SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P365 - Light Strike Yesterday at range - Pencil out of barrel test
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P365 - Light Strike Yesterday at range - Pencil out of barrel test Login/Join 
posted
Yesterday I went to the range and shot about 100 rounds through my P365.

I had 1 light strike at about round 30 or 40. Other than that, it was flawless.

Today I took it apart and cleaned it. Then took the striker out and cleaned it and the striker channel - there was some light oil/residue on the striker and in the chamber - but nothing too bad.

My question is - has anyone ever shot a pencil out the barrel of their 365 when dry firing?

After Re-assembly, I stuck a pencil in the barrel and shot it straight up about 3-4 inches above the barrel consistently - is that good or bad?

I tried to search for this and didn't see anything posted previously - thanks for any input.

Posts: 247 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: December 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
I'd say good.

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do the pencil test regularly after cleaning and reassembly.
Sounds like yours is fine.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16110 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
A pencil in my P365 comes out about maybe 4-5". In one of my 1911 pistols, the pencil stuck in the ceiling drywall. Razz

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, the pencil should come out of your barrel. Just make sure the pistol is unloaded, first.

Light strike shouldn't be assumed to reside with the pistol; it's very possible it's the ammunition. a primer not fully seated, or a deeper primer pocket, or even a hard primer can cause the same thing.

You might pull the striker and have a look at the tip, if you're concerned. If it's moving the pencil, it's likely not a problem.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
98.SiG and Rising
Picture of Sig Fever
posted Hide Post
Be careful if you want to pull the striker. There was a design change with more current model, they disassemble like the XL model. I watched a couple of Youtube videos and most people did it like a Glock, but mine does not come apart like that. Here is a video of how mine comes apart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AvQg8w3UYU&t=124s

Warning...SiGs are addictive, keep out of the reach of adults!

Blue Lives Matter: Thank a Police Officer for their Service!

Posts: 5795 | Location: Virginia USA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
It depends on your pencil. Or more likely your eraser.

The only pencil I’ve got around here is a #2 Ticonderoga and in both of my P365s and my P365xl the pencil barely moves. I’ve got over two thousand rounds through one of my 365s and almost a thousand through the XL. I know they work. The same pencil in my GP100 and G19 also barely moves.

If I stick an ink pen down the barrel of any of those guns they send it to the ceiling. So I don’t think anyone can tell you for sure that your gun should push your pencil out of the barrel.

The only way to really know is to go shoot it more. I don’t think anything but ammo (or some machine that measures such things that I’m sure exists) can tell you much other than that the striker is moving.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15259 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone - good advice/feedback was much appreciated!

Posts: 247 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: December 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just make sure the pistol is unloaded, first.

It'll go way further if it isnt. Big Grin

On a serious note I typically lock the slide back and manually activate the striker block then look for FP protrusion on the face when reassembling. Either would work fine I imagine.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
It depends on your pencil. Or more likely your eraser.

The only pencil I’ve got around here is a #2 Ticonderoga and in both of my P365s and my P365xl the pencil barely moves.

Turn it around so the eraser is up, and an unsharpened end is down.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^ Pencil testing must be done correctly. Unsharpened end to firing pin or striker.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16110 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
^^^^ Pencil testing must be done correctly. Unsharpened end to firing pin or striker.

Well holy shit. I’ve been doing it wrong all these years. I don’t know if I’ve had an unsharpened pencil since I was a kid. I just used the ones that have been sitting on my desk for years and they are all sharpened. I probably stole them from my kids Big Grin

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15259 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post