SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Kydex guys, how hot to form it?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kydex guys, how hot to form it? Login/Join 
Picture of C-Dubs
posted
Saw 0-0’s thread about a new mattress, and it reminded me:

• I just got a new mattress, and an adjustable frame.
  • I used to have a regular box spring and mattress.
  • I also used to use an L-shaped bedside holster made of kydex, that slid between the box spring and mattress

Playing with the new adjustable frame each night, my bedside holster no longer stays put where I want it.

Since it’s made of kydex, I’m hoping I can just bend it to go over my wooden bed frame rail, instead of between the frame and mattress.

But, I’ve never tried to mold kydex.

I’m sure we have some members here who are pros at it. So, just how hot do I need to get it before it’s pliable?

Thanks in advance!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: C-Dubs,

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”
  •  
    Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I don’t know the exact temperature, but a standard heat gun on high takes only a couple of minutes to get there.

Posts: 1806 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Alea iacta est
    Picture of Beancooker
    posted Hide Post
    I baked in a cookie sheet at the lowest oven setting. Maybe 180 for 5-10 min or so.

quote:
    Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
    The “lol” thread

Posts: 4029 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
    Picture of 92fstech
    posted Hide Post
    I set my toaster oven to 250 and just keep an eye on it until it's the malleability that I want. If I leave it in too long at that temp, bad things happen. All you really need is a heat gun...heat it until it lets you form it how you want.

Posts: 8592 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of C-Dubs
    posted Hide Post
    Thanks for the replies.

Heat gun it is.
    I can direct the heat more accurately to the one area I need to bend instead of using an oven and making it all soft.

My bed frame rail is a 1x8.
    Just need to turn the L-shape into a tight U-shape and use a scrap 1x8 to help mold it.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of bobandmikako
    posted Hide Post
    If I'm just adjusting certain areas of the holster, I cover the areas I don't want to reshape with a wet washcloth and heat the area I want to mold with a heat gun.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of C-Dubs
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by bobandmikako:
    If I'm just adjusting certain areas of the holster, I cover the areas I don't want to reshape with a wet washcloth and heat the area I want to mold with a heat gun.

Thanks for the tip!

posted Hide Post
    It's been a minute since I played with kydex but definitely wave it over the area vs holding it in one spot. Sorry if that seems silly but I messed it up in the past.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Also depending on the kind of heat gun you have you really don't want to blast really high temps at it. The thermoforming range is in the +- 400F. So either adjust your heat gun (if its adjustable) or keep it at a decent distance and go slow. You will easily be able to tell when you are at the workable range as the material becomes obviously pliable. I make adjustments all the time in kydex and have not had the issue of having to cool other areas, but I guess that will really depend on the shape change needed. For what you want it sounds very easy. apply heat and pressure in the direction you want to go and when its hot enough it will move. There is a small amount of springback if your tolerances need to accommodate that.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11007 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post