SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New (to me) ballistic tests
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New (to me) ballistic tests Login/Join 
Picture of smlsig
posted
I ran across this report and thought I'd share.
Hopefully it hasn't been posted before but I found it informative...

https://www.luckygunner.com/la...mmo-ballistic-tests/

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6311 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used that a while back to purchase .38 +P ammo for my carry pistol...exceptionally informative and well done. Should be an Internet sticky...

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

This has been posted before, and I'm glad you posted it again because I had forgotten about it and I found new loads since I last reviewed it.

An important aspect of ammo testing is the barrel length. Most of the handguns used during ammo testing by the Lucky Gunner are short barrel rather than the duty length handguns the FBI uses for their testing. The exceptions being the 4.5-inch barrel handguns the Lucky Gunner used for testing .357 Sig and 10mm ammo. The Lucky Gunner also used both short and long barrel handguns for their .357 Magnum testing.

The test guns used by the Lucky Gunner:

.380 ACP: Glock 42, 3.25-inch barrel

.38 Special: Kimber k6, 2-inch barrel
.38 Special: Ruger GP100 Match Champ 4.2-inch barrel
9mm: Smith & Wesson M&P9c, 3.5-inch barrel

.357 Sig: Glock 31, 4.49-inch barrel
.357 Magnum: Kimber K6, 2-inch barrel
.357 Magnum: Ruger GP100 Match Champ 4.2-inch barrel

.40 S&W: Glock 27, 3.42-inch barrel
.45 ACP: Kahr CW45, 3.64-inch barrel

10mm: Glock 20 Gen 4, 4.6-inch barrel

Per the Lucky Gunner test strategy page...

Short Barreled Handguns
This is one area where we intentionally deviated from the typical FBI test. Ballistics testing is most often conducted with full size or “service size” handguns with barrel lengths of at least 4”. However, most armed citizens carry smaller guns with shorter barrels, which means the bullets they fire will fly at a lower velocity than what is advertised by the ammo manufacturer. Ballistics data gathered using full size barrels can be misleading if applied to these small concealable pistols. We ran our tests with popular concealable handguns with barrel lengths we think are more representative of what the average citizen is actually carrying.

Posts: 2856 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Those are great. I love how visual they are. Go to your caliber, find 3-5 loads where you see all the bullets expanded and lined up between the 12"-18" lines. Find 1 of those available online or locally at a good price and purchase!

Lately I'm rollin' 115g standard pressure Gold Dots in 9mm for all my carry guns. Easy to find, not very expensive (for premium ammo) and works great in barrels down to 3.5" as tested.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JBird679
posted Hide Post
Looks like Sig's V-Crown has respectable results in most calibers. It's always on sale so it's probably one of the more cost efficient options. Very cool.

Posts: 987 | Location: Upstate, SC | Registered: March 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
I like those guys. They run a really good YouTube channel also FYI.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3204 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I really like them, website and youtube chanel both. There was this one article they did though...discussing the irrelevance of .357Sig due to hot 9mm rounds. The nerve, how dare they!! Big Grin

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
I was pleased to see my two carry rounds 147 grain RA9T and 230 grain RA45T, both performed very well. Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
I really like them, website and youtube chanel both. There was this one article they did though...discussing the irrelevance of .357Sig due to hot 9mm rounds. The nerve, how dare they!! Big Grin

.357 SIG and DeLoreans...a hot commodity.

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can't beat Lucky Gunner's ballistics tests. They may be the very best out there. Visuals are great, and they are data driven. I'm surprised that they don't have 2 millions YouTube subscribers, as good as their videos are.

Thanks for sharing the link. Good stuff.

Posts: 1091 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Really like the effectiveness of the Federal, 38+P 130g HST micro load through a 2” snubbie

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cobra21:
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:

.357 SIG and DeLoreans...a hot commodity.

Cobra21 is here all week folks! Try the veal and don’t forget to tip your waitresses.. Big Grin

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks...this is is very helpful.

Posts: 425 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post