SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Finally Found My .22 Rimfire Pistol
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finally Found My .22 Rimfire Pistol Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
That's a nice looking gun, and seems to be decently accurate. Sorry to hear about the reliability troubles. Hopefully it will wear in and start performing better for you. I've always wanted a reliable service-style .22, but have yet to find one in my price range.

My Ruger MKII is excellent...reliable, accurate, and fun to shoot. But with it's goofy grip angle and heel mag release, it doesn't exactly serve as a good rimfire training replica for my carry stuff. It's still good marksmanship practice and fun as heck to shoot, though.

Posts: 4700 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
7 yards doesn’t tell much about accuracy potential to do that you need 50 feet minimum and preferably 25 or 50 yards. That is what separates the ok guns from great ones.
The malfunctioning may clear as the gun breaks in. I don’t believe anyone would expect one of these to run standard velocity target ammo until well broken in if ever.

Posts: 2885 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
That's a nice looking gun, and seems to be decently accurate.

Thanks. Yeah, probably more accurate than my ability Wink

quote:
Sorry to hear about the reliability troubles. Hopefully it will wear in and start performing better for you.

I expect it will. That last 13-14 rounds with only one failure was encouraging. Prior to that I think the best I got was 5-6 rounds w/o a failure.

quote:
I've always wanted a reliable service-style .22, but have yet to find one in my price range.

BTDT. Been there and been doing that for years. Finally decided to pay good money for (what I hope will be) a good pistol. We shall see.

quote:
My Ruger MKII is excellent...reliable, accurate, and fun to shoot.

I've a Ruger Mk I that's the same way. My Mk I has had trigger work (light and breaks like glass) and I replaced the stock rear sight with a target model rear sight. It was actually that pistol for which I bought four different kinds of match ammo to test. In fact <looks around...> here's a picture I posted previously:

quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
7 yards doesn’t tell much about accuracy potential ...

I dunno. Printing five rounds in a nearly straight line seems pretty promising Smile (That was with Eley match ammo, btw.)

quote:
... to do that you need 50 feet minimum and preferably 25 or 50 yards. That is what separates the ok guns from great ones.

Fifty feet I might be able to do. I'm afraid twenty-five yards with open sights with my eyes is probably a non-starter, much less fifty. Heck, fifty yards is about my limit, precision shooting, with a rifle with an RDS.

quote:
The malfunctioning may clear as the gun breaks in.

That and proper lube.

quote:
I don’t believe anyone would expect one of these to run standard velocity target ammo until well broken in if ever.

There are varying field reports. Some people have had good success with a wide variety of ammo, some have experienced ammo sensitivity to the point theirs ran well only with higher-velocity ammo. I guess I'll find out.

I hope it ends up running well. It's a lot of fun to shoot Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher
"The dominant media is no more ``mainstream`` than leftists are liberals." -- me

Posts: 20901 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
That's a beautiful MKI! Looks like it's a shooter, too. I'm beginning to feel the need for a rimfire stage in the postal match at some point... Smile

Posts: 4700 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's a beautiful MKI! Looks like it's a shooter, too.

Thanks! It is Smile

There's a long story behind that Mk I. It's been back to Ruger twice:

First time was when it had been sitting in a foam-lined case. Still not sure what happened, to this day, but I went to open the case, something had interacted with something and the metal was all covered in brown, bubbly, crusty stuff and the bluing eaten-off. Sent in to Ruger for re-bluing. (To this day I refuse to use foam-lined cases because of that incident.)

The second time was when a friend tried to tune the trigger. He botched it. Well, the thing had always been a stone bitch to get the barrel separated from the frame and back together again, anyway, so back to Ruger it went. They fixed all that up and it came back with a dream trigger Smile

I'd originally bought it to shoot .22 cal. metal silhouette.

quote:
I'm beginning to feel the need for a rimfire stage in the postal match at some point... Smile

Sounds like a plan Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher
"The dominant media is no more ``mainstream`` than leftists are liberals." -- me

Posts: 20901 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post