SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Quick Glock 19X with MOS frame ? Re; magazine base plates
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quick Glock 19X with MOS frame ? Re; magazine base plates Login/Join 
Picture of KHolm
posted
Greeting!

This morning I picked up a brand new Glock 19X complete slide and 2 new 19 round magazines for $150. I also ordered a new Glock 19.5 MOS frame off of GB for $239 shipped for a new Gen 5 budget build.

My question is, are the floor plates off of the 19X mags 19 round magazines compatible with the 15 round magazines? Do they have different springs, too? I don’t have any Glocks in my collection and desperately needed another, so I went this route to have a two-toner in a Gen 5 with the non-cutout frame. Less than $400 with night sights and all new. Obviously they’ll work in the MOS 19 frame, simply extending out a split, but I would like to know if I can repurpose them to a 15 round mag to fit flush to the magwell.

Thanks in advance.

Isaiah 54:17 - No weapon formed against us shall prosper....

What do I want? A time machine.
When do I want it? Irrelevant.

Posts: 1820 | Location: Central Iowa CAPTIVE | Registered: January 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure what you're asking. The 19X with flush mags uses a 17 round magazine (standard for full-size Glock 9mm frames). It has the option of an extended baseplate that allows two additional rounds, making it a 19 round magazine (17+2). You can remove the extended baseplate and put a standard baseplate on the 19 round magazine, returning it to a 17 round capacity.

If you're asking if you can use the spring and follower and compress it into a 15 round magazine body, the answer is yes, you can, but you'll have extra magazine coils in there and you may not get your fifteen rounds in the magazine.

If you're asking if you can put the extended baseplate on the 15 round magazine, making it a 17 round magazine, the answer is yes, you can, but again, why not just use a standard 17 round magazine in that case?

If you're wanting to use the G19X magazine with a flush baseplate (flush on the 19X), it simply becomes a standard 17 round magazine, instead of 19 rounds. This will extend from the grip on your 19 just like any other 17 round magazine.

The G19 uses 15 round magazines, which some people extend with aftermarket baseplates. Personally, in the 19, I use Vickers baseplates because I prefer them a lot to the stock baseplate. Likewise, in the G17 and G34, which both use the 17 round magazine, I use a flush baseplate, but I use the Vickers baseplate. It's slightly wider than stock and gives a bit more area for seating the magazine, and a slight lip for extracting the mag if needed. They don't snag, they stay put when the mag is ejected loaded , and they're durable, easy to change, inexpensive, and I have them on all my Glock maags except the single stack.

If I'm running a 17 round magazine in a G19, then it does protrude slightly; this isn't a big deal. If you want flush for carry, then drop the 17 round (or 19 round) magazine, as you like, in your pocket or on your belt for the reload.

If you're new to Glocks, you also have the option of Magpul magazines, which cost less than factory mags, and also. ETS magazines, which work really well and also cost less. The factory magazines are very reliable, and are inexpensive compared to most other brands. When I'm carrying a Glock, I carry the factory magazines. When shooting at a match or in a class, I also use magpul and the ETS interchangably and have had no issues. For range work, I'll use the magpul and ETS mags all day long, no worries at all. I've had no issues in any weather, hot or cold, in the dirt or dust, etc.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KHolm
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your response and I’ll add a bit of clarity for this range toy...

I would simply like to utilize the 19 round FDE floor plate on a 15 round magazine, and asking if it is compatible from the full size 17 round magazine body to the 15 round body. I haven’t had a Glock for a year or so and never messed around with changing floor plates. I used to be Glock floor to ceiling but sold them off in favor of Sig and HK. However, at this price point it made sense to add one back and I didn’t have any G19 mags laying around to try.

Isaiah 54:17 - No weapon formed against us shall prosper....

What do I want? A time machine.
When do I want it? Irrelevant.

Posts: 1820 | Location: Central Iowa CAPTIVE | Registered: January 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't see why it would be a problem. I have several of those mags laying around; I'm not sure where I put the 19 round mags (I may have pulled the 19 round bases off and chucked them, returning them to 17 round with Vickers baseplates, actually).

It shouldn't be a problem.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm just preparing my
impromptu remarks
posted Hide Post
You can definitely use Glock +2 floor plates on G19 15-round magazines.

Posts: 331 | Location: PA | Registered: May 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post