SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Ruger LCP .380 KABOOM
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger LCP .380 KABOOM Login/Join 
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted
I know this guy. I'm building another M14 for him. He posted this over on the M14 forum. Squib from a factory box of PPU Monarch 380.

https://www.m14forum.com/threa...in-a-bad-way.528020/

Enjoy...

Scott in Texas

I recently acquired a Keltec P32 (.32 acp) and wanted to compare it to my Ruger LCP (.380 acp) in terms of ~10 yard accuracy, recoil, trigger feel and reliability.

I set up a 5-spot target and decided to run a 6- round mag of Hornady Critical Defense through the P32, then a 6-round mag of Remington Golden Sabre through the LCP, then back to the Keltec for a mag of 71 gr PMC FMJ, then back to the LCP for a mag of S&B FMJ, and finally another mag of 71 gr PMC for the Keltec and 94 gr FMJ PPU in the LCP.

The PPU rounds are marketed by Academy under their Monarch brand. Everything was brass cased.

I was shooting fairly rapidly, as one might under self-defense situations. The sights on these guns are pretty useless so it's really eyes open aim and fire. I would go through the magazine and then assess # rounds inside a ~6 inch circle.

I was on the last round of the LCP firing the Monarch / PPU when this happened:

Not a great experience.

I think Round #5 of the Monarch / PPU was a squib with enough recoil to eject the shell, load another, and then BAM! the next round blew the gun apart. Since I wasn't watching the paper and had so many holes on the target already I just didn't detect the squib. The LCP is by nature pretty snappy but I just didn't register a squib.

My first thought was "I'm going to need medical attention" but miraculously no blood or damage, just a slight bruise where the steel guide rod hit my finger. I feel lucky.

So this is bad ammo compounded by a bad strategy - not the LCP's fault.

I'm considering a replacement for the LCP (older, circa 2010 version of the LCP) and I'm considering the LCP, maybe the S&W Shield. At one time I ran through all the competitors - Taurus, Kahr, Beretta, Colt Mustang....and after literally owning about 7-8 ultralight pocket .380's I settled on the LCP. I still have a Sig P238 that I will reacquaint myself with. Anyone have an LCP II or other worthy suggestion?

You figured this was going to be a 'Keltec is garbage!' thread didn't you?

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5366 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
So, will either send him a new gun or does he just have to suck it up?

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34068 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Distinguished Pistol Shot
posted Hide Post
If you retrieved your brass, you can tell if one of them was a squib.

Posts: 829 | Location: South Central MO | Registered: August 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
He's contacted PPU and Monarch to see what they say. He's waiting on a response.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5366 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dgshooter:

How would you tell ?

Posts: 913 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was shooting a lot of 10mm, PPU was cheap practice ammo.
I found it to be dirty and underpowered.
Cant recommend it.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15987 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That looks horrendous. I love his comment about expecting it to be about a Keltec blowing up. Lol I am kind of amazed that these tales rarely do much damage to the shooter. Rifle kabooms take fingers, pistol kabooms see to scare the crap out of you. Either way I’m not a fan.

Posts: 7326 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Very glad he did not have significant injury.

My experience with PPU differs.

I've had good results with lots of rounds of PPU .32ACP and a couple hundred in .30-06 for Garand.

No squibs or other failures.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RichardC,

Life's been good to me so far

Posts: 15832 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
I've shot a lot of both PPU & Monarch-branded PPU ammo mostly in 9mm and some in 380ACP. I consider it good ammo and one of my preferred brands.

I don't care for PPU in 10mm, b/c it's underpowered, as in, might as well be shooting 40S&W.

Posts: 3171 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
This is what unnerves me with the ongoing ammunition “shortage”…producers are stepping up production to answer the increased demand while maybe letting QC take a backseat…don’t get me started on .22LR with squibs, low powered rounds and FTF with some newly purchased CCI Mini Mags (over the years probably the most trouble free rimfire ammo out there)… I’m glad I hand-load most of my pistol and rifle ammo…if I blow my face off it comes back on me doing something stupid.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10579 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think Round #5 of the Monarch / PPU was a squib with enough recoil to eject the shell, load another...
I can't see that happening.

Posts: 107222 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds unlikely, but what is an alternative theory? Stuck a bullet and racked the slide without knowing it?

Posts: 3277 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
That is one way it could happen, yes.

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
The LCP is designed to be as compact as possible, so if there's a gun that you don't want to subject to those kind of forces, that's probably the one. I'm impressed that it protected the shooter as well as it did, though....blew out rather than down into his hand.

Posts: 8377 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
That's impressive. Bugs Bunny would be proud of that banana peeled barrel.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3173 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Having a gun that small blow up would be my worst nightmare. He’s lucky he’s got all his fingers!

I’ve never found PPU .380 or .32 to be bad ammo, if anything it was always a little hotter than American stuff.

Posts: 33567 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Genorogers:
quote:

How would you tell ?

The squib case may not have obturated (expanded)completely, and you could measure them against each one..finding one that was the same measurement as the unfired rounds might show which one was the culprit…

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11233 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well that would be some serious CSI shit right there Mike. You don't mind if I just sit here drinking my coffee while you measure the brass. lol

Posts: 7326 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Genorogers:
quote:
How would you tell ?
Take a look at the primers

Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Yikes! He's lucky he didn't have a hospital trip. Shitty way to end a weekend, regardless.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17236 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post