SIGforum
Beretta Tomcat 3032 question.

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/5900021894

January 23, 2023, 09:05 PM
techguy
Beretta Tomcat 3032 question.
I recently bought the Tomcat 3032 Inox and I notice that when you flip the lever to pop up the barrel, the front of the slide pops up as well. It only does this with a magazine inserted. If any of you have this pistol, can you advise if this is normal?

I guess this is what I get for making a purchase without doing research on the pistol first.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: techguy,
January 23, 2023, 09:17 PM
pedropcola
Shitty answer but kinda. Some guns when you do that the slide actually comes off. That is bad. If it stays attached but just moves a bit it’s not great but Beretta won’t do anything about it.

I love Beretta but the Tomcats are a bit of a hot mess. Wait till the frame cracks.

Unsolicited advice. Follow Beretta rules for power loadings and don’t shoot it a bunch. Horrible advice but welcome to the Tomcat world.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: pedropcola,
January 23, 2023, 10:21 PM
CQB60
Drop the mag first? Seems like a reliable workaround. Sorry

January 23, 2023, 10:21 PM
inspcalahan
First time to the range with my bad ass Tomcat 32 - slide popped up. When I went to "reinstall" it, some of the levers and springs popped out. It's still in a pile in the safe, waiting for a day it becomes a priority enough to put back together and sell.

The little .22's are awesome - all of mine run like a raped ape, suppressed or not. The Tomcat .32....didn't impress me.
January 24, 2023, 03:55 PM
GT-40DOC
I owned my Tomcat .32 for exactly one(1) day, and dumped it!! Bad choice on MY part to purchase this weapon.
January 24, 2023, 08:12 PM
92fstech
quote:
Originally posted by inspcalahan:
First time to the range with my bad ass Tomcat 32 - slide popped up. When I went to "reinstall" it, some of the levers and springs popped out. It's still in a pile in the safe, waiting for a day it becomes a priority enough to put back together and sell.

The little .22's are awesome - all of mine run like a raped ape, suppressed or not. The Tomcat .32....didn't impress me.

This was similar to my experience with the Model 20 in .25 and the grip panels broke. I fixed it but rarely shot it, and eventually sold it to my BIL who hasn't shot it in years and just wanted a gun to have a gun.

A couple of buddies from another agency bought a pair of Tomcats one time. Both of them cracked the frame on their first range trip.

I love Berettas, but I stick to the bigger ones.
January 24, 2023, 10:31 PM
cslinger
I pride myself on being able to pick up damn near anything and be able to operate it and at the very least passably shoot it………….except the Beretta Tomcat. What a miserable little gun in my hands. I am far better throwing the whole damn thing at the target vs shooting it.

That said I’ve never experienced the slide movement much less the slide coming off as mentioned.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."
January 24, 2023, 10:59 PM
parabellum
A range owner in Atlanta says he and a friend wore out a Tomcat in one afternoon of shooting. I know the guy and I believe him.
January 27, 2023, 09:20 AM
ruger357
A friend of mine that worked at Beretta said it was the most problematic gun Beretta ever made. I had one that you could only disassemble once and then you sent it back to Beretta and they sent you a new gun. That got boring after a while so I got rid of it.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor
January 27, 2023, 12:34 PM
PASig
When I first got into pocket pistols I SO wanted to love this gun but all the horror stories of cracking frames turned me off, not to mention that is one FAT little thing. Like more than 2 or maybe 3 Kel-Tec P-32’s stacked on top of each other.

If you want a decent little .32 that works well, THAT is what to go with: the P-32

January 27, 2023, 01:47 PM
Delta-3
Ummm, I like mine. Shoots fine with FMJ, HP & Lehigh Defense rounds. Have disassembled it many times for cleaning & no problems so far.
I know of all the issues & complaints but don't run it hard.
It's a neat little BUG & I enjoy having it.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.
January 30, 2023, 11:40 AM
clang
I have an early one and cracked the frame on the little cross brace that is prone to cracking. I wound up filing down the cross brace and it operates fine.
January 30, 2023, 03:11 PM
pedropcola
That is the funny part. Almost everyone agrees that where it cracks isn’t structurally important. So why doesn’t Beretta just machine it off instead of leaving it and letting it crack?

I’ve never heard of anyone filing the cracked part away and having any problems with the cracked area getting worse or doing anything negative after that. It effectively solves the cracking issue.

It makes no sense.
January 31, 2023, 09:30 PM
KPSquared
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
That is the funny part. Almost everyone agrees that where it cracks isn’t structurally important. So why doesn’t Beretta just machine it off instead of leaving it and letting it crack?

I’ve never heard of anyone filing the cracked part away and having any problems with the cracked area getting worse or doing anything negative after that. It effectively solves the cracking issue.

It makes no sense.

I think because the design is CA compliant.

Thanks,
KPSquared