Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mk25 issue Login/Join 
Picture of sf192nd
posted
Just picked up a Mk25 to go with my older 226 Navy. Well Low and behold Houston we have a problem. It appears the mag catch is defective. When you insert a mag it will not seat and it pop back out a little. Will do it if you even try seat it forcibly. You also also you can pull a mag even out even when it's seated. Problem also appears to be worse when it's in slide lock. The problem is not consistent either. One time the mag will seat properly the next time it will not. All my mec gars mags work fine in the older 226 Navy. So I know the mk25 is problem. Well looks like Sig warranty will be getting a call in am. Gun is brand new.. Depressing to say the least. I don't remember them going over this issue in the p series armor's class years ago either. I know we discussed magazine catch issues but I can't recall this one.

Posts: 646 | Registered: October 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
It's a brand new gun, under lifetime warranty to the original owner. Sure, it's bit of a bummer to get them to rectify the issue, but "depressing"?

Q

Posts: 26441 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sf192nd
posted Hide Post
It's just depressing because it's a brand new gun that's all.

posted Hide Post
Something simple like that I would pull the mag catch and make sure there isn’t something easily rectifiable before I spent the time sending it back. If you are an armorer that shouldn’t even raise a sweat.

From your description, the mag catch isn’t engaging the cut in the mag body or not holding it at least. With the slide removed will the mag seat and lock/stay in place? I have to think spring is installed incorrectly/defective or there is a burr on the mag catch body. Anything else sounds unlikely. I would also check the baseplate of your mags to make sure they aren’t interfering. Do the mags that came with the gun work?

I would troubleshoot a bit before sending it in. Won’t void the warranty, pretty easy, and turnaround times might not be good. If you can narrow it down to specific mags that might be helpful as well.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Mag release if fairly simple to remove & swap from another P226 for isolation purposes. Less than a few minutes. The MR channel could also be inspected at that time. If the MR is the culprit, contact Sig CS for a new one. A few minutes work can spare you a few weeks without the gun.

Posts: 13818 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
A brand new gun is more likely to have mechanical problems than one that has been used and fired for several hundred rounds. That’s why prudent gun owners test them before relying on them for serious purposes.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So, new guns should have some rounds put through them before you decide to use them for serious work. Whodathunk?

Someone should start a thread on this very topic!

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sf192nd
posted Hide Post
I realize stuff happens but that's what warranties a for. No doubt I could swap the mag catch in no time.I pondered just doing that last night and saying the hell with it. If it was my only 226 then yeah I would do that Though on a side note this issue finally caused me to break down and send my 320 back in for the trigger upgrade. So both of them are going back to Sig. Talked to Sig this morning they said I should have both of them back in 2 to 3 weeks.

posted Hide Post
Sloppy assembly/workmanship. My limited experience is that warranty service will repair only the stated problem and not do an inspection of entire pistol. Carefully inspect the new gun for other issues before sending it in.

Quality of Sig pistols seems very good to me based on my personal examples. Nevertheless, there is always the distracted worker who wants to go to lunch or leave for home. Once fixed, you will have a very fine pistol.

Posts: 2047 | Location: East Central Toadsuck, Florida | Registered: September 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sf192nd:
It's just depressing because it's a brand new gun that's all.

Yes, I agree.
I would suggest that you look at your initial inspection and warranty adjustment as part of the process of a new purchase. Assembly staff are not overpaid or expected to produce a perfect piece every time.

Every time I have purchased a 1911 pistol, the trigger needed to have work. Certain upscale quality manufacturers will include this skilled work in the higher purchase price. Sig offers good quality but sometimes needs to tweaked by the repair shop.

Posts: 2047 | Location: East Central Toadsuck, Florida | Registered: September 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CAR
posted Hide Post
Probably a mis-installed/incorrect mag catch spring or a burr or other problem on the mag catch, should be an easy fix. SIG P226s hold their magazine high up in the well without much slop so the mag catch has to be spot on dimensionally.

You may want to check the mag well to ensure there are no debris blocking full insertion of the magazine.

I got a bad mag catch (bad casting) on a Colt Government Model once and had the same issue. Colt sent me a replacement catch and all was good after that.

Posts: 926 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Everybody has their comfort level but I would take out the mag catch and reassemble just to make sure it isn’t something as ridiculous as improper install. Can’t hurt the gun, if that doesn’t fix it you still have the label, but the OP has made up his mind which is totally reasonable. The factory will make it right regardless.

Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I'd probably try to fix it myself... but there is nothing wrong with sending it back and in someways that is the right thing to do... somebody in quality control needs to do some 'splainin'.

In fact, now that I think about it... I took a class (long range handgun shooting at the Sig Academy) a few years back with that guy.... at least then he was the guy who proved the gun after it came off the line... spent all day shooting one round through each....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the biggest gun buying frenzy ever, nobody is going to be asked to explain anything. If that is your reason for not attempting to even look under the hood I respectfully retract my reasonable in my post above. Lol.

They don’t care. Nobody is getting a talking to. You might just get a gun back like The Ruger Redhawk guy. Sends it in for one thing, gets it back with a big ugly file mark where “headspace issues” were addressed. Ugh.

There is this assumption by many that the factory is some magic place. News flash, John Browning isn’t going over your gun. Some overworked potentially new employee is. We are literally talking about removing the mag catch and looking. This isn’t exactly like timing the barrel on an antique SAA. It’s removing the mag catch. The problem will either be wildly obvious or it won’t.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
It's a brand new gun, under lifetime warranty to the original owner. Sure, it's bit of a bummer to get them to rectify the issue, but "depressing"?

I have nothing of substance to add to the discussion, but can I suggest that “disappointing” more accurately reflects original posters complaint.

Posts: 364 | Location: Mansfield, TX | Registered: April 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post