SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Cleaning a Crimson Trace Laser/light
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cleaning a Crimson Trace Laser/light Login/Join 
Picture of SIGfourme
posted
My buddy brought over his HK VP9 with a rail mounted flashlight/laser complaining that he couldn't see the green dot laser. He changed batteries - no improvement. He has the same light/laser combo on his HK 45C--green laser is bright and focused.
Q tips came out, sprayed with some brake cleaner. Slight improvement--still pretty dim. Plastic dental pick, then repeat Q tip n brake cleaner with significant improvement.
I didn't believe how much carbon/gunk deposited in that laser.

Posts: 2295 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I'd be careful with the brake cleaner....I'm not sure what the lens on those is made of, but brake cleaner can do nasty things to plastic, and could permanently fog the lens. Isopropyl alcohol is good. If there's junk down in the recesses, I'd probably try and carefully loosten it with your plastic pick or wooden toothpick then hit it with high pressure compressed air to blow out the chunks, then more alcohol....repeat until clean.

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Crimson Trace states the lens is glass. Also recommends isopropyl alcohol.
Brake Cleaner = Degreaser but much cheaper.
I was surprised at how much gunk was there.

Posts: 2295 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Ah cool, you're probably fine then. It's amazing how much crud can build up over years of carry.

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post