SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Another new Colt
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another new Colt Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
I've gone from no Colts to two in the past couple of months. Got this one out of lay-a-way jail today. Colt Defender Lightweight, Talo edition in .45ACP. Talo did some limited runs on the Defenders using different colors of Cerakote on the frame and different grip panels. This is 1 of 100 they did in brown. Normally not a fan of "colored" pistols (was that racist?), but this one I like. It's different but subtle and the same price as the standard Defender and this one came with VZ thin grips.

I originally went in looking for a Springfield EMP. They had both the original 3" and 4" in stock. My sales guy asked me to consider the Colt Defender instead. According to him they have had numerous EMP's sent back to have ejectors fixed and pinned back into place. The factory glues them in initially. They've had several customers purchase Defenders with no issues at all. In addition it's pretty much standard 1911 parts and not the proprietary parts of the Springfield. So if something goes wrong, chances are they already have the parts and don't need to order anything from the lower 48.

So I'm trying a 3" 1911 again. Had a Kimber CDP years ago that I liked but it would not reliably feed Federal 230gr Hydrashoks which has been my goto load in 45 ACP. That was even after my gunsmith changed out the 9mm extractor that my .45ACP pistol came with from the factory for a .45 ACP extractor. Also looking to standardize in my carry rotation. After trying just about everything on the planet; buying guns, buying holsters, buying ammo; then selling gun, giving away holster and finding another gun to use the same ammo in. I'm doing something different and stating with a gun I already know how to shoot well, the 1911.

So they had the Standard defender, this one and a Talo in blue. While nice, the blue was a little over the top. Hoping it shoots as goods it looks.

The label on the box.

Right side.

Left side.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 2000Z-71,

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11789 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow that is handsome. I was not familiar with this model and now must do some digging. Thanks a lot hahaha my wife thanks you too !!!

Posts: 176 | Location: Rochester NY | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
I saw one with a blue frame the other day as well.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Good call.

Nice pistol

0:01

Posts: 4219 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
That's a handsome pistol and no mistake.

My Defender, my very first Colt, ever, discussed at some length in So I Ended-Up With A Colt Defender. Update: Range Report Added. shot very well for me right out of the gate. Now that the sights are right, it's right on the money for me.

It was a little banged up, complete with idiot mark, from the PO. The first gunsmith to try to fix the sights for me banged it up a bit more. But it shoots like the dickens for me and feeds everything reliably, so I don't care. Relieves me of the worry over banging it up Wink - or the cops doing so should I ever have the bad fortune of having to use it.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks very nice, take it out and shoot it and let us know how it runs. It's recommended to change the recoil spring on the 3" 1911's every 1000 rounds.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Heck you are going to need a bigger trailer when you leave AK than when you arrived! Big Grin

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice gun! Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 987 | Registered: January 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Fine looking pistol you got there. Smile

Posts: 17247 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Heck you are going to need a bigger trailer when you leave AK than when you arrived! Big Grin

HaHa. Smile

Unfortunately this one will need to be in checked luggage on a plane or in the truck if I take the ferry down. Canada prohibits anything with less than a 4.1" barrel from being transported in their country.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 2000Z-71,

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11789 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Those grips really make it pop. Nice score.

Posts: 6922 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks good 71.

Posts: 1572 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post