SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Gen 5 Glock 21
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gen 5 Glock 21 Login/Join 
posted
I have had a couple of Glock 21s over the years, but they were simply so big/heavy with their 13 round mags that I eventually sold them.

Yesterday, in my lGS, I saw a Gen 5 Glock 21MOS and asked to see it. I eventually dry-fired it and was simply amazed at how nice the trigger was. Really good and pretty light-not Glockish at all, IMO. Came with 3 mags, too.

So I bought it for a great price, ordered ammo, night sights and a Vedder LighTuck holster on-line.

I plan to take it to the range sometime next week.

I doubt I'll carry it in my usual attire-shorts and T-shirt, but in our winter, I will try it in my jeans and T-shirt. If it is too heavy/big, it is still welcome to stay as another house gun.

Bob

Bob

Posts: 1583 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the Gen 5 triggers are pretty much universally better than the triggers from earlier generations, due to their different trigger mechanism.

While I agree that the G21 is big and heavy so not an ideal carry gun, I also happen to shoot my G21 better than most of my other Glocks. Probably has to do with having big hands.

Posts: 32558 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Let us know if you get brass to the face. I haven’t shot a gen 5 yet but all my gen 3-4s bash me in the face fairly regularly no matter what I try.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3227 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Yeah, my first time handling a Gen 5 was a G45. I was first surprised by how well the shorter slide balance, but then even more surprised at how much better the brand new factory trigger was. Bought two of them in less than six months.

Posts: 17219 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1KPerDay:
Let us know if you get brass to the face. I haven’t shot a gen 5 yet but all my gen 3-4s bash me in the face fairly regularly no matter what I try.

Have you tried replacing the ejector? It's a ~$12 part. They are compatible across gens, and many users find swapping theirs out resolves brass-to-face (aka BTF).

OEM part numbers 336 vs 30274 vs 47021

Posts: 3189 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
quote:

Have you tried replacing the ejector? It's a ~$12 part. They are compatible across gens, and many users find swapping theirs out resolves brass-to-face (aka BTF).

OEM part numbers 336 vs 30274 vs 47021

Yes, tried all the combos of new/old ejectors and extractors, and even 9/40 ejectors in some cases. Nothing really solves it. Maybe I just have a yooooge noggin

Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Gen 5 triggers are a marked improvement over previous generations. The lack of finger grooves must make the grip seem smaller? I’d imagine those front serrations enhance the looks too?

Posts: 13819 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
I picked up a Gen 5 G21 on the blue label program 2 months ago. It has been a fantastic shooter. I like it more than the Gen 4 G21 and better than my G41.
It’s become my nightstand companion. Very easy to shoot and has been extremely accurate.

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dcowboyscr
posted Hide Post
quote:

None of the Gen-5 Glocks (19,26,45) I’ve shot has had the brass to the face problem as they all have the breech face cut that controls the case better.

"Clear Eyes. Full Hearts. Can't Lose."

Posts: 3093 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, USA | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had one for a few months before I sold it to buy a 229 LE Legion . It shot ok but in the end it’s just a Glock with the same crappy trigger .
Blue Label with Glocks is the way to go if you qualify. Mine was $495.00 .

Posts: 705 | Location: S.W.Florida | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dcowboyscr:
quote:

None of the Gen-5 Glocks (19,26,45) I’ve shot has had the brass to the face problem as they all have the breech face cut that controls the case better.

Thanks!

posted Hide Post
"Same crappy trigger," Nick B said.

I've mostly had no problem with Glock triggers-my G42 was an exception and you guys helped me fix that one so it its now one of my "never sell or trade" guns. CCR is refinishing the slide as the inexpensive Cerakote job I had done on it has started to wear.

I have a new G48, with the Skydas Gear Cerakote battleworn flag finish that I "guess" is a Gen 5 since it is a pretty new addition to Glock's firearms, but the trigger is pretty much the same as most other Glocks-maybe just a bit better, but nothing to write home about.

But this G21 has such an exceptional trigger, IMO, that I am headed out this AM to check on other Gen 5s, and try their triggers.

Just maybe one will follow me home Wink.

Bob

Posts: 1583 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went over to Sportsman's Warehouse and bought ammo, then tried out a Gen5 Glock 19 but the trigger was so-so so I passed.

Got home, had lunch and decided that I'd go back (it's just down the street) and get some more ammo. I passed by the cases of guns and remembered they sold a few used guns so went to the last case where they keep those.

Prices were generally very good and they had a Gen 5 Glock 19 with Trijicon Night Sights for $399 plus tax and background. It had the dark green frame.

The clerk said it it came in with 4 mags, but when he checked there were only two. Still, all in all, a very fair price so I bought it.

The Trijicons are not real bright but still glow. I suspect the former owner took them off another gun.

The trigger is not great, kinda so-so like the new one I'd tried earlier. Made me appreciate my G21MOS even more.

Bob

posted Hide Post
The G21.5 has the breech face cut to prevent BTF.

A shot not taken is a shot missed

Posts: 411 | Registered: April 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ahh, Glock triggers. How wretched can thou become...

To me the relatively ancient 24 yr old Gen3 trigger continues to be the best, though that's not saying much given where the trigger quality of much of Glock's chief competition are at these days. Both Gen4 and Gen5 are mushy and vague, only that the Gen5 is easily and very noticeably less so. But in this company of three, the Gen3 could actually pass (er...maybe 'fake it' is more appropriate) as "precise", though that still would be hard for me to say in polite company without a smirk, wink or both. Factory Glock trigger actions are genuinely mediocre-crappy regardless of generational "improvements" (or at the very least, differences), yet I still cherish the existence of these guns because they do everything else that counts so well. The triggers as-is are good enough for the gun's original service/duty role, and up until recently that's pretty much all Glock really cared for. It's the civilian user base who loudly carp and whine about taking their Glocks into some "perfection" slogan-fulfilling direction that the company never intended to go unless it was one of their l-o-n-g slide competition/target behemoths, and yet even there it really hasn't been that great without subsequent aftermarket help. I suppose that it's something that they're toying with and offering that newish drop-in of theirs.

-MG

Posts: 2016 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post