

Did you think participation in this thread to be mandatory?

Parabellum, if you care to check, I participate regularly in discussions regarding Sig firearms, and have started a few threads regarding them... most recently I started a thread which questioned my "Friends of Sig" shipment of a P226 Navy this week (fogive me, it's now a P226R-9-NSWG, new part number) and why it had no anchor engraving on the left of the slide. I spoke with Val in the sales dept today and she offered me expedited shipping to-and-fro to correct this. I will take her up on that.

It's merely a hobby of mine to check out ALL of the hangguns that are available to me... I happen to love SIG the best.... so far, at least... Glock has never made it to the top of MY list... sorry, even though I know you love them, I'm not sold.

I never consider anything in an online forum to mandate my participation... I do so as I choose or see fit...

I chose to participate in this thread because it sparked something in me that didn't agree with my experience and knowlege.

I'm sorry that you took offense to that.

With Kindest Regards...

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Just avoid the evil, icky plastic and you'll be alright.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Just avoid the evil, icky plastic and you'll be alright.

FAIR ENOUGH! Smile

I'll take mine... you take yours...

I'm not even suggesting that Sig's polymer is superior to Glock's either... I've said before that I'd gladly part with my Mosquito- which is the only polymer framed pistol I own...

But, I hope you actually will check out those links I posted... they're educational (and supportive of my original assertions), to say the least...

Cheers!

posted Hide Post
quote:
You don't see polymers used in spacecraft or satellites

FYI, Teflon-FEP is a polymer commonly used in spacecraft along with several others.

Posts: 2177 | Location: Henderson, KY | Registered: April 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by staudacher:
quote:

FYI, Teflon-FEP is a polymer commonly used in spacecraft along with several others.

Context would matter in this instance... you took this quote from me out-of-context where I was also stating that polymers are used occasionally in non-critical componentry.

Please post my full quotation next time. Thanks!

Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Context would matter in this instance... you took this quote from me out-of-context where I was also stating that polymers are used occasionally in non-critical componentry.

Actually it was not out of context except that he should have quoted the whole paragraph. But nowhere in that paragraph did you speak to non-critical componentry and you did in fact state that polymers were not used in spacecraft or satellites. Here is the proper quote:

"You don't see polymers used in spacecraft or satellites, because it's well known that polymers gas-off and fail even faster in vacuum and temperature extremes (the vacuum "sucks" the gasses out even faster), in fact most polymers would melt or gas-off completely after a very short time when exposed to direct sunlight in the vacuum of space due to the inability of vacuum to dissipate heat into the nearby surroundings... and in cold conditions (well, space is extremely cold in the shade) they become as brittle as ice. I'm not suggesting that any of you will ever be trying to use your Glock in space, mind you."

Posts: 6679 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

try reading your own post.

quote:
The military avoids polymers like the plague as well, except in non-critical componentry... Why? I think we all know, don't we?

That is your only mention of polymer use in a non-critical component.

And go ahead tell the Astronauts that parts of their spacesuits are non-critical components.

Posts: 2177 | Location: Henderson, KY | Registered: April 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You know what? I'm tired of dancing around this topic... as an engineer with much experience in polymers, I would not invest any of my money into a Glock, nor a Sig, nor any other pistol which has a Polymer frame if I intended to keep it long. I don't own any polymer framed arms except for one Sig Mosquito, to which I won't give high reviews... I'd sell it in a heartbeat, if asked.

Polymers WILL fail sooner than base metals.

FACT!

I base my decisions on what to buy/own on fact and experience.

I still do not intend to EVER own a Glock...
And, to all of those out there who have total faith in polymers and such... GO FOR IT! POLYMERS ARE THE GREATEST THING EVER! TRUST YOUR LIFE TO THEM WITHOUT RESERVATION!

Chatter amongst yourselves, I'm stepping out of this thread.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Cool. Avoid touching the icky plastic and you'll be fine.

Myself, I take a radical approach and base my decisions about such things on results. I know I should be worried about some schlub in the next century not being able to shoot my Glocks, but somehow, it just doesn't seem to matter. Shit, I'll be dead in twenty years. WTF do I care? And that's if it even comes to pass.

My Glocks go bang. Actually they go bangbangbangbang and so forth. They work like grease through a goose. That's results, not some guy in 2157 wearing a George Jetson outfit worrying about his antique Glock being safe to shoot.

A Watchful Guardian
Picture of badkarma56
posted Hide Post
quote:

You know what? I'm tired of dancing around this topic... as an engineer with much experience in polymers, I would not invest any of my money into a Glock, nor a Sig, nor any other pistol which has a Polymer frame if I intended to keep it long. I don't own any polymer framed arms except for one Sig Mosquito, to which I won't give high reviews... I'd sell it in a heartbeat, if asked.

Polymers WILL fail sooner than base metals.

FACT!

I base my decisions on what to buy/own on fact and experience.

I still do not intend to EVER own a Glock...
And, to all of those out there who have total faith in polymers and such... GO FOR IT! POLYMERS ARE THE GREATEST THING EVER! TRUST YOUR LIFE TO THEM WITHOUT RESERVATION!

Chatter amongst yourselves, I'm stepping out of this thread.

Bro, take two of these with a large glass of water immediately:

Otherwise, you might just spontaneously combust with all that righteous indignation you're channeling!

Remember ... it's Friday, amigo. Wink

As Hickok45 always likes to say, "life's good."

-BK

"If it's all the same to you, I'd really prefer to visit the range."

Posts: 7980 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: August 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Road goes on forever
and the Party never ends
Picture of Dyingtime
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Didn't I say in my original post that I admire many things about Glock?

They have some GREAT engineering and much ingenuity...

My ONLY draeback on Glock is that they make their pistols from materials which do not give me confidence...

Glock, build a pistol which has (not even all steel, but) and all metal frame, and we could do business! Smile

Well think of a Glock to be like a pussy. Its really hard to beat when its new and fun to play with. Now after 20 years or so it still looks and handles good. It even works as good if not better than the first day you played with it. It might be a better pussy if its heavier, harder, and a little colder. But I like my pussies a littler softer, warmer, and able to handle the recoil a little better.

But if you want a harder, heavier, and colder one, go ahead. No one here will think less of you for going with what you like. Not every one likes a good pussy.

" The Road goes on forever and the Party never ends"

Posts: 3301 | Location: Blairsville Georgia | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vsp39o2
posted Hide Post
great gawsh...you have a way with words

Posts: 1814 | Location: greater metro Tar Bay | Registered: March 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Watchful Guardian
Picture of badkarma56
posted Hide Post
quote:

Well think of a Glock to be like a pussy. Its really hard to beat when its new and fun to play with. Now after 20 years or so it still looks and handles good. It even works as good if not better than the first day you played with it. It might be a better pussy if its heavier, harder, and a little colder. But I like my pussies a littler softer, warmer, and able to handle the recoil a little better.

But if you want a harder, heavier, and colder one, go ahead. No one here will think less of you for going with what you like. Not every one likes a good pussy.

Great analogy, Hoss. Big Grin

-BK

"If it's all the same to you, I'd really prefer to visit the range."

Posts: 7980 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: August 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Cool. Avoid touching the icky plastic and you'll be fine.

Myself, I take a radical approach and base my decisions about such things on results. I know I should be worried about some schlub in the next century not being able to shoot my Glocks, but somehow, it just doesn't seem to matter. Shit, I'll be dead in twenty years. WTF do I care? And that's if it even comes to pass.

My Glocks go bang. Actually they go bangbangbangbang and so forth. They work like grease through a goose. That's results, not some guy in 2157 wearing a George Jetson outfit worrying about his antique Glock being safe to shoot.

I promise this to be my last post in this thread...

I respect all of you, and I respect your attention to this thread... and Parabellum, I am not shitting on it...

I have my own well-founded views on polymers, which so far I cannot see any evidence offered that they eventually will not fail... damn, I've worked in plastics for years... give me a break.

At this point, I can see that experience and knowlege/observance of how polymers behave over time don't seem to matter to most of you folks...

Glock is counting on this...

Go ahead and buy that Glock, and will it to your descendants, and even tell them it will be safe to use... (even if it blows up in their face, who cares? you'll be dead by then)

I don't care what any of you think.

I'm not buying this.......