SIGforum
Another Old Smith and Wesson arrived!

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/5920069324

May 08, 2017, 08:18 PM
stylophiles
Another Old Smith and Wesson arrived!
Kind of a cool version, their "in between" the top break models and the swing out cylinder hand ejector models. What Smith and Wesson called The Perfected Model. Uses both the top break latch AND the cylinder release style thumb latch.

An apocryphal story has it that the design was motivated by an event where an officer had a criminal at gunpoint and the bad guy (with whatever passed for ninja like moves at the turn of the century) reached across and released the top break latch, rendering the officers gun useless.... Not sure if I buy that, but still a neat design!

Bill R.
May 08, 2017, 08:49 PM
Sunset_Va
Thanks for showing us your pistol, I didn't know about that model.

Looks brand new to me!

美しい犬
May 08, 2017, 09:32 PM
ohsheepdog
Never seen that one before! So what is the opening sequence? Cylinder release then top strap?

Proverbs 21:31
May 08, 2017, 09:40 PM
stylophiles
quote:
Originally posted by ohsheepdog:
Never seen that one before! So what is the opening sequence? Cylinder release then top strap?

Yeah, you have to push forwards on the cylinder release latch and then you can lift the top break latch.
Another trivia factoid: It's also the only Top Break Smith and Wesson with the side plate on the right side. You can use that as an almost perfect example of useless knowledge, but still... Might make a fun tiebreaker interview question or something...
Bill R
May 08, 2017, 10:15 PM
mr kablammo
Very nice. Sip some whisky and admire that (unloaded) rare piece.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.
May 08, 2017, 10:31 PM
stylophiles
quote:
Originally posted by mr kablammo:
Very nice. Sip some whisky and admire that (unloaded) rare piece.

Well... It's Buffalo Trace Bourbon tonight, actually! Since it's my "Friday night". And I'm still working on getting some S&W .38, and S&W .32, so for now all my Tp Breaks are perminantly unloaded!

Bill R
May 08, 2017, 11:21 PM
Excam_Man
Very nice.

May 08, 2017, 11:53 PM
David Lee
I never even would have noticed its' thumb latch. A nice old revolver and she still bares nearly all its nickle plate.
May 09, 2017, 12:14 AM
350zee
She's beautiful.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
***My Idea Of Gun Control Is A Firm Grip!!!***-------***NRA Life Member***----------
May 09, 2017, 06:13 AM
blindref
Nice find and addition! I love the charm of those old nickel wheel guns have. If only they could talk.

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

May 09, 2017, 06:29 AM
CQB60
Just plain sweet...

May 09, 2017, 06:32 AM
walkinghorse
Nice! Smile
Thanks for the additional information! Cool

Jim
May 09, 2017, 08:02 AM
Sunset_Va
Another feature I just noticed, the front of the cylinder is radiused.

美しい犬
May 09, 2017, 10:00 AM
David Lee
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
Another feature I just noticed, the front of the cylinder is radiused.
Scallops, they still do this today on some S&Ws.
May 09, 2017, 01:34 PM
arfmel
That's a lovely old thing. I have never seen one "in the flesh".
May 09, 2017, 05:23 PM
GCE61
What a great old revolver, nice catch sir.
Beautiful pic also.