SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Gen5 Glock trigger problems
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gen5 Glock trigger problems Login/Join 
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted
A little back story.

Since we got the Gen5 pistols back in ‘18, we have had problems with the triggers going to crap around 5k rounds. The trigger becomes really gritty and stacks. You can roll the gun ejection port down and watch the ambi-slide lock lever rise and fall aggressively.

I attended the Glock armorers class this time last year and the MOS instructor course. I asked about it and the instructor said he never heard of it. I let him shoot my gun and he gave me a new trigger bar. The problem lessened but he was amazed at how bad the trigger was.

So, we started replacing trigger bars as a fix.

My main pistol starting getting bad again with the trigger bar being 11 months old as I took the Glock class in May of last year.

Last night, I detail stripped the gun, polished the slide lock lever and trigger bar, and switched the type of lube I have been using. The problem went away and the trigger is every bit as good as it ever was.

Taught a course today and shot 100 rounds or so. Trigger is still outstanding.

My question is this. If you have had trigger problems like I describe on a higher round count gun, what lube were you using?

Lucas is what I have used for years because I got a ton of it when I was a sponsored shooter. On AR bolts, it turns to a paste after 2-300 rounds. I’m wondering if it has had the same effect on the Glock trigger bars and that is the actual cause of the problem.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had some issues with M Pro 7 gumming up badly on Glocks and switched to just using CLP. We never conclusively figured out if it was the cleaner or the lube component that was causing it, but switching seems to have solved our problems. The issues were sporadic, however, and mostly limited to guys that cannot figure out that their Glock does not need to be soaked in cleaner and oil.

This was with Gen 4 Glock 22s, however.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
Are you using Lucas Original gun oil that's red or the Extreme Duty oil that's blue?

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You're saying that there's problem problems at the 5K mark.
And I'm assuming just not your pistola.

What are the other ones using for lube?

I haven't shot my Gen 5 G-34 MOS yet.... Gonna have to keep an eye out.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8351 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had the same problem with my Gen 5 Glock 19 mos gun was firing and the trigger just seemed to stack big time and went to crap , big time thought I broke it , I cleaned it good and polished up the area where the trigger bar and slide lock seem to rub seemed a little better but I did put a new trigger bar and slide lock in it , I just use clp to lube. It may happen again ????

Posts: 937 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our G45’s (110 of them) have had no such issue. The dept armorer (me) uses EWL exclusively. Can’t say what individual officers might use.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8767 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use Rem oil and no issues so far. My 19X trigger isn't as good as my G19 Gen 5 and I do have more rounds through it. Something to keep an eye on.

I did have problems with a Gen 4 G17 and the infamous frog lube, but that's self-explanatory.

DPR

Posts: 657 | Registered: March 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Orndorff:
Our G45’s (110 of them) have had no such issue. The dept armorer (me) uses EWL exclusively.
Yes, SLIP2000 products for me- EWL, EWL30 (more viscous than EWL) and EWG (grease). You can mix these lubes to obtain the viscosity you desire. I use these on all my firearms.
quote:
Originally posted by 10round:
I did have problems with a Gen 4 G17 and the infamous frog lube, but that's self-explanatory.
[Foghorn Leghorn] Son- I say son, don't put mayonnaise on your handguns! [/Foghorn Leghorn]

Posts: 107632 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
We have Glock 45s. Never had this issue but we use, as an agency, EWL and EWL 30 only. We also use that on our rifles. We are really pleased with these products and I do not foresee any change.

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yes, on the four contact rails of an AR bolt carrier, I apply a mixture of EWL30 and EWG. I can come back to one of my ARs months later, pull the BCG and those rails still glisten with lubricant. Other products I've used in the past would, over time, either run off or gum up.

Like many of you, I have a box full of different lubricants I've tried over the years, but I will use SLIP2000 products for the rest of my life, or until they go out of business.

Picture of Blackwater
posted Hide Post
I’ve been using Slip exclusively for at least 10 years and I use it sparingly even on an AR. I’ve never had an issue with the lube gumming up or not being slick. Even after shooting and a simple wipe down the gun still feels slick.

I’ll make sure to steer clean of Lucas now, not that I would even think about changing.

Joe

Posts: 2525 | Location: Az | Registered: October 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
We recently switched to gen5 and all we have is gallons of ancient break free clp.
I did buy a bunch of Lucas products when they were doing a closeout at autozone, I will make sure to keep that away from the gen5 guns.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8024 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackwater:

I’ll make sure to steer clean of Lucas now, not that I would even think about changing.

Man, I was really torn to mention Lucas until I was sure I’m right. But, I also knew I wouldn’t make it three or four posts until someone asked anyway. But, I’m up to 3 guns that I have applied this “fix” to and all three bounced back to a really good trigger.

I’m up to about 400 rounds since I did mine and the trigger just gets better and better. I figured it up a while ago, and I’ve put somewhere close to 105k through Gen5 pistols since they came out. And this had me puzzled. Several years ago, we shot 4000 rounds through a single Gen4 G22 in a day. After we detailed it and put it back together, it ran like a top. We got the gun so hot that it melted the front sight partially. But after it was detailed, the trigger was as good as day 1. I’m pretty sure Bruce Gray still owns that pistol today. He won 3 or 4 Glock matches with it. And at the time I traded it to him, it had 18k down the spout.

I’m please using SLIP EWL so far.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Interesting. I’ve used Lucas Extreme and Slip 2000 but now I stick with Slip EWL30. Mainly as I find Lucas gun grease too heavy but Slip Grease is just right and I want the oil and grease to be compatible.

Not as many rounds through Glocks. Thousands and thousands through CZ’s getting them hot to the touch, dusty and gritty and Slip has been good to go.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The only thing about EWL30 is that there is (or was at one time) a slight lack of consistency to the product- namely, its viscosity. From bottle to bottle, it is (or was) slightly thinner or thicker.

I called the manufacturer about this. This was several years ago so I can't recall exactly what the very polite and knowledgeable guy said, but essentially, this is due to the mixing process they use. EWL30 is EWL with a thickening agent incorporated. Same thing with the EWG grease- it's EWL but with a lot of thickener added. This is why- he said- that it's perfectly OK to mix these three products to obtain the viscosity you desire. And this is also why EWG becomes clear after you apply it, unlike other types of grease- it's not a traditional grease.

It's been a while since I bought a new bottle of EWL30. Perhaps the manufacturer has addressed these slight variations in the viscosity of EWL30. If not, you can get viscosity anywhere between EWL and EWG just by stirring any combination of these three products together.

The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I've never had that happen using CLP, FP10, or Wilson Ultima_Lube (which I'm sure is a rebranded product). I've never used Lucas. No real reason other than I tend to buy a big bottle when I run out of something and it lasts me a long time.

Posts: 2594 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I have been using MPro7 for years now without issue on both pistols and rifles.
About to get issued Gen5s guess I’ll grab some of this Slip2000 ELW.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25430 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackwater
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:
Originally posted by Blackwater:

Man, I was really torn to mention Lucas until I was sure I’m right. But, I also knew I wouldn’t make it three or four posts until someone asked anyway. But, I’m up to 3 guns that I have applied this “fix” to and all three bounced back to a really good trigger.

I’m up to about 400 rounds since I did mine and the trigger just gets better and better. I figured it up a while ago, and I’ve put somewhere close to 105k through Gen5 pistols since they came out. And this had me puzzled. Several years ago, we shot 4000 rounds through a single Gen4 G22 in a day. After we detailed it and put it back together, it ran like a top. We got the gun so hot that it melted the front sight partially. But after it was detailed, the trigger was as good as day 1. I’m pretty sure Bruce Gray still owns that pistol today. He won 3 or 4 Glock matches with it. And at the time I traded it to him, it had 18k down the spout.

I’m please using SLIP EWL so far.

True story. I heard about all the gripes with the FN509 trigger. Well I went and bought a 509 Midsize anyway and the trigger was pretty gritty when new. After a couple of hundred rounds things didn’t improve much, so I took a look at the trigger components with the slide off and I got an idea of where the drag was happening, near the trigger pivot and squirted some Slip 2000 in there and blew it out with compressed air.

I’ve got over 1500 rounds through the gun since and and that trigger take up grit has remained a thing of the past and the trigger break is nice and clean.

A little dab will do ya.

Joe

Posts: 2525 | Location: Az | Registered: October 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I've never shot a Glock to the point of wearing the trigger bar, but I will say that the only lube related malfunctions I've ever experienced were with Lucas gun oil. Our local Sheriff's office has it on their cleaning bench, and I put some on my EMP4 after a range session there one time. A couple of days later, I took it shooting again, but this time we were outside in 10-15 degree weather. That stuff thickened up so bad that the slide was having trouble cycling, and I couldn't get the gun to run a single round without a malfunction. I wiped it off and squirted something else from my range bag on there (don't remember what it was but it wasn't Lucas) and the problems went away. I've never used that stuff since.

Posts: 8590 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
The only thing about EWL30 is that there is (or was at one time) a slight lack of consistency to the product- namely, its viscosity. From bottle to bottle, it is (or was) slightly thinner or thicker.

Interesting. I’ve noticed this on recently purchased product. Not enough to concern me, but slightly different bottle to bottle. I thought it was just me.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post