SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Anyone hear of Sig Factory 'Slim Grips' for the P.229R-DAK Series ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone hear of Sig Factory 'Slim Grips' for the P.229R-DAK Series ? Login/Join 
posted
Hello Gents, As I was reacquainting myself with long unfondled Sig P.229R-DAK, along with my other few Sig P Series Pistols, I recalled that years ago I had ordered a pair of Sig Factory 'Slim Grips'for my 229, & unfortunately can't seem to remember exactly where I purchased them. It may have been from Sig direct, or perhaps from some Distributor, probably via "Top Gun Supply", IIRC. However after my purchase of the initial pair, I was never able to learn anything about these Grips, other than actually having a set. Does anyone here happen to either recall these, or have knowledge as to why they were never available after that initial run ? ANY information will be very much appreciated. THANK YOU

Best, Dom P.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dpast32,

Posts: 156 | Location: New England Region, of USA | Registered: January 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Ah, yes: the P229 DAK “slim” grips.

The set I have I ordered directly from SIG.

I saw them available for only a very short time, and they were rather strange in that from the side they appear to have the cut for a decocking lever. In fact, though, there’s no room under the grip for the lever to be installed.

Beyond that, I know nothing about them. I always thought that they were a limited run item for an agency that issued DAK P229 pistols and wanted them for shooters with smaller hands, but that’s just speculation.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
THANKS 'Sighfreund', very much ! That's exactly what I was referring to !! I've had mine for so long now I've forgotten where I purchased them from. As soon as I learned about their being available, I knew that I simply had to have a pair. I'm one of those people who finds the Sig P.225 to have been almost 'made for my hand', to give you an idea as to grip size preference. I noticed a difference immediately after installing my Slim set, as opposed to the standard 229's grips.

Right after Posting this Query, I initiated a quick search on the Web to see what I might find, or if any are still available, etc. According to my very brief search, it appears as if a few are still available, usually 'used', & or 'New / Old Stock'. However, they're not at all cheap, running around $125 +/- for an unused pair. Naturally way above what you & I paid many moons ago !! For my P.226R-DAK I chose to go with a very nice set of Hogue G10's in checkered FDE color, which in my opinion are relatively as thin 'more of less' than my 229's Factory Slim set.

I probably would have gone with the Factory Slim's for my 226 also, but simply couldn't locate any, anywhere, & assumed that they weren't produced for the 226 versions, just for the 229's ? ( In fact, I wasn't even aware that Sig offered OD Green P.226 Grips which fit my DAK variant ? Naturally I had to order a set just to have in stock. )

I'm still very curious as to whom, or what particular Contract these 229 Slim Grips were produced for, or were they simply just another type of Sig Factory Grips available on order should anyone wish a pair ? I'm also curious regarding the OD Green 226 versions, if they were produced on special order, or just as another choice for Sig's customers ? I have to admit that I & also perhaps yourself still lament the end of the Sig P Series, although they're still available should anyone desire one. But, I guess I'm showing my age here, as it looks like a great many Sig afficianado's have moved on to the more recent Series of Sig's offerings. And as much as I might like having one of the M-18's, I just can't justify spending the money to pick one up ask truly don't need it. THANKS AGAIN for your kind reply, I appreciate it.

Best, Dom P.

Posts: 156 | Location: New England Region, of USA | Registered: January 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And in reply to your assumption regarding these Slim Grips being for an particular Agency, & produced as an limited run, I agree with that 100%. That was always my assumption, as if they weren't made for that purpose, I'm absolutely certain we would be seeing many more Slim users out there as many tend to agree that the P.229's can be a handful. I was hoping someone out there might know their history, so I assume that they were produced in relatively small quantities, but as you said, we simply can't be sure at this point ?

Best, Dom P.

posted Hide Post
Would either of you be able to comment if they are any more trim than a set of E2 grips? Thanks.

Posts: 383 | Location: Phoenix Aridzona | Registered: March 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That my Friend would be difficult for me because I haven't had very much experience with the E2 style Grip variants. I had considered have one or possibly more of my newer Model Sigs so modified, but I really didn't feel like it warranted in my particular situation. I haven't been using mine all that much since Retiring, so I couldn't justify the extra expense. So sorry I can't say for certain, yet from everything I've heard, they do appear to be an marked improvement in relation to grip width, at least to the standard sized 229 Grips, FWIW.

Best, Dom P.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VictorLouis:
Would either of you be able to comment if they are any more trim than a set of E2 grips? Thanks.

I can’t answer that directly because I don’t have a P229 E2 grip. If you can get some measurements from that part, here’s a couple from the P229 DAK slim grip:

Width over the center identification panels: ~1.292"
Circumference around the grip over the center panels: 5.83" (148mm)
Most of the size difference between the P229 slim grip and the standard grip is in the front/back distance and the absence of a decocker swell in the slim grip.

The width I measured of a P226 E2 grip was 1.323"

And talk about “just to have,” I discovered I have four(!) sets of the P229 slim grip plates, none of which are on any of my (now mostly retired) P229s. They came with two different part numbers—left and right side.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wgsigs
posted Hide Post
I am pretty sure that SIG also made Slim Grips for the DA/SA P229s. Top Gun sold them along with P220 Slim Grips but discontinued selling the P229 ones after a very short period of time.

I think the biggest difference in the Slim Grips is a lack of a "palm swell" on the back strap which is what makes the trigger reach shorter and the grips seem "thinner".

sigfreund, are your slim grips for DAK are DA/SA? If they are DA/SA, I might be interested in buying a set from you. I tried to buy a set on here a few years ago but the seller backed out because he thought they were defective. He said the Slim Grips flexed a lot and squeaked.

Posts: 2807 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wgsigs:
sigfreund, are your slim grips for DAK are DA/SA?

No, as pictured above, from the side they look like they take the decocking lever, but there is actually no room under them for that part.

I was not aware that there was a “slim” grip version for DA/SA P229 pistols. Another interesting fact.

This is a photo of the slim and regular factory P229 grips. Except for the absence of the wider section at the top of the standard grips, the width difference is very minor. But it is not exactly the same.

This picture shows the difference between the backstraps of the slim and standard grip plates.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

posted Hide Post
Hello Folks, I'm 'relatively' certain than Sig never produced any runs of the 'Slim Grips' for any of the P.226 variants. I did look all over for them, but to no avail. However, I did ultimately find & purchase a set of the Hogue G10 checkered in FDE color, & although I never actually measured their respective dimensions as opposed to the OEM Grips, they definitely do at least 'feel' somewhat thinner, well to me at least. Honestly though, I only bought them on some super close out sale from Hogue, otherwise I probably wouldn't have ever bought a set. Yet, I do admit that I am pleased I did at this point. So in closing, IMHO I personally don't think that that they ever offered Sig Factory Slim Grips for the 226 DA/SA & or DAO / DAK examples.

Best, Dom P.

Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
I have the E2 grips on my 229R DAK. Purchased them from TGS and it looks like they still carry them but are currently out of stock.

Do love them quite a bit.

Posts: 4076 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post