SIGforum
Bought another 686, but that's not the important part..

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/5590083164

September 26, 2019, 05:55 PM
jhe888
Bought another 686, but that's not the important part..
Those may not be the most comfortable grips, but they are the best-looking.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.
September 26, 2019, 07:33 PM
LMLarsen
quote:
Originally posted by ElKabong:
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
Wow! That's awesome. Pic of the 686 wearing them?

Good idea!
With and without

Now that’s just a beauty!

September 26, 2019, 08:15 PM
PGT
gorgeous! what's the value on those grips? I know tthe rules make that hard possibly
September 27, 2019, 06:34 AM
FHHM213
My second handgun purchase was a new 6” 686. That purchase had just followed a model 60 chief’s special. My at-the-time girlfriend and I attended a local gun safety / self-defense course, which was my first time to fire either pistol. Within a few .357 rounds, that 686 locked up tight. There I was on the firing line with my fancy new magnum that was completely impotent. Meanwhile, my girlfriend continued to fire away with the little 60.

The 686 was replaced with a Ruger (I think it was the new GP100). It was trouble free but not as smooth. Then the hi-capacity 9 trend caught my attention and I traded the Ruger for a smallish, stainless Smith 9mm (6906?). But, that proved to also be a problem child. I traded it for a P226 in 1988, which I still own.

Wikipedia states that Smith did recall the 686 in the late 80’s to address that problem. I just didn’t have the patience for it.
September 27, 2019, 10:08 PM
2000Z-71
Love the gun and love the grips. That said, it just doesn't quite look right to me with the ivory grips. I think this is your opportunity to go find a classic blued steel Smith as a host for those grips...

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.
September 29, 2019, 10:12 PM
ElKabong
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
Love the gun and love the grips. That said, it just doesn't quite look right to me with the ivory grips. I think this is your opportunity to go find a classic blued steel Smith as a host for those grips...

That’s pretty much where I’m at, have a couple nickel revolvers, but doesn’t look much better

At the last gun show there was a blued 3.5” pre-27 with rubber grips....blasphemy!
It’s a shooter grade, but not too bad blueing.
If it’s at the next show I may have to make an offer.

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--
September 30, 2019, 06:58 PM
SigFan
Just beautiful. And that stuff never happens to me either. Maybe I’m not looking enough?

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)
September 30, 2019, 09:47 PM
Alpha06
A 686-4, with red ramp and white outline?

The more desirable 686 and definitely a clean one.

The ivory is just icing on the cake. Nice score!

Smile

"Never apologize, it's a sign of weakness"