SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    WWII CMP 1911
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WWII CMP 1911 Login/Join 
posted
Is a WWII 1911 CMP worth more than the $1,050 than they are asking? By lottery I am given the opportunity for a WWII 1911. I selected the "Service Grade," best one, but the price is $1,050. I thought the price would be cheaper with this program.

"Service Grade, $1050: Pistol may exhibit minor pitting and wear on exterior surfaces and friction surfaces. Grips are complete with no cracks. Pistol is in issuable condition. Pistols may contain commercial parts."

Comments would be helpful

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!

Posts: 883 | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
yes,

I have bought 2 from folks that were not satisficed, at what they paid for them, and flipped both for over $1500

when you go into, realize you will likely get a mixmaster that has been refinished once or more, maybe, and may have replacement slide, barrel, slide and frame may not match (Colt slide, rem serial block etc)

one guy did not like the modern gray finish, the other guy thought he should have gotten a museum piece

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Sounds like your friends had unrealistic expectations with that.

Posts: 3147 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My LGS had a 1911A1, all Colt with issue holster, belt and mag pouch. WWII ammo box and all GI paperwork for the gun. 3K.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16089 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
$800 is what beater guns sell for now. Anyone who would pay $1500 for a CMP gun needs his head examined! I would look for a nice Remington Rand that is original and pay a bit more, but have something worth while.

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p08:
$800 is what beater guns sell for now. Anyone who would pay $1500 for a CMP gun needs his head examined! I would look for a nice Remington Rand that is original and pay a bit more, but have something worth while.

Roll Eyes

Posts: 17125 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am very happy with my USMC rebuild from the cmp
Even rebuilt they are a piece of history to be appreciated.
Mine has a post WWII colt slide and barrel on a rand frame.
It would have been nice to get a matching slide and frame in regards to maker and some have.
They are less collectible than the all matching stuff on the market, but less expensive and will still hold value just fine, plus won’t be harmed value wise with a bit of shooting.

Posts: 3288 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:
Originally posted by p08:

Roll Eyes

exactly,,,,

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
If you have the money, I'd definitely say they're worth $1050. I didn't pursue one, because I have a hard time justifying spending that kind of money on any gun, and I already have a DRMO 1943 Remington Rand in my safe (although someday I'm going to have to give that back). I do have a couple of CMP Garands, and both are mixmasters.

I get that there's a type of collector who prefers a true, all parts matching piece, but IMO part of the allure of military surplus weaponry is the story of the gun itself, and re-arsenaling is part of that. If somebody wants a pristine, numbers matching piece, those are out there to be had....but then you have a gun that likely spent it's life in a crate packed in cosmoline rather than out in the field getting the job done.

Posts: 8568 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SSAreGreat:
Is a WWII 1911 CMP worth more than the $1,050 than they are asking? By lottery I am given the opportunity for a WWII 1911. I selected the "Service Grade," best one, but the price is $1,050. I thought the price would be cheaper with this program.

"Service Grade, $1050: Pistol may exhibit minor pitting and wear on exterior surfaces and friction surfaces. Grips are complete with no cracks. Pistol is in issuable condition. Pistols may contain commercial parts."

Comments would be helpful

With the caveat anything is worth what someone will pay for it and these CMP1911's might not be everybody's cup of tea I will say this--these CMP 1911's are an interesting sub set of 1911 collecting. And NRA/DCM/CMP sold firearms (except auction items) have ALWAYS been a great value. $20.00 M1 Carbines anyone?

I would pay $1,050 all day long for all I could get, and I got my one limit SG. The only disadvantage you have with any CMP gun is you don't know what you're going to get. I have paid more than that $1,500 in the secondary market for interesting variations (matching frame slide, Marine rebuilds, etc,) but at least you know what you are getting. And given the history and premium people pay for NRA/DCM/CMP provenance they're a good investment.

Obviously just my opinion worth the paper it's printed on.

Anyway, off to get my head examined!

Posts: 209 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: July 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I didn't already have a couple, I'd proabably pick up a CMP gun. But since I already have a couple, the price is a bit more than I'd want to pay.

Posts: 937 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I made it into the second round. After waiting almost a year, a very nice young lady contacted me to say I had been selected to buy. Rack grade is all that was available so I passed.

The interesting bits were:
If I passed on this, I was out entirely unless they had a 3rd round which is unlikely.

The armorer tells them every day what is available that day to sell. This day they only had rack grade. Tomorrow it may be service grade or some mix.

So you not only have to get drawn with a reasonable number (mine was 23,000 something) but the right pistol grade has to be available on the specific day you make it to the top of the stack.

Oh well.

Posts: 772 | Location: Southeast Tennessee | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was in the Army in the '80s when our combat engineer unit went from wheeled to mechanized. The infantry and cav were getting Bradleys, so we were handed down their M113s.

Drivers and TCs were issued 1911s that came from arsenal storage, and they were in sorry condition. I don't think I would spend $1k+ on one.

I've read that some people were happier with the Rack Grade guns because they preferred the used look vs a fresh arsenal refinish.

Posts: 266 | Registered: September 12, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
Check out the CMP auction site for the good 1911s. They list 5 for sale every Monday with the auctions ending Friday evening. A few very nice Union Switch and Signal ones on this week. $$$

$1050 for a WWII 1911 is cheap these days. Even one that has been used for 50 years.

CMP Auction 1911s

Posts: 729 | Location: Middle (of nowhere) Georgia  | Registered: December 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I fall into the category of people who experienced maximum butthurt when they turned down C&Rs. I decided to hit the market and see what was out there and I ended up with a very nice WW1 and 2 gun for just about the same price. I forget off the top of my head the difference, might have been closer to 1250. The nice thing was I got to pick my specific gun, see proofs and finish before the purchase and I broke even when considering the straight to my door no tax no 01FFL transfer. I do believe they are worth your mentioned price however I would say you could also have your pick perhaps with some hunting for not much more.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sauer Kraut:
Check out the CMP auction site for the good 1911s. They list 5 for sale every Monday with the auctions ending Friday evening. A few very nice Union Switch and Signal ones on this week. $$$

$1050 for a WWII 1911 is cheap these days. Even one that has been used for 50 years.

CMP Auction 1911s

WOW $3k+ for a reparked beater US&S! One good thing about being older is that I got mine long ago when they were cheap!I still think if you take the time to look you will find a good deal. CMP auctions and GB are for people who are too lazy to go hunt down a nice gun.

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
All milsurps used to be cheap. The days of $20 M1 carbines “U pick” out of a wooden barrel in the corner of a gun shop are long over. Now you can add a couple zeros. They’re not making WWII anything anymore. You guys who’ve been collecting for decades and scoffing at these prices clearly aren’t the market, and that’s fine.

Prices on everything have risen. You’re not buying muscle cars for a couple grand new off the lot, either. Things have changed since the 60’s and 70’s.

I’ll bet guys your age were saying the same shit in those days about what people were paying for cars from the 20’s. “He paid what for a beater model T?” It’s all relative.

Posts: 17125 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Prices on everything have risen. You’re not buying muscle cars for a couple grand new off the lot, either. Things have changed since the 60’s and 70’s.

I’ll bet guys your age were saying the same shit in those days about what people were paying for cars from the 20’s. “He paid what for a beater model T?” It’s all relative.

Yup. I bought a 1944 Remington Rand with 1944 holster back in 2007 for $1100. Excellent shape. I didn't even bother trying for the CMP 1911's. A service grade for $1100 in 2020? Total bargain. It's history, not a "beater 1911". They don't make any more of that history either. And the prices will only get higher.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I had this almost exact convo with a customer this past weekend,

he received a Rack Grade, all that was available to him that day, and it had a replacement slide,
RR frame, he did not know what the barrel was marked etcetc

I think he told me he paid $950 for it,

I told him I would gladly pay him $950 for it, + whatever fee his dealer charged him, (likely $25 )

I was upfront with him (we used to work together ) and let him know what I had sold them for in the past,

he then got it, his CMP deal was not as bad as he thought it was