SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Got asked to help a friend get some guns before the election.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got asked to help a friend get some guns before the election. Login/Join 
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
If they can be found, probably best to focus on the items are highest on the 'evil' list...semi-auto rifles, semi-auto shotguns, and some semi-auto pistols (particularly those holding more than 10 rounds). And standard capacity mags to go along with them. One could easily drop $10K+ in those categories picking up a few different variants.

Chances are pretty good bolt, pump, lever long guns and revolvers will be available, at least for awhile, without too many specific restrictions, so those would be farther down the list.

$.02 worth.

Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My personal choices would be a bit non-standard, but the most universal and minimal well-equipped loadout I can think of for this scenario would look something like this:

P365XL
LCP 2

Any name brand AR (plus optics)
Mossberg 590

Plus holsters, mags, and ammo.

There are of course any number of substitutes that would be equivalent. Glock 19 or 48, Remington 870, etc. etc. etc.

As others pointed out, it's going to be a royal PITA to get exactly what you want, on demand. I would offer advice and pointers to friend, but it's really not cool for him to saddle you with the responsibility of figuring out how to locate and acquire all this stuff right now. It's not like you're an expert in buying during a riot.

Posts: 471 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dakor:
Spend 1/3 on guns, a little more on optics/lights and the rest on ammo + training. What firearms depends on his carry & HD needs, which is situation specific. Little gained from knowing what we’d select w/o understanding our context.

Exactly this.

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
Two Glock 19s (house and medium carry gun filled by the same gun, a spare to boot)
S&W J Frame 442 or 642 (no lock of course) for pocket gun/BUG
AR - Springfield, S&W, Ruger, etc...
Shotgun - Mossberg 500/590 or Remington 870

Finding stuff is harder now, but $10-$15,000 should get you all of those items.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1898 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2-3 Glocks 17's or a 19 for carrying.
Mags, mags, and more mags.
Even more ammo.

2 AR's. One of them possibly a pistol / forearm brace.
Mags, mags, and more mags.
Even more ammo....

A good shotgun. 870 or 500
You don't need mags,
But you do need ammo.

Toss some lights on them. Possibly ones with the laser as well.

He needs to know HOW and WHEN to use them.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8350 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Extra credit for not quoting Arnold:

Phased plasma rifle in 40 watt range.

quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
I'd get:
Ruger LCP 2
Shield 9mm
CZ75B
Colt competition 1911 .45
Remington 1100 12 gauge 20" barrel and 28" barrel
Colt 6920 magpul edition
If hunting/woods is involved:
Ruger 10/22
S+W 629 or 500 6" +/-
and something in .308 with a leaupold scope

Posts: 65 | Registered: September 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I second the ammo and training, especially training ! First class training is not cheap- a gunsite 250 class runs near 2 grand for tuition alone.
Regarding guns, I would keep it simple and not get too bogged down with gadgets.
Rifles:
A Colt 6920 or similar M4 style rifle (hard to find right now) 6 months ago rugers or S&W they were 600 bucks everywhere!
A S&W 15/22 for inexpensive manual of arms practice
A Ruger LCP II for a pocket carry, or a sig 238 for a little higher end.
For a larger carry gun a glock 19 or similar size S&W walther sig beretta etc
A decent quality .22 pistol for basic marksmanship practice ( Ruger mark IV or similar)

Posts: 3292 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
All of the normal firearms are spoken for.

You should be able to find an SVI or a Hi Point.

Posts: 9156 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
This would be based on the current situation and isn't what I use or prefer. Diversity of calibers should mean a better chance of finding ammo.

Full size M&P 45 or M&P 40S&W
Carry M&P Shield 45 or Shield 9mm
Pocket S&W 432PD or LCP .380ACP
AR carbine 16" in 5.56mm
AR rifle 18" in 7.62mm
Mossberg 590 in 12 gauge

Posts: 1059 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I would suggest he purchase a half dozen G19s, and a half dozen mid pack ARs.

The rest in ammo and mags.

That sets a man for a life time.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackwater
posted Hide Post
In a perfect/available world the aforementioned G19 and mags first.
Otherwise any concealable handgun like a P320, S&W MP2.0, 365/XL/Hellcat and a couple of extra mags for each.

The S&W's are available in abundance.
S&W BG for the pocket or 442.

Agree on the mid AR, Springfield SAINT or SW MP15, mags and red dot.
Ammo for the above if you can find it.

Shotgun later, but I don't think that's an immediate must have.

Joe

Posts: 2525 | Location: Az | Registered: October 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
all these lists are great, and similar, but the thing is, now thru the election (and maybe longer) the market is just about wiped out,

as in, most of the stuff listed is hard to find now, or pricey, or both,

and ammo is even worse,

may be a good time to chat with your friend about timeliness and to read the several threads here on panics and buying,

stepping off the soap box, , get on grab a gun, or gunbroker, and just have him search what he feels he may like,

really need to get some stuff in his hand to see what he likes, so maybe get a handful of friends together and have a day at the range so he can try some stuff out,

meanwhile, nothing wrong with a PSA/RRA/Armalite/etc branded rifle that will not break the bank

handguns,, need more info on handsize and experience honestly, but the suggestion of a J frame is valid, everyone should have at least one,

Pretty much sums it up,..it’s more about what he can access and for how much...

Posts: 1352 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did you tell him he’s 3 months late ?

Posts: 4770 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
TRAINING! That is our problem in the gun world.... Spend $500 - $1000 on a hand gun and the same on a rifle and shot gun and then invest most of the rest on training....

If they ever start back up... the best handgun class is out at Front Sight... their 4 day class.
once you have the basics drilled in:

After that: Todd Rassa and Force on Force training... what one learns there is that you will have less than a second to decide how to react and a lot longer to explain....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
P365: Pocket carry
P320 X-Compact: Primary CCW and training pistol
P320 TACOPS w/21-round mags: Bedside/nightstand gun
(All 3 have similar manual of arms and trigger feel, P320's share mags and spare parts, all 3 can be easily reconfigured in the future if exact model can't be found today)

Rugged Obsidian 9: Compact suppressor for bedside gun (when approved)
DDM4V7 or LWRC IC DI: Primary lightweight and high quality AR15 for home defense
AR15 pistol w/folding stock: Backpack gun for road trips
SCAR 17S: Capable of greater distance/firepower than an AR15, still easier to handle/shoot/reload than a shotgun

Lights for all, lots of mags/ammo, and some training classes.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Nothing to add other than back up whats said

Guns - couple of pocket pistols LCR, LC9, P365 or similar, couple of carry G19, G26, P320, CZ P10, couple of full size, CZ P07, G17, G34, Sig MPX or Scorpion.

Rifles - AR - 15, AK,

Shotgun - Bullpup Panzer BP-12

Mags - all you can find

Ammo - all you can find

Optics

He's made the decision, some combination of the above, and a safe, cleaning supplies, UPULA loader, AR/AK Mag Speed Loader from Podavach

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Glock 19
SIG P365 or Glock 43
Ruger 10/22
Tier 1 AR with Aimpoint
Benelli M2/M4 or Remington V3 Tactical
Minimum of 10 extra magazines for each weapon with a detachable magazine
Ammo, ammo, ammo.
Spare parts.

Posts: 12467 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
For what it’s worth CDNN is showing HK P30’s in stock. You could do a whole lot worse for a do it all handgun.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a friend ask me to help him decide on his first firearm. He fell in love with a Glock 19 he rented at the range and he order a gen 5 for himself. I have a feeling an 870 is in his future as well.

Posts: 130 | Location: GA | Registered: April 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Austin228
posted Hide Post
honestly if he has $10 - 15K, just get a legal select fire rifle something or other, if I could spend it over again I would have just put into NFA stuff.

here's an FN FNC 3 shot burst model for $15K

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/for...-on-form-4-in-idaho/

Posts: 1471 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: March 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post