SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Are the takedown levers of a Glock supposed to drop on each shot
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are the takedown levers of a Glock supposed to drop on each shot Login/Join 
Member!
posted
I did not think the takedown levers on a glock were supposed to move normally when shooting. I just assumed this, but then saw this video of Miculek shooting a Glock made up to look like a Nintendo gun. The thing is that the takedown lever is painted bright red so I noticed it drop down as the slide went back each time under firing. Is it normally supposed to? You can see it quite clearly at the 17 second and again at the 2:30 mark in a super slowmo shot. I can't get mine to move on my Glock 19 when I pull the slide manually, but obviously actually firing is different.

Posts: 4343 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
This is the best video ever.

I don't know if the take down is supposed to move, but maybe there are some other high speed videos out there to compare?

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
I guess it does. I never noticed it in any other videos since it's normally really hard to see. Found this super slow motion vid of Glock 19 in ransom rest. Looks like the take down pops down twice when firing. Never knew this was happening.

Kind of weird since it doesn't move in the slightest when the slide is racked manuualy.

Posts: 4343 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I wonder if there is a reasoning that they went to a coil spring on the Gen5s instead of the usual leaf spring?

Posts: 7420 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I've seen it drop before in other slow-motion videos. so long as it pops back into place before lock-up, I suppose it's never been an issue.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
The more subtle thing about this video is it unfortunately confirms the further demise of Smith and Wesson.

Smith has been hurting financially for quite a while. They have sold off a lot of assets, 2.0s have gotten dirt cheap, now their long time pitch man and sponsored shooter is shooting videos with a..........Glock.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
They have sold off a lot of assets

?????

Seems like they've (AOB) been doing the opposite in recent years. Buyouts of Crimson Trace, Taylor Brands (blade and other tools) and Gemtech. Yeah they closed up Gemtech's former home base operations, but I suppose that's not really a surprise since they were being sued by the management remnants of Gemtech after AOB fired a couple of top dogs that used to run the suppressor maker. Sue the boss? Guess what, your jobs no longer exists, because we've now decide to move the kit and caboodle to Massachusetts. Because that's what the one doing the takeover does: reorganize. Especially if the ones that are taken over forces their hand. Shame on the former owner(s) of Gemtech for taking the money and running.

If there's anything that's exacerbated the doldrums that the AOB's share price has been in it's likely because of these takeovers. They probably assumed some amount of debt with one if not more of these buyouts. The consumer gun industry as a whole is very much still dealing with the post-Obama blues. Even with the gains of the anti-gunners in Congress and across the country, the consumer is generally spent out after the Barrack bum rush. AOB is no different, from what I've seen.

As for the takedown bar doing what it's doing...well as long as the guns don't break apart it's all good. And over three decades, how many times have we seen that actually happen?

That's what I thought. Non-issue.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
The more subtle thing about this video is it unfortunately confirms the further demise of Smith and Wesson.

Smith has been hurting financially for quite a while. They have sold off a lot of assets, 2.0s have gotten dirt cheap, now their long time pitch man and sponsored shooter is shooting videos with a..........Glock.

Does anyone make a custom S&W styled like the Nintendo zapper?

You can find Miculek shooting all kinds of things...

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't read too much into that video. On the other hand, I wish S&W would get bought out. Which they invariably would if they get into more financial trouble. Make some at least limited production metal guns, remove the Hilary hole, etc.

Posts: 7436 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
This is the best video ever.

Big Grin Big Grin
Poor Yoshi!

Didn't know the slide lock did that bouncing when fired, thanks for the video.
Explains why some have seen them break, along with trigger springs and slide stop spring, (none of which I have seen with my own eyes) that the gen5 changed.
Those all went bye bye.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3774 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:

If you ask me, he's shooting a Glock (G17?) because it actually looks most like the actual old Nintendo gun.

Posts: 33750 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King of Goodness
Picture of varoadking
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:

If you ask me, he's shooting a Glock (G17?) because it actually looks most like the actual old Nintendo gun.

He mentioned that it's a G41...

Posts: 6699 | Location: Dixie | Registered: February 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Whether or not it's by design, I do not know, but yes, slow motion of a Glock firing confirms that that tiiiiiny little leaf spring gets compressed with each shot.

Do you know what happens to your pistol if that spring breaks? No workee, no workee at all. This is something to ponder.

I wonder if this is why the newer Glock models use a coil spring instead of a leaf spring to tension the takedown lever.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107461 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
As far as I’m concerned, that little leaf spring slide lock spring is the most important spring to maintain in the Glock pistols. I’ve launched my Glock slide down range twice when that spring broke. Now, I change out that spring every year or two. Only a few bucks. Also, they have redesigned that spring over the years and it’s now much stronger than the old ones. If your Glock slide lock spring is more than 5 years old, I’d spend the $3 and change it out. And yes, the new gen 5 guns come with a coil spring, which should be more durable and less likely to break, a smart upgrade by Glock.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
1. Has there been many failures documented from the leaf style spring?

2. Jerry, please shoot the fucking dog. Wink

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

This is a job for Miculek. He shoots whatever brand pays him for his endorsement. He is a Mossberg spokesman as well.

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Todays ignorant question:
Why does it drop? Frame flex?

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16059 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
That spring broke on mine (G19, mfg. 1998) circa 2000. The slide, with the barrel and recoil spring attached, flew off the front of the frame when I released the slide after a reload. I never did find the tab itself. If the slide lock moves with each shot, that explains how the spring fatigued. If it only held the slide lock pushed up all the time and didn't allow any movement, it wouldn't fatigue, at least not for a very long time. This is similar to keeping magazines loaded all the time; the fatigue is not from simply being compressed, but when it cycles.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: egregore,

Posts: 27918 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Todays ignorant question:
Why does it drop? Frame flex?

My guess would be kinetic energy.

Posts: 7420 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmmm... Could be. And it appears to drop twice with each shot.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16059 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post