SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Updated w/pics ** Need info on Beretta M1951
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Updated w/pics ** Need info on Beretta M1951 Login/Join 
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted
Found some surplus M1951's for just under $300. I don't know anything about them. Read a little about then and looked at the forum for them. My question is are they reliable and is the price appropriate?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: molachi,

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
You've probably run across some Israeli surplus Berettas. The 1951 is the grandfather of today's Beretta 92 series. I own one, a late Garcia import. These pistols feel great in the hand. The safety is less than "ergonomic", being a pushbutton crossbolt. Magazines may be hard to find for the 1951.

Yes, they're reliable pistols. They are, after all, Berettas, but who's to say what kind of use and abuse these surplus pistols have had?

Helwan made a copy of the 1951. I know that those pistols had a tendency to crack the locking block, but that's not as a result of the design of the 1951; it's a result of being an Egyptian-made pistol.

Posts: 107771 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
You've probably run across some Israeli surplus Berettas. The 1951 is the grandfather of today's Beretta 92 series. I own one, a late Garcia import. These pistols feel great in the hand. The safety is less than "ergonomic", being a pushbutton crossbolt. Magazines may be hard to find for the 1951.

Yes, they're reliable pistols. They are, after all, Berettas, but who's to say what kind of use and abuse these surplus pistols have had?

Helwan made a copy of the 1951. I know that those pistols had a tendency to crack the locking block, but that's not as a result of the design of the 1951; it's a result of being an Egyptian-made pistol.

Thanks Boss. That's what I was hoping to hear. Guess I need to get one ordered.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Palmetto State Armory and Classic Firearms sell them for $279.99. One potential issue is the locking block breaking. There is a guy in the Netherlands that makes locking blocks for the M1951 but they are expensive.

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
Got mine from DKFirearms. $279 or $294 for hand pick. Went ahead and paid the extra $15 and got the hand pick. Should be here Monday.

posted Hide Post
Years and years ago, a friend had a late commercial 1951 with lever safety, a lot more convenient for us 1911istas. It still had the odd Tullio Marengoni magazine catch which carried over into the first type model 92.

He traded it off when he read a scare story about P38 slides cracking.

Posts: 3292 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Watson:
Years and years ago, a friend had a late commercial 1951 with lever safety...
You sure about that, Jim? In years past I was a pretty serious Beretta collector, and in all my research, I never ran across a 1951 with anything other than the standard crossbolt safety.

My 1951, serial number D01492, is proofed 1972. I guess Beretta was self-conscious about their aging pistol, because mine is marked "Model of 1971", but it's 1951 Brigadier all day long.

Now, my very early step-slide Beretta Model 92, proofed 1977, has a frame-mounted lever safety. Perhaps that's what you're thinking of.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107771 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
I posted this thread ( Sig Forum Thread - my M1951 ) about 3 years ago when I acquired a 1951. Updated the host site for the pics today so they'd show up. Still really like this Beretta. Not just because it's Italian! Razz Cool

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do know the difference between 951 and 92.
I might have conflated the lever safety model 70 and 951. It has been about 40 years.

Posts: 3292 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
The batch that Brownells is selling is roughly the same price and is nicer quality. They were Italian surplus from a different unit than what others are selling. My understanding is that brownells is importing so should be discrete rollmarks. A friend works at Beretta and suggested only to get the ones from Brownells as "hand select" from someone else won't be as nice as the normal ones. Plus, free returns if your an Edge member (just don't do the 4473 obviously)

Posts: 3091 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
italia, Nice pics.

Picture of JSW
posted Hide Post

I can’t comment on the current imports, they might be well-worn, but the Beretta 1951 itself is a fine design and quite reliable. I have a “951” that is a pleasure to shoot and has never given me one problem, besides the tiny sights which are typical of handgun designs of the time.

Most American shooters know this pistol from the inferior Helwan (and other Middle East copies) that flooded the US market years ago. I have owned some and will just say that superficially they might look the same, but they are not even close to the quality and reliability of the Beretta.

Assuming the Beretta you purchase has not been abused I believe you will be very happy with it.

Posts: 520 | Registered: June 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
Picked up my Beretta M1951 on Wednesday. Went to get it Tuesday morning and NICS check wasn't back yet. Got a call Tues. afternoon that the check finally came back. Took just over 5 hrs. Need to field strip and lube it. Did find the PS stamo so it was a Police Special. Here are some pics

This message has been edited. Last edited by: molachi,

Picture of JSW
posted Hide Post
Nice, I believe you'll be happy with it. Where did they put the import mark?

Posts: 520 | Registered: June 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JSW:
Nice, I believe you'll be happy with it. Where did they put the import mark?

Sorry for the delay in answering. Had outpatient surgery yesterday morning.

PW Arms is on the bottom. Has PS on the right side and on the left is this mark. Can't find out what it means.